Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh vs perl strange interaction. Post 302486637 by jlovi on Sunday 9th of January 2011 09:10:53 PM
Old 01-09-2011
ksh vs perl strange interaction.

Hello everybody,

I isolated an issue: please try the following script (under AIX)

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh93

echo "Before Perl: \c"
read line
echo "|$line|"

perl -e 'print "Perl invocation";'
echo

echo "After Perl: \c"
read line
echo "|$line|"

On the first input, type Ctrl-D. It works
On the second input, type Ctrl-D. You'll need to type it twice.

Now, change the script to use ksh instead of ksh93. It works fine.

Smilie

What's wrong? Any workaround?

Jacques.

Last edited by jlovi; 01-09-2011 at 10:58 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and Perl interaction questions

hi. i´m working in bash and am trying to create a Perl daemon that controls bash´s behavior. this is actually in preparation for a later project i´ll be working on. basically, i´m looking for a way to have the Perl daemon tell bash what to do. i already have a small daemon that simply prints... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deryk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior from 'read' statements. (ksh - but could be same on other shells)

I'm getting rather frustrated with an interactive script I'm writing. The script is divided up, with section for setting variable at the top, then functions (which make up most of the script) then basically a line at the end which calls the first function- the program moves between the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh and awk interaction

in a ksh script, i want to process some string variables using awk, and then i want to go on using this variables in the same ksh (out of awk lines) can anybody send me a very simple example about this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange parameter passing problems (KSH)

Hi all, I'm having a rather peculiar problem involving parameter passing with declared functions in my shell script. Hope to get some advice here. A brief description of my code is as follows: However, I'm not getting the results I wanted. If I pass in $rdir, I'm going to end up... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Longer commands and strange behaviour on ksh

Hi, I was trying to customize this archaic HP-UX box. only shell available is ksh and that too seems to be pretty old and doesn't completely conform to what I read on the web about ksh. Anyway here are my issues: - I wanted to have a dynamic title on xterm or dtterm. I put the following lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anurags
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange KSH behaviour - any comments?

As you are probably aware, $# indicates the number of parameters passed into a korn shell script. But this appears to hang around for sunsequent runs...???? A simple script:- #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "#parameters $#" echo "\$1 $1" echo "\$2 $2" I run the script with 0 parameters (all fine) #... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsw_aix
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange ksh arithmetic

Hello, I would like to understand this... I'm using ksh and doing (( z = y - 1 )) if y=34, then the result for z is 33, but if y=034 the result is z=27. Why?? Thanks (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: fbg
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour with perl i/o?

Hi All, I got a strange problem here. I have a perl script which is fetching data from a database table and writing a file with that data. If i run that script from linux command line, the file it creates is a normal ascii text file without any binary character in it.But... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Strange problem with array

Hi, I have a strange problem with arrays in Perl. That is to say, for me it is strange and perhaps there is a special reason for it that I do not know of. Not a real Perl Ace. This is the program, as an example: #!/usr/bin/perl -w #-d use strict; my $pu; my $pu_list_cmd; my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
2 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)