Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Using While and If statements Post 302486372 by mtomar on Saturday 8th of January 2011 03:37:54 AM
Old 01-08-2011
Find largest number:
Code:
declare -a num
num=("3" "4" "1" "8" "2" "9" "7")
limit="`echo ${#num[@]}`"
check=0
i=0
while [ $i -lt $limit ]
do 
if [ $check -lt ${num[$i]} ]; then 
check="`echo ${num[$i]}`"
fi 
let i=i+1 
done 
echo "Largest number is:$check"

Median:
Code:
declare -a num
num=("3" "4" "1" "7" "2" "9" "10" "5")
limit="`echo ${#num[@]}`"
check=`expr $limit % 2`
if [ $check -eq 1 ];then
#Number count is odd 
# median
declare -a tmp_num 
tmp_num=(`for ((i=0;i<$limit;i++));do echo "${num[$i]}"; done | sort -n`)
med_pos=`expr $limit - 1`
med_posf=`expr $med_pos / 2`
echo "Median is:${tmp_num[$med_posf]}"
elif [ $check -eq 0 ];then
#number count is even
#median
declare -a tmp_num 
tmp_num=(`for ((i=0;i<$limit;i++));do echo "${num[$i]}"; done | sort -n`)
med_posx=`expr $limit / 2`
med_pos1=`expr $med_posx - 1`
med_pos2=`expr $med_pos1 + 1`
med_tmp=`expr ${tmp_num[$med_pos1]} + ${tmp_num[$med_pos2]}`
medf=`echo "scale = 2; $med_tmp / 2"| bc`
echo "Median is:$medf"
fi

This was just a quick attempt. change math options as u like
Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statements

I am trying to change this : Albert Einstein 52 Peter Scott 22 Hilary Smith 48 Joan Bakewell 30 Catherine Maguire 26 into Albert Einstein Pass Peter Scott Fail Hilary Smith Pass Joan Bakewell Fail Catherine Maguire Fail I have to use a if statement that says: if field 3 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lilas
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help on IF statements.

I had different problem scenarios with IF statement. Can any expert please enlighten me on the difference with these scenarios. Thank you. 1st Scenario: testdate=`date +%Y%m` test=`cat /var/log/database0.$testdate*.log | grep "Errors found during processing" | tail -10` if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

if statements

This is for a program I have to do to calculate the day of the week. I need to write an if statement that will do the following: if day is 29 and year is odd, don't calculate dayif ( day == 29 && year == ??? )I know how to do it for the day but I don't know how to do it for the year. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pwanda
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP!! if statements

I am kind of new in Unix and i have to make a menu. I want to put an if statement in the menu. you should enter the filename and it goes to that file. How do i do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trob
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with For Statements

Hi, I am trying to write a for statement that will allow for the ps, who, finger, and date commands to run. Can anyone help? I use Putty. (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: lexydoll87
22 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statements....

Good morning all! I want to know if Im interpreting this if statement below right. if(((1) || (0)) && (1)){ do stuff; } This is saying: if true piped into false, then true, then do stuff. Right? What does the && stand for? thanks in advance! ben (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with IF statements

I am writing a script that does a search for a argument in a file and lists all like occurrences. The script verifies that it is a file and then runs another script that list the lines. My problem is that I need the script to accept a file or a directory and then go to that directory check all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zero3ree
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

vi and if statements

Hi I am very new to Unix programming and shell scripting. I am trying t figure out how to write a little script that will output the number of directories. I can find the number of directories using ls -l | grep "^d" | wc -l I can not figure out how to do it so when I type the name... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddoug
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using While and If statements

Hi guys, Two problems I need solving please. I created a script where the user types in 7 numbers as standard input and each one is then stored in an array. Now I need to perform the following calculations on those numbers: 1) Use a while loop to determine the largest number in the range. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjb1989
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if and then statements

I came across a bash script that outputs the forecast for the day and the max temperature but at the end of the day the max temperature disappears ($6) and I am left with "°C" after the forecast. Here is the script: #! /bin/bash curl -s --connect-timeout 30... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: _light_
7 Replies
Num(3o) 							   OCaml library							   Num(3o)

NAME
Num - Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Module Module Num Documentation Module Num : sig end Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Numbers (type num ) are arbitrary-precision rational numbers, plus the special elements 1/0 (infinity) and 0/0 (undefined). type num = | Int of int | Big_int of Big_int.big_int | Ratio of Ratio.ratio The type of numbers. === Arithmetic operations === val (+/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.add_num . val add_num : num -> num -> num Addition val minus_num : num -> num Unary negation. val (-/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.sub_num . val sub_num : num -> num -> num Subtraction val ( */ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.mult_num . val mult_num : num -> num -> num Multiplication val square_num : num -> num Squaring val (//) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.div_num . val div_num : num -> num -> num Division val quo_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: quotient. val mod_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: remainder. val ( **/ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.power_num . val power_num : num -> num -> num Exponentiation val abs_num : num -> num Absolute value. val succ_num : num -> num succ n is n+1 val pred_num : num -> num pred n is n-1 val incr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit incr r is r:=!r+1 , where r is a reference to a number. val decr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit decr r is r:=!r-1 , where r is a reference to a number. val is_integer_num : num -> bool Test if a number is an integer === The four following functions approximate a number by an integer : === val integer_num : num -> num integer_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds towards zero. val floor_num : num -> num floor_num n returns the largest integer smaller or equal to n . val round_num : num -> num round_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds off zero. val ceiling_num : num -> num ceiling_num n returns the smallest integer bigger or equal to n . val sign_num : num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 according to the sign of the argument. === Comparisons between numbers === val (=/) : num -> num -> bool val (</) : num -> num -> bool val (>/) : num -> num -> bool val (<=/) : num -> num -> bool val (>=/) : num -> num -> bool val (<>/) : num -> num -> bool val eq_num : num -> num -> bool val lt_num : num -> num -> bool val le_num : num -> num -> bool val gt_num : num -> num -> bool val ge_num : num -> num -> bool val compare_num : num -> num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 if the first argument is less than, equal to, or greater than the second argument. val max_num : num -> num -> num Return the greater of the two arguments. val min_num : num -> num -> num Return the smaller of the two arguments. === Coercions with strings === val string_of_num : num -> string Convert a number to a string, using fractional notation. val approx_num_fix : int -> num -> string See Num.approx_num_exp . val approx_num_exp : int -> num -> string Approximate a number by a decimal. The first argument is the required precision. The second argument is the number to approximate. Num.approx_num_fix uses decimal notation; the first argument is the number of digits after the decimal point. approx_num_exp uses scien- tific (exponential) notation; the first argument is the number of digits in the mantissa. val num_of_string : string -> num Convert a string to a number. === Coercions between numerical types === val int_of_num : num -> int val num_of_int : int -> num val nat_of_num : num -> Nat.nat val num_of_nat : Nat.nat -> num val num_of_big_int : Big_int.big_int -> num val big_int_of_num : num -> Big_int.big_int val ratio_of_num : num -> Ratio.ratio val num_of_ratio : Ratio.ratio -> num val float_of_num : num -> float OCamldoc 2012-06-26 Num(3o)