Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Recommendations on Unix Distro Post 302486310 by pludi on Friday 7th of January 2011 05:16:57 PM
Old 01-07-2011
As always with those questions: it depends. What skills do you want to learn? What direction do you want to go in your job? Do you want to use the installation for everyday, or for a server? A firewall?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recommendations for a convert

I'm on my way, I've seen the light and it's not a train at the other end of the tunnel :) What tutorial or manual or reference point(s) would you recommend for an experienced DOS and CP/M type, who wants to learn the command equivalents within Unix? I have a good understanding of program... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Hardware Recommendations pls

Hello, I'm a Computer Engineering student at Portland State University and am seriously trying to broaden my horizons in UNIX. My goal is to eventually become an excellent sys admin, but alas...I'm just starting off on this path. I am relatively new (though not unexposed) to UNIX and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyron5
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

your recommendations

Hi all, I'm trying to teach myself shell programming and scripting. What are good introduction level programming and/or scripting books that you recommend? I will gather your suggestions into a list and check out the IT-related sections of the nearest Barnes & Noble stores. Or if you could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: antalexi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Live Unix Distro Help...

Hello, I was just looking for some help on Unix distros that don't affect my hard disk. Basically what I am looking for is a distro that has all your programming needs (so I can program in Unix) and the basic functions of an OS. I would also like it to include python if possible. BTW, is it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhab
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help to choose unix distro

what unix could you advice to me for following purposes? -browsing web -reading text information -listening to music (mp3/ogg/tracker modules) -watcing movies (rare) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacevoid8
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh(Unix Distro) script

ok so i am writing in VI. Basically i am writing a script which does the following 1.) creates a file name as: `hostname.`date '+%d%m%y_%H%M'.1.html 2.) echos some html tags >> to the same file name 3.) takes info from command showrev -p and then >> to the same file 4.) echos closing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demon002
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reinstall recommendations?

I'm currently running 32-bit Xubuntu 8.10 and I'm thinking of changing over to 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04. Any recommendations on how to make this go more smoothly? -----Post Update----- Can I shuffle around the partitions and install it as a second OS? Is there a good way to do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
2 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
U9FS(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   U9FS(4)

NAME
u9fs - serve 9P from Unix SYNOPSIS
u9fs [ directory ] DESCRIPTION
U9fs is not a Plan 9 program. Instead it is a program that serves Unix files to Plan 9 machines using the 9P protocol (see intro(5)). It is to be invoked on a Unix machine by inetd with its standard input, output, and error connected to a network connection, typically TCP on an Ethernet. It runs as user root and multiplexes access to multiple Plan 9 clients over the single wire. It simulates Unix permissions itself by assuming Plan 9 uids match Unix login names. If a directory is specified u9fs first does a Unix chroot system call to that directory. Plan 9 calls this service 9fs with TCP service number 564 on the Ethernet. Set up this way on a machine called, say, kremvax, u9fs may be connected to the name space of a Plan 9 process by 9fs kremvax Due to a bug in some versions of the IP software, some systems will not accept the service name 9fs, thinking it a service number because of the initial digit. If so, run the service as u9fs or 564 and do the srv and mount by hand: srv tcp!kremvax!u9fs mount -c /srv/tcp!kremvax!u9fs /n/kremvax For more information on this procedure, see srv(4) and bind(1). U9fs serves the entire file system of the Unix machine. It forbids access to devices because the program is single-threaded and may block unpredictably. Using the attach specifier device connects to a file system identical to the usual system except it permits device access (and may block unpredictably): srv tcp!kremvax!9fs mount -c /srv/tcp!kremvax!9fs /n/kremvax device (The 9fs command does not accept an attach specifier.) Even so, device access may produce unpredictable results if the block size of the device is greater than 8192, the maximum data size of a 9P message. The source to u9fs is in the Plan 9 directory /sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs. To install u9fs on a Unix system, copy the source to a directory on that system. Edit the makefile to set LOG to a proper place for a log file and to set the compile-time configuration correctly. Then com- pile with an ANSI C compiler and install in /usr/etc/u9fs. Install this line in inetd.conf: 9fs stream tcp nowait root /usr/etc/u9fs u9fs and this in services: 9fs 564/tcp 9fs # Plan 9 fs SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs DIAGNOSTICS
Problems are reported to /tmp/u9fs.log. A compile-time flag enables chatty debugging. SEE ALSO
bind(1), srv(4), ip(3), nfsserver(8) BUGS
The implementation of devices is unsatisfactory. U9FS(4)