Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variables in SED command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variables in SED command Post 302486189 by joeyg on Friday 7th of January 2011 09:58:43 AM
Old 01-07-2011
more command

Just thinking...
built-in to some flavors of unix is the more command.
so a
Code:
more testfile -n5

??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in processing multiple variables in a single sed command.

Is it possible to process multiple variables in a single sed command? I have the following ksh with three variables and I want to search for all variables which start with "var" inside input.txt. I tired "$var$" but it just prints out everyting in input.txt and does not work. $ more test.ksh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning variables in sed command

I need to assign a variable within a variable in a sed command. I tried doing the following in c shell. set left = 1 set right = 2 set segment = qwerty sed -n -e "/$segment{$left}/,/$segment{$right}/p" file.txt what is wrong with this syntax? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command not work with variables?

I am trying to write a simple script which will take a variable with sed to take a line out of a text and display it #!/bin/sh exec 3<list while read list<&3 do echo $list sed -n '$list p'<list2 done this does not work, yet when I replace the $list variable from the sed command and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can i use Variables in sed command in line numbers

I wish to give line number from one point to another in sed command like this sed -n 1,1000000p file1.txt >file2.txt but variable line number $x,$x+100000 can i give it cos i tried and it was giving an error any suggestions?/ Thx in advance AC (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bezudar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED command help: Can we pass predefined variables in place of regex

Hi All, I have a doubt. Can we assign a regular expression for pattern searching to a variable in a script and then use that variable in place of a regular expression in sed command.I tried but got some syntax error!!Is it not possible.Because my requirement is that i have a generic script to get... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: command garbled - when executed with $variables

I have got a file job_tree.lst , which contains 1 line as below $ cat job_tree.lst ABC_D_EQ_XXXXX_YYYY_PRD_UX 05/08/2009 05:47 05/08/2009 05:50 IN 13412850/0 I want to get a child job string 3 characters offset from the parent job string (i.e. ABC_D_EQ_XXXXX_YYYY_PRD_UX 05/08/2009... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Armaan_S
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace two character strings by two variables with sed command

Hello, I want to writte a script that replace two character strings by two variables with the command sed butmy solution doesn't work. I'm written this: sed "s/TTFactivevent/$TTFav/g && s/switchSLL/$SLL/g" templatefile. I want to replace TTFactivevent by the variable $TTFav, that is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: POPO10
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command using variables in shell script

hi guys, The following command doesn't seem to work in my shell script: tag=$(sed -n '/${line}/ s/.*\.*/\1/p' myfile.txt) When i replace the ${line} with an actual value, it works fine. So, how do i use the ${line} in this sed command? Thanks in advance, Zaff (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variables in 'sed' append command?

HELLO!! I'm trying to pass a variable with in the 'sed' command (which would add some piece of code to file at a particular line). We can use sed '{line-number}a\ alfjaljf\ aslfjsfsjafl\ adlfjaf\' file.txt If file.txt is Now, I would like to add the parameter 'lmn' after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help using combining variables with sed command (RHEL 7)

Here is the whole script, very simple, but I am just learning ROK_NO=$1 RPT=/tmp/test sed -E '/^SELECT/ s/(.{23}).{8}/\1'"$ROK_NO"' /' $RPT echo $RPT When I run this I get $ bash rok.sh 2388085 : No such file or directory /tmp/test When I type the command in console, it works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: isey78
3 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)