Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH - mailx - Redirect the undelivered mail Post 302485928 by DGPickett on Thursday 6th of January 2011 01:25:04 PM
Old 01-06-2011
Sending is no trick, it is automatically receiving and processing. You have to receive all to process any. Devote a new id as sender, and write a cron script on that id to get the mail one message at a time, sort them, save them, and remail any returns to admin. You might also email a summary of other mail to admin once a day, unless all other email if any is a week old. Or, you could mail all non-admin messages to another id.

Otherwise, you are talking about a lot of sendmail.conf programming to make the mail daemon do it, possibly destabilizing it.

You can get each incoming email processed immediately in some configurations using '|command_you_create' in ~/.forward, but this is not well thought of in security circles.
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail or mailx attachment

I have used the forum to determine the format required to send attachments from hp-ux 11. the problem I have is that using mailx does not attach the file, but subsititing mailx for mail on the command line attaches the file but i'm not able to specify a subject? The attachment has been convert... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brettmartin99
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect undelivered email address msg

i am creating a script that will send an email to a list of recepients listed in a file. if for some reason the mail was undelivered, is it possible to redirect the "undelivered email notification" to another email address? thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tads98
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh : using mailx and attachments

Hi I want to use mailx command to send a message included more than one file. I tried to use uuencode in pipe but it could only generate one file. I would avoid using an archive file :p Thanks to read you. Mathieu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mailx on ksh revisited

I have read through all documents in FAQ and have run into an issue with sending an email with body message text and an email attachment. I have included what I have thus far and I can get the message body to send in the email to work only. I cannot understand the uuencode even after I read the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekline
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mailx commannd - Mail and Attachment in same mail

Hi , I am using mailx command for sending the mails. Rightnow I am sending the attachment (by using uuencode $filename) as a seperate mail.I wanna send the attachment also with the same mail. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending mail through mailx

while trying to send a mail, though the output file doesn't contain any exclamatory mark(!), i am getting that in the mail with an extra line. please help me out from this ASAP. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvamsikr
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH problem - how do i redirect three times?

i need to output an ls command to a file but also capture any errors from that command and output them to a log file and the screen. if it's only possible to output them to a log file and not the screen then that's fine. this is what i've tried so far, but it won't populate log.txt. i've... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect within ksh

I am using ksh on an AIX box. I would like to redirect the stdout and stderr to a file but also show them on the terminal. Is this possible? I have tried tee within my file without success. This is the code I have so far exec > imp.log 2>&1 | tee exec 1>&1 I am new to shell scripting, so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: podzach
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to send the mail using mail and mailx command

Hi All, I am trying to send a mail from linux server but could'nt able to send the mail. I tried the below syntax's so far but no luck. mail -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com < /usr/g/txt.log cat "txt.log" | mailx -s "Hello world" abc@xyz.com mailx -s “Hello world” abc@xyz.com <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies
Mail::Transport::Mailx(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Mail::Transport::Mailx(3pm)

NAME
Mail::Transport::Mailx - transmit messages using external mailx program INHERITANCE
Mail::Transport::Mailx is a Mail::Transport::Send is a Mail::Transport is a Mail::Reporter SYNOPSIS
my $sender = Mail::Transport::Mailx->new(...); $sender->send($message); DESCRIPTION
Implements mail transport using the external programs 'mailx', "Mail", or 'mail'. When instantiated, the mailer will look for any of these binaries in specific system directories, and the first program found is taken. WARNING: There are many security issues with mail and mailx. DO NOT USE these commands to send messages which contains data derived from any external source!!! Under Linux, freebsd, and bsdos the "mail", "Mail", and "mailx" names are just links to the same binary. The implementation is very primitive, pre-MIME standard, what may cause many headers to be lost. For these platforms (and probably for other platforms as well), you can better not use this transport mechanism. METHODS
Constructors Mail::Transport::Mailx->new(OPTIONS) -Option --Defined in --Default executable Mail::Transport undef hostname Mail::Transport 'localhost' interval Mail::Transport 30 log Mail::Reporter 'WARNINGS' password Mail::Transport undef port Mail::Transport undef proxy Mail::Transport undef retry Mail::Transport <false> style <autodetect> timeout Mail::Transport 120 trace Mail::Reporter 'WARNINGS' username Mail::Transport undef via Mail::Transport 'mailx' executable => FILENAME hostname => HOSTNAME|ARRAY-OF-HOSTNAMES interval => SECONDS log => LEVEL password => STRING port => INTEGER proxy => PATH retry => NUMBER|undef style => 'BSD'|'RFC822' There are two version of the "mail" program. The newest accepts RFC822 messages, and automagically collect information about where the message is to be send to. The BSD style mail command predates MIME, and expects lines which start with a '~' (tilde) to specify destinations and such. This field is autodetect, however on some platforms both versions of "mail" can live (like various Linux distributions). timeout => SECONDS trace => LEVEL username => STRING via => CLASS|NAME Sending mail $obj->destinations(MESSAGE, [ADDRESS|ARRAY-OF-ADDRESSES]) See "Sending mail" in Mail::Transport::Send $obj->putContent(MESSAGE, FILEHANDLE, OPTIONS) See "Sending mail" in Mail::Transport::Send $obj->send(MESSAGE, OPTIONS) See "Sending mail" in Mail::Transport::Send $obj->trySend(MESSAGE, OPTIONS) Server connection $obj->findBinary(NAME [, DIRECTORIES]) See "Server connection" in Mail::Transport $obj->remoteHost() See "Server connection" in Mail::Transport $obj->retry() See "Server connection" in Mail::Transport Error handling $obj->AUTOLOAD() See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->addReport(OBJECT) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->defaultTrace([LEVEL]|[LOGLEVEL, TRACELEVEL]|[LEVEL, CALLBACK]) Mail::Transport::Mailx->defaultTrace([LEVEL]|[LOGLEVEL, TRACELEVEL]|[LEVEL, CALLBACK]) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->errors() See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->log([LEVEL [,STRINGS]]) Mail::Transport::Mailx->log([LEVEL [,STRINGS]]) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->logPriority(LEVEL) Mail::Transport::Mailx->logPriority(LEVEL) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->logSettings() See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->notImplemented() See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->report([LEVEL]) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->reportAll([LEVEL]) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->trace([LEVEL]) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->warnings() See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter Cleanup $obj->DESTROY() See "Cleanup" in Mail::Reporter $obj->inGlobalDestruction() See "Cleanup" in Mail::Reporter DIAGNOSTICS
Warning: Message has no destination It was not possible to figure-out where the message is intended to go to. Error: Package $package does not implement $method. Fatal error: the specific package (or one of its superclasses) does not implement this method where it should. This message means that some other related classes do implement this method however the class at hand does not. Probably you should investigate this and probably inform the author of the package. Warning: Resent group does not specify a destination The message which is sent is the result of a bounce (for instance created with Mail::Message::bounce()), and therefore starts with a "Received" header field. With the "bounce", the new destination(s) of the message are given, which should be included as "Resent-To", "Resent-Cc", and "Resent-Bcc". The "To", "Cc", and "Bcc" header information is only used if no "Received" was found. That seems to be the best explanation of the RFC. As alternative, you may also specify the "to" option to some of the senders (for instance Mail::Transport::SMTP::send(to) to overrule any information found in the message itself about the destination. Error: Sending via mailx mailer $program failed: $! ($?) Mailx (in some shape: there are many different implementations) did start accepting messages, but did not succeed sending it. SEE ALSO
This module is part of Mail-Box distribution version 2.105, built on May 07, 2012. Website: http://perl.overmeer.net/mailbox/ LICENSE
Copyrights 2001-2012 by [Mark Overmeer]. For other contributors see ChangeLog. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html perl v5.14.2 2012-05-07 Mail::Transport::Mailx(3pm)