Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk problem Post 302485826 by ctsgnb on Thursday 6th of January 2011 09:21:34 AM
Old 01-06-2011
No space after the equal sign
If under solaris try nawk

Last edited by ctsgnb; 01-06-2011 at 10:27 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK Problem

Hi, I posted something here about this yesterday but I can't seem to find it. I needed help writting a script which would append a file with new lines after every so many charachters. Example: (my original flat file) L60 LETTER OF CREDIT 60 DAYS W00 ON RECEIPT WIRE TRANSFER W30 NET... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with AWK

Hi All, How can i store a value of the unix command executed in AWK with system command. devise=`cut -c1-3 dvgp.txt` I wrote this command in awk as awk'{ code= sprintf("devise=`cut -c1-3 dvgp.txt`"); system(code); }' Is this correct. can you please suggest me how the code can be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using awk

Hi there every body I'm new to shell scripting and there is a problem facing me,, please look at the following piece of code: awk ' BEGIN{ FS="<assertion id=\1"; RS="<assertion id=\"2"}/<assertion id=\"1/{print FS$2 > "/home/ds2/test/output.txt"} ' filename all I wanna do is to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senior_ahmed
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problem

Find the number of files with sizes > 100KB in /, /bin, /usr, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin directories and output them in a two column format with the name of the directory and the number of files. i tried with awk $>ls -lh | awk '/^-/ && $5 >= 100k {print $8 $5}' but it is not working pls tell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhikamune
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Little problem with AWK

I thought I had solved this problem but after testing the script I came to realize that it is not doing what I need. So, here it goes again. This is the code: awk '/\>/{F=$2; N=$3; split(FILENAME, A, "."); getline; x = ">"}{print ">" A"-" x++" "F" " N"\n" $0}' This is the input file: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problem - combining awk statements

i have a datafile that has several lines that look like this: 2,dataflow,Sun Mar 17 16:50:01 2013,1363539001,2990,excelsheet,660,mortar,660,4 using the following command: awk -F, '{$3=strftime("%a %b %d %T %Y,%s",$3)}1' OFS=, $DATAFILE | egrep -v "\-OLDISSUES," | ${AWK} "/${MONTH} ${DAY}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problem

i have an email list in file.txt with comma separated line1 - FIELD1,pippo@gmail.com,darth@gmail.com line2 - FIELD2,pippo@gmail.com,darth@gmail.com,sampei@gmail.com output=(awk -F ',' -v var="$awkvar" '$1==var {print $2,$3,$4}' spreadsheet.txt)but awk delete some letters at the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasaico
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problem

Hi I have two columns and I would like to create a third column based on how many lines away from a value of 1 in column 2, for example I have 1,0 2,0 3,0 4,0 5,0 6,1 7,0 8,0 9,0 10,0 11,1 And I want an output (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
6 Replies
su(1)							      General Commands Manual							     su(1)

Name
       su - substitute a user ID

Syntax
       su [username]

su - [username]

su -f [username]

Description
       The  command  requests the password of the specified username.  If the correct password is given, changes to that username without changing
       the current directory.  The user environment is unchanged except for HOME and SHELL which are taken from the password file entry for  user-
       name.   The  shell  that  is  run  is also taken from the password file entry for username.  The new user ID stays in force until the shell
       exits.

If no username is specified, `root' is assumed.	To remind the superuser of his responsibilities, the shell substitutes `#' for	its  usual
       prompt.

Options
       -f   Prevents from executing the .cshrc file, making start up faster.

-    Simulates a full login.

Diagnostics
       Sorry
	    An invalid password was supplied for the specified username.

Unknown login: username
	    The specified username was not found in the passwd database.

No directory
	    The home directory for the username is not accessible at this time (only with ``-'' argument).

No shell
	    The shell specified in the passwd database entry for username could not be executed.

Kerberos initialization failure
	    Consult your system administrator.

If enhanced security features are enabled the following error messages are also possible:

Requires secure terminal
	    Attempt to su to UID 0 on a line that is not marked secure in

User's password has expired
	    Access is denied because the password for username is expired.

This account is disabled
	    Access is denied because the auth entry corresponding to username is marked disabled.

Files
       Log file of anyone who became
			root, with a date mark.

See Also
       csh(1), sh(1), passwd(5yp), environ(7), edauth(8)
       Security Guide for Administrators
       Security Guide for Users

su(1)