Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk problem Post 302485811 by frottage on Thursday 6th of January 2011 09:04:25 AM
Old 01-06-2011
awk problem

I am trying to isolate a username that contains spaces

my input is like :
Code:

username          fullname
---------------------------------------------
SYSTEM              SYSTEM
quarantine           quarantine
nigel                   Nigel Hope
glennrosegarden   Glenn Rose-garden
Rachel Sharpe      Rachel Sharpe
Sue Purkins          Sue Purkins
Anthony              Anthony Loft
Stephanie Crooke  Stephanie Crooke
Hannah Northern   Hannah Northern
Darren Maynot      Darren Maynot
Pauline E Dawson  Pauline E. Dawson
Simon Parkin         Simon Parkin

I am using
Code:
awk 'BEGIN {FS= "  ";} {print $1}'

to try and isolate the first field

but it dosent work - any ideas ????

---------- Post updated at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:01 AM ----------

ugh this forum strips out the whitespace between the fields !!!

username_______fullname
---------------------------------------------
SYSTEM_______SYSTEM
quarantine_______quarantine
nigel_______Nigel Hope
glennrosegarden_______Glenn Rose-Garden

i have shown it again using _ to represent those spaces

I hope it gives you enough idea of what im trying to achieve

Last edited by vbe; 01-06-2011 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: please use code tags, It will maintain format also...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK Problem

Hi, I posted something here about this yesterday but I can't seem to find it. I needed help writting a script which would append a file with new lines after every so many charachters. Example: (my original flat file) L60 LETTER OF CREDIT 60 DAYS W00 ON RECEIPT WIRE TRANSFER W30 NET... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with AWK

Hi All, How can i store a value of the unix command executed in AWK with system command. devise=`cut -c1-3 dvgp.txt` I wrote this command in awk as awk'{ code= sprintf("devise=`cut -c1-3 dvgp.txt`"); system(code); }' Is this correct. can you please suggest me how the code can be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using awk

Hi there every body I'm new to shell scripting and there is a problem facing me,, please look at the following piece of code: awk ' BEGIN{ FS="<assertion id=\1"; RS="<assertion id=\"2"}/<assertion id=\"1/{print FS$2 > "/home/ds2/test/output.txt"} ' filename all I wanna do is to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senior_ahmed
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problem

Find the number of files with sizes > 100KB in /, /bin, /usr, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin directories and output them in a two column format with the name of the directory and the number of files. i tried with awk $>ls -lh | awk '/^-/ && $5 >= 100k {print $8 $5}' but it is not working pls tell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhikamune
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Little problem with AWK

I thought I had solved this problem but after testing the script I came to realize that it is not doing what I need. So, here it goes again. This is the code: awk '/\>/{F=$2; N=$3; split(FILENAME, A, "."); getline; x = ">"}{print ">" A"-" x++" "F" " N"\n" $0}' This is the input file: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problem - combining awk statements

i have a datafile that has several lines that look like this: 2,dataflow,Sun Mar 17 16:50:01 2013,1363539001,2990,excelsheet,660,mortar,660,4 using the following command: awk -F, '{$3=strftime("%a %b %d %T %Y,%s",$3)}1' OFS=, $DATAFILE | egrep -v "\-OLDISSUES," | ${AWK} "/${MONTH} ${DAY}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problem

i have an email list in file.txt with comma separated line1 - FIELD1,pippo@gmail.com,darth@gmail.com line2 - FIELD2,pippo@gmail.com,darth@gmail.com,sampei@gmail.com output=(awk -F ',' -v var="$awkvar" '$1==var {print $2,$3,$4}' spreadsheet.txt)but awk delete some letters at the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasaico
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problem

Hi I have two columns and I would like to create a third column based on how many lines away from a value of 1 in column 2, for example I have 1,0 2,0 3,0 4,0 5,0 6,1 7,0 8,0 9,0 10,0 11,1 And I want an output (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
6 Replies
ROSE(4) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   ROSE(4)

NAME
AF_ROSE - Rose amateur packet radio protocol family DESCRIPTION
Rose is a protocol used extensively by radio amateurs. The Linux Rose protocol family permits access to these protocols via the standard networking socket metaphor. The Rose protocol layer only supports connected mode. The only mode of operation is connected mode which is the mode used for a socket of type SOCK_SEQPACKET (stream sockets are not available in Rose). This requires that the user ensures output data is suitably packetised, and that input data is read a packet at a time into a buffer of suitable size. Rose addresses consist of 10 digits. These are encoded into a sockaddr_rose structure which is provided to the relevant system calls. Rose has some unusual properties. Notably in a multi-user system an AX.25 address is often associated with a user, and some users may not have such an association. a set of ioctl calls are provided to manage an association table. Rose supports the following socket options for SOL_ROSE. ROSE_T1 is the T11/T21 timer in 1/10ths of a second, ROSE_T2 is the T12/T22 timer in 1/10ths of a second. ROSE_T3, is the T13/T23 timer in 1/10ths of a second. It is possible for an application to request that the Rose layer return the Rose header as well as the application data, this is done via the ROSE_HDRINCL socket option. SEE ALSO
call(1), socket(2), setsockopt(2), getsockopt(2), rsports(5), rsparms(8). AUTHOR
Jonathan Naylor G4KLX <g4klx@g4klx.demon.co.uk> Linux 27 August 1996 ROSE(4)