Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE shmat failed due to Cannot allocate memory Post 302485742 by ManoharanMani on Thursday 6th of January 2011 05:21:23 AM
Old 01-06-2011
shmat failed due to Cannot allocate memory

Hi,
My program was running for a whole night. after 12 hours i got an error message "Cannot allocate memory" during the shmat commmand. So can you please let me know what could be the reason? is there any solution?

thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mano

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how allocate virtual memory

Hi Folks can any body suggest how to allocate virtual memory any function for that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: munnu
2 Replies

2. Linux

shmat() Failure While Using a Large Amount of Shared Memory

Hi, I'm developing a data processing pipeline with multiple stages, with data being moved between the stages using shared memory segments. The size of the data is typically of the order of hundreds of megabytes, and there are typically a few tens of main shared memory segments each of size... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theicarusagenda
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to allocate enough memory

On SunOS 5.8 I get an error when starting a large Java process with over 2Gb memory. Error occurred during initialization of VM Could not reserve enough space for object heap When stopping several other Java processes we can start this process. This seems to indicate that we don't have... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to allocate memory

Hi, I have 2 systems with same hardware and software. One system is giving me error "Error occurred during initialization of VM Could not reserve enough space for object " when I tried to increase JBoss App's heap size to 2GB while the other system is running fine without any issue. Is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi3553
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Oracle how many memory allocate really

hi... i want to find oracle allocate how many memory really.. i execute this code to list memory on unix system : ps -eo pmem,args | sort -k 1 -r -n outputs ; %mem command 12.9|ora_smon_RTX 12.9|ora_s000_RTX 12.9|ora_reco_RTX 12.9|ora_qmnc_RTX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: utoptas
2 Replies

6. SuSE

Compile failed due to 'out of memory'

Maybe increase swap space will help? How to do it? When I install suse 11 on this box, I remeber it shows the swap space is 2G, I didn't find it anywhere now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
5 Replies

7. SuSE

shmget failed - cannot allocate memory

Hi, In my proj, one process was running for 2 days. after 2 days its throwing an error message "shmget failed cannot allocate memory". the same problem happened every time.i.e. i can reproduce the same issue if my process is running for every 2 days for a same operation.Within this 2 days there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ManoharanMani
1 Replies

8. Linux

Hi, In my proj, one process was running for 2 days. after 2 days its throwing an error message "shmget failed cannot allocate memory". the same problem happened every time.i.e. i can reproduce the same issue if my process is running for every 2 days for a same operation.Within this 2 days there... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Linux

1 Replies

10. Programming

How to allocate memory to a string in C?

hi I want to take string as a input from user and the string is very very length. From the lengthy string i have to substring take first 16 letters, then next 8 letters,................... Please guide me how to write program to take lengthy string from user and sub string it. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atharalikhan
4 Replies
explain_shmat_or_die(3) 				     Library Functions Manual					   explain_shmat_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_shmat_or_die - shared memory attach and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/shmat.h> void *explain_shmat_or_die(int shmid, const void *shmaddr, int shmflg); void *explain_shmat_on_error(int shmid, const void *shmaddr, int shmflg); DESCRIPTION
The explain_shmat_or_die function is used to call the shmat(2) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from the explain_shmat(3) function, and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). The explain_shmat_on_error function is used to call the shmat(2) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from the explain_shmat(3) function, but still returns to the caller. shmid The shmid, exactly as to be passed to the shmat(2) system call. shmaddr The shmaddr, exactly as to be passed to the shmat(2) system call. shmflg The shmflg, exactly as to be passed to the shmat(2) system call. RETURN VALUE
The explain_shmat_or_die function only returns on success, see shmat(2) for more information. On failure, prints an explanation and exits, it does not return. The explain_shmat_on_error function always returns the value return by the wrapped shmat(2) system call. EXAMPLE
The explain_shmat_or_die function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: void *result = explain_shmat_or_die(shmid, shmaddr, shmflg); SEE ALSO
shmat(2) shared memory attach explain_shmat(3) explain shmat(2) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2011 Peter Miller explain_shmat_or_die(3)