Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash script for ftp-upload is not working Post 302485631 by dufftime on Wednesday 5th of January 2011 06:52:32 PM
Old 01-05-2011
Your code worked for me

I copy/pasted your code snippet into a new bash script, changed the username, password, testfile, and FTP server, then it ran just fine.

Try changing the first line to:
Code:
#!/bin/bash -xv

You can get a better idea of where it's failing.

You can't put a "sleep" between the "<<EOD" and "EOD" since FTP doesn't understand that command.

If you're missing bytes, you probably need to issue a "bin" (binary) command prior to your "put", otherwise the end-of-line character can get affected. FTP transfers over ASCII mode by default.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
USER='xxx'
PASSWD='xxx'

ftp -n <<EOD
open xxx
quote USER $USER
quote PASS $PASSWD
bin
put /path/to/test.pdf
quit
EOD
exit 0

Also, the FTP "put" command with a single argument implies the location of the local file is the same as the remote file, so if you do this:

Code:
put /path/to/file.txt

You are telling FTP to upload the local file /path/to/file.txt to the FTP's remote directory /path/to/, which may not exist. Perhaps you mean to do this:

Code:
put /path/to/file.txt file.txt

-dufftime
This User Gave Thanks to dufftime For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ftp Upload Folder

Hi! I'd like to upload a complete folder with subfolders with put. At the moment I always get the err-msg: aboutme: not a plain file Could anyone help me?? Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roberthawke
3 Replies

2. Linux

upload FTP

I have a ftp server up , however when I upload a file from my desktop to the server I get this message: ftp> get uploadtest.txt Local: uploadtest.txt Remote: uploadtest.txt 227 passive Mode ( 192,168,0,1,190,75) 550 Failed to open file ftp> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: keliy1
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp put in shell script -- whole file doesn't upload

Hi I'm having some trouble with a bash shell script that I'm writing. In the script, I'm trying to upload a file to a backup repository using ftp, but the whole file doesn't get uploaded. This is the file's properties at the start (I've highlighted the file size in red): -rw-r--r-- 1 root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viola
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to monitor folder and upload found files via FTP

Hi everyone! I'm in a need of a shell script that search for all files in a folder, move all those files to a temp folder, and upload those files via FTP. When the file transfer via FTP completes successfully, the file is moved to a completed folder. In case any of those files fails, the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulsorock
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP upload

Hi All, I am new to this forum and i need help from you . Here i want to get a mail conformation when ever the file was uploaded to FTP server.Here is my FTP script . Can any one plz help me how to get a mail confirmation weather the file was uploaded or not. #!bin/sh HOST='192.168.2.85'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfund
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Upload

Can any one help in writing FTP upload script using bash .. with specific port -oPort=62022 #/bin/bash FTPU="username" # ftp login name FTPP="password" # ftp password FTPS="localhost.com" # remote ftp server FTPF="/test" # remote ftp server directory for $FTPU & $FTPP port="2345"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram5019
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to upload latest file to other server via FTP

Hello, I have a script that finds the latest version of a file in a folder on my Minecraft server. I'm trying to come up with something that will then FTP that file over to my fileserver. Here's what I have that finds the newest file: find /home/mc/archive/sbhouse -type f -mtime +45 -exec... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP in shell script and selecting files for upload

Hi, Im a newbie with programming and shell scripting. Im running OSX/Mac and Darwin. I would like to create a shell script that would : 1. Search a Volume and directory (including subdirectories) for a file that : * filename ends with ”_Highres.pdf” and * the file creation date of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NickeZ28
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script not working

Hi, I have one FTP script which simply sends the file to target server via netrc.it used to work as normal for years.recently target server IP got changed , same has been updated in .netrc but unable to connect it via FTP though netwrk guys already opened the port 21,20 and 22 . NETRC... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riverstone
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Html upload file to bash script

I am trying to upload a file to the server using bash script in html form. <FORM NAME="FORM1" METHOD="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" ACTION="/cgi-bin/UPLOAD.sh"> <INPUT type="file" name="DOCFILE" id="DOCFILE" accept=".jpg,.tif,.pdf"> </FORM> How can I able to access the file in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naz
8 Replies
COMMAND-NOT-FOUND(1)					    http://en.opensuse.org/Sco					      COMMAND-NOT-FOUND(1)

NAME
command-not-found - A command-not-found handler SYNOPSIS
command-not-found {binary_name} {repository} ARGUMENTS
The following arguments are required: binary_name The name of binary you are looking for. repository The name of repository for search. For most cases, use zypp DESCRIPTION
command-not-found handler is designed to tell users which package contains a missing command. The handler is integrated to bash(1) and zsh(1) shells and is not necessary to call it directly. Just type a name of the command in your favourite shell and you'll get a result. If you consider c-n-f handler useless, just add unset command_not_found_handle to your profile or remove the command-not-found package. Handler doesn't call the command-not-found binary directly, it only prints info about it. If you want to invoke it automatically, just add export COMMAND_NOT_FOUND_AUTO=1 to your bash profile. EXAMPLE
: NORMAL USAGE For example you want to try blender, because you have heard that is an amazing program. So just type blender in shell: $ blender You get the following output: The program 'blender' can be found in the following package: * blender [ path: /usr/bin/blender, repository: zypp (openSUSE 11.1-0) ] Try installing with: sudo zypper install blender bash: blender: command not found SEE ALSO
scout(1) AUTHOR
Pavol Rusnak <stick@gk2.sk> Developer http://gitorious.org/opensus 08/07/2009 COMMAND-NOT-FOUND(1)