Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vintage unix
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Vintage unix Post 302485277 by jgt on Tuesday 4th of January 2011 07:36:13 PM
Old 01-04-2011
"Old computer" should mean Pentium 3 and older. The P4 requires the operating system to regulate the cpu temperature, and that wasn't added until about 1999-2000.
The oldest release of SCO Unix that I still have media for is version 3.2.2, published June 1989. At the time we ran it on a Compaq Systempro with two 386 processors, two 387 co-processors, and four 100mb IDE disks (RAID 1). We also had a 24 port Consensys multiport serial card with its own processor.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to mount and read vintage scsi HDD

I started on another thread and full story can be seen here: https://www.unix.com/security/91428-how-reset-root-password-old-unix-system-v.html But my situation turned to land on this thread now. I have old scsi HDD out of the UHC UNIX System V Rel. 4.0 Version 3.6 box. And need to read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 82026
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Transfer from Window server to UNIX and UNIX to UNIX

Dear All, Can someone help to command or program to transfer the file from windows to Unix server and from one unix server to another Unix server in secure way. I would request no samba client. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Anyone Running Vintage UNIXen?

Like SunOS, AT&T Unix or anything else of that era... anything running MGR as a graphics subsystem? I'd enjoy hearing from people that may have used MGR back in the day. I have something of a collection of 32bit Suns sun4c, sun4m, sun4d etc..nothing bigger than an 8 way 85Mhz SS1000E though. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cb88
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extended vs vintage

I am having issues with the MOS (my oracle support) page. I downloaded the new critical patch and oct patchset. for solaris 10 64. However, I noticed that that the Entitlement class read vintage instead of extended in which we bought the service. can anyone tell me the difference? it is safe... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: goya
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Vintage!!! Jimmy Page/Jeff Beck/Eric Clapton-Stairway to Heaven

You must watch this music video. Jimmy Page/Jeff Beck/Eric Clapton-Stairway to Heaven https://youtu.be/wKlEVtA_TGQ Long before there was surveillance capitalism, Google, FB and dystopian social media, there was Jimmy Page! This is how it all "used to be" before mankind was reduced to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
pset_create(2)							   System Calls 						    pset_create(2)

NAME
pset_create, pset_destroy, pset_assign - manage sets of processors SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/pset.h> int pset_create(psetid_t *newpset); int pset_destroy(psetid_t pset); int pset_assign(psetid_t pset, processorid_t cpu, psetid_t *opset); DESCRIPTION
These functions control the creation and management of sets of processors. Processor sets allow a subset of the system's processors to be set aside for exclusive use by specified LWPs and processes. The binding of LWPs and processes to processor sets is controlled by pset_bind(2). The pset_create() function creates an empty processor set that contains no processors. On successful return, newpset will contain the ID of the new processor set. The pset_destroy() function destroys the processor set pset, releasing its constituent processors and processes. If pset is PS_MYID, the processor set to which the caller is bound is destroyed. The pset_assign() function assigns the processor cpu to the processor set pset. A processor that has been assigned to a processor set will run only LWPs and processes that have been explicitly bound to that processor set, unless another LWP requires a resource that is only available on that processor. On successful return, if opset is non-null, opset will contain the processor set ID of the former processor set of the processor. If pset is PS_NONE, pset_assign() releases processor cpu from its current processor set. If pset is PS_QUERY, pset_assign() makes no change to processor sets, but returns the current processor set ID of processor cpu in opset. If pset is PS_MYID, processor cpu is assigned to the processor set to which the caller belongs. If the caller does not belong to a proces- sor set, processor cpu is released from its current processor set. These functions are restricted to privileged processes, except for pset_assign() when pset is PS_QUERY. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return 0. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
These functions will fail if: EBUSY The processor could not be moved to the specified processor set. EFAULT The location pointed to by newpset was not writable by the user, or the location pointed to by opset was not NULL and not writable by the user. EINVAL The specified processor does not exist, the specified processor is not on-line, or an invalid processor set was specified. ENOMEM There was insufficient space for pset_create to create a new processor set. ENOTSUP The pools facility is active. See pooladm(1M) and pool_set_status(3POOL) for information about enabling and disabling the pools facility. EPERM The {PRIV_SYS_RES_CONFIG} privilege is not asserted in the effectvie set of the calling process. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pooladm(1M), psradm(1M), psrinfo(1M), psrset(1M), p_online(2), processor_bind(2), pset_bind(2), pset_info(2), pool_set_status(3POOL), pset_getloadavg(3C), attributes(5), privileges(5) NOTES
The processor set type of PS_SYSTEM is no longer supported. Processors with LWPs bound to them using processor_bind(2) cannot be assigned to a new processor set. If this is attempted, pset_assign() will fail and set errno to EBUSY. SunOS 5.10 9 Apr 2004 pset_create(2)