Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Graphics cards
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Graphics cards Post 302484957 by fpmurphy on Monday 3rd of January 2011 08:50:48 PM
Old 01-03-2011
You do not know for sure unless you try it. However in general you will not see any improvement in performance unless you can partition your problem domain into threads of execution which keep the GPU processors busy but minimize data transfers to/from the GPU.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Graphics And Animation

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY C OR ANY OTHER UNIX LANGUAGE IS USED IN THREE DIMENSIONAL ANIMATION AND RENDERING (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aloysius1001
5 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Graphics programing

Hi all! I`m new in Unix (Linux) and i whant to ask something! What language should i use for Linux developing.I meen applications an GAME DEVELOPING! Should i use C,TCL ??? Please help me on this ...:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebastyan
1 Replies

3. Programming

Graphics libraries

I want to know if under Linux there are some graphics libraries and/or functions for using simple graphics in the 'console' screen. For example with MS-DOS (when I was using Borland Turbo C++ v1.01, a very old version) there was the include file <graphics.h> that allowed to enter the graphic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robotronic
1 Replies

4. Programming

graphics commands ? ? ?

Graphics in UNIX :D well how to include "graphics.h" header file ? how to make the text output in colour in sh programming. please feed in back ....... thanking you alll imma (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: immanuelgangte
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX supported graphics cards

I'm using an IBM RS6000 running AIX 5.3. Currently I can only attach a dumb terminal to it to log in at the console or use terminal emulation software to connect to it remotely via my pc. What I would like to do is install a graphics card, so that I can make use of the kvm mounted in the rack. So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HNelson
2 Replies

6. Programming

2D Graphics Lib

Hi, I am on Fedora9 and need to do some simple 2D graphics (for game development). I am looking for an ideal 2D library/package to be used with GCC. I have come accross GRX, libmxi and some OpenGL (The 3D), but none of which seems to be ok. I could not find any tutorial or support material... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nasersh
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

graphics drivers

ok, right off the bat im going to say this, i know that there is about over 100 links on google for this, just none of them help me. i have a radeon mobility 7500 graphics card. and i want to enable the compiz effects via Administration/preferences/Appearance. the problem is that i can't get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
12 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

[Solved] links2 --enable-graphics from source, configure error: no graphics driver found.

Howdy I am trying to install links2 with graphics support on snow leopard 10.6.8 (xcode installed). I have had the program running last year, also installed from source - but then I had installed some image libraries with mac ports and fink - cannot reproduce that setup. Plus I would like to not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterbaerchen
6 Replies
DRM(7)							     Direct Rendering Manager							    DRM(7)

NAME
drm - Direct Rendering Manager SYNOPSIS
#include <xf86drm.h> DESCRIPTION
The Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) is a framework to manage Graphics Processing Units (GPUs). It is designed to support the needs of complex graphics devices, usually containing programmable pipelines well suited to 3D graphics acceleration. Furthermore, it is responsible for memory management, interrupt handling and DMA to provide a uniform interface to applications. In earlier days, the kernel framework was solely used to provide raw hardware access to priviledged user-space processes which implement all the hardware abstraction layers. But more and more tasks where moved into the kernel. All these interfaces are based on ioctl(2) commands on the DRM character device. The libdrm library provides wrappers for these system-calls and many helpers to simplify the API. When a GPU is detected, the DRM system loads a driver for the detected hardware type. Each connected GPU is then presented to user-space via a character-device that is usually available as /dev/dri/card0 and can be accessed with open(2) and close(2). However, it still depends on the grapics driver which interfaces are available on these devices. If an interface is not available, the syscalls will fail with EINVAL. Authentication All DRM devices provide authentication mechanisms. Only a DRM-Master is allowed to perform mode-setting or modify core state and only one user can be DRM-Master at a time. See drmSetMaster(3) for information on how to become DRM-Master and what the limitations are. Other DRM users can be authenticated to the DRM-Master via drmAuthMagic(3) so they can perform buffer allocations and rendering. Mode-Setting Managing connected monitors and displays and changing the current modes is called Mode-Setting. This is restricted to the current DRM-Master. Historically, this was implemented in user-space, but new DRM drivers implement a kernel interface to perform mode-setting called Kernel Mode Setting (KMS). If your hardware-driver supports it, you can use the KMS API provided by DRM. This includes allocating framebuffers, selecting modes and managing CRTCs and encoders. See drm-kms(7) for more. Memory Management The most sophisticated tasks for GPUs today is managing memory objects. Textures, framebuffers, command-buffers and all other kinds of commands for the GPU have to be stored in memory. The DRM driver takes care of managing all memory objects, flushing caches, synchronizing access and providing CPU access to GPU memory. All memory management is hardware driver dependent. However, two generic frameworks are available that are used by most DRM drivers. These are the Translation Table Manager (TTM) and the Graphics Execution Manager (GEM). They provide generic APIs to create, destroy and access buffers from user-space. However, there are still many differences between the drivers so driver-depedent code is still needed. Many helpers are provided in libgbm (Graphics Buffer Manager) from the mesa-project. For more information on DRM memory-management, see drm-memory(7). REPORTING BUGS
Bugs in this manual should be reported to http://bugs.freedesktop.org under the "Mesa" product, with "Other" or "libdrm" as the component. SEE ALSO
drm-kms(7), drm-memory(7), drmSetMaster(3), drmAuthMagic(3), drmAvailable(3), drmOpen(3) libdrm September 2012 DRM(7)