Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Graphics cards
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Graphics cards Post 302484957 by fpmurphy on Monday 3rd of January 2011 08:50:48 PM
Old 01-03-2011
You do not know for sure unless you try it. However in general you will not see any improvement in performance unless you can partition your problem domain into threads of execution which keep the GPU processors busy but minimize data transfers to/from the GPU.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Graphics And Animation

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY C OR ANY OTHER UNIX LANGUAGE IS USED IN THREE DIMENSIONAL ANIMATION AND RENDERING (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aloysius1001
5 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Graphics programing

Hi all! I`m new in Unix (Linux) and i whant to ask something! What language should i use for Linux developing.I meen applications an GAME DEVELOPING! Should i use C,TCL ??? Please help me on this ...:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebastyan
1 Replies

3. Programming

Graphics libraries

I want to know if under Linux there are some graphics libraries and/or functions for using simple graphics in the 'console' screen. For example with MS-DOS (when I was using Borland Turbo C++ v1.01, a very old version) there was the include file <graphics.h> that allowed to enter the graphic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robotronic
1 Replies

4. Programming

graphics commands ? ? ?

Graphics in UNIX :D well how to include "graphics.h" header file ? how to make the text output in colour in sh programming. please feed in back ....... thanking you alll imma (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: immanuelgangte
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX supported graphics cards

I'm using an IBM RS6000 running AIX 5.3. Currently I can only attach a dumb terminal to it to log in at the console or use terminal emulation software to connect to it remotely via my pc. What I would like to do is install a graphics card, so that I can make use of the kvm mounted in the rack. So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HNelson
2 Replies

6. Programming

2D Graphics Lib

Hi, I am on Fedora9 and need to do some simple 2D graphics (for game development). I am looking for an ideal 2D library/package to be used with GCC. I have come accross GRX, libmxi and some OpenGL (The 3D), but none of which seems to be ok. I could not find any tutorial or support material... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nasersh
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

graphics drivers

ok, right off the bat im going to say this, i know that there is about over 100 links on google for this, just none of them help me. i have a radeon mobility 7500 graphics card. and i want to enable the compiz effects via Administration/preferences/Appearance. the problem is that i can't get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
12 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

[Solved] links2 --enable-graphics from source, configure error: no graphics driver found.

Howdy I am trying to install links2 with graphics support on snow leopard 10.6.8 (xcode installed). I have had the program running last year, also installed from source - but then I had installed some image libraries with mac ports and fink - cannot reproduce that setup. Plus I would like to not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterbaerchen
6 Replies
MPSNNGraph(3)						 MetalPerformanceShaders.framework					     MPSNNGraph(3)

NAME
MPSNNGraph SYNOPSIS
#import <MPSNNGraph.h> Inherits MPSKernel, <NSCopying>, and <NSSecureCoding>. Instance Methods (nullable instancetype) - initWithDevice:resultImage:resultImageIsNeeded: (nullable instancetype) - initWithDevice:resultImage: (nullable instancetype) - initWithCoder:device: (nonnull instancetype) - initWithDevice: (MPSImage *__nullable) - encodeToCommandBuffer:sourceImages:sourceStates:intermediateImages:destinationStates: (MPSImageBatch *__nullable) - encodeBatchToCommandBuffer:sourceImages:sourceStates:intermediateImages:destinationStates: (MPSImage *__nullable) - encodeToCommandBuffer:sourceImages: (MPSImageBatch *__nullable) - encodeBatchToCommandBuffer:sourceImages:sourceStates: (MPSImage *__nonnull) - executeAsyncWithSourceImages:completionHandler: Class Methods (nullable instancetype) + graphWithDevice:resultImage:resultImageIsNeeded: (nullable instancetype) + graphWithDevice:resultImage: Properties NSArray< id< MPSHandle > > * sourceImageHandles NSArray< id< MPSHandle > > * sourceStateHandles NSArray< id< MPSHandle > > * intermediateImageHandles NSArray< id< MPSHandle > > * resultStateHandles id< MPSHandle > resultHandle BOOL outputStateIsTemporary id< MPSImageAllocator > destinationImageAllocator MPSImageFeatureChannelFormat format BOOL resultImageIsNeeded Additional Inherited Members Detailed Description Optimized representation of a graph of MPSNNImageNodes and MPSNNFilterNodes Once you have prepared a graph of MPSNNImageNodes and MPSNNFilterNodes (and if needed MPSNNStateNodes), you may initialize a MPSNNGraph using the MPSNNImageNode that you wish to appear as the result. The MPSNNGraph object will introspect the graph representation and determine which nodes are needed for inputs, and which nodes are produced as output state (if any). Nodes which are not needed to calculate the result image node are ignored. Some nodes may be internally concatenated with other nodes for better performance. Note: the MPSNNImageNode that you choose as the result node may be interior to a graph. This feature is provided as a means to examine intermediate computations in the full graph for debugging purposes. During MPSNNGraph construction, the graph attached to the result node will be parsed and reduced to an optimized representation. This representation may be saved using the NSSecureCoding protocol for later recall. When decoding a MPSNNGraph using a NSCoder, it will be created against the system default MTLDevice. If you would like to set the MTLDevice, your NSCoder should conform to the <MPSDeviceProvider> protocol. You may find it helpful to set MPSKernelOptionsVerbose on the graph when debugging. Method Documentation - (MPSImageBatch * __nullable) encodeBatchToCommandBuffer: (nonnull id< MTLCommandBuffer >) commandBuffer(NSArray< MPSImageBatch * > *__nonnull) sourceImages(NSArray< MPSStateBatch * > *__nullable) sourceStates Convenience method to encode a batch of images - (MPSImageBatch * __nullable) encodeBatchToCommandBuffer: (__nonnull id< MTLCommandBuffer >) commandBuffer(NSArray< MPSImageBatch * > *__nonnull) sourceImages(NSArray< MPSStateBatch * > *__nullable) sourceStates(NSMutableArray< MPSImageBatch * > *__nullable) intermediateImages(NSMutableArray< MPSStateBatch * > *__nullable) destinationStates Encode the graph to a MTLCommandBuffer This interface is like the other except that it operates on a batch of images all at once. In addition, you may specify whether the result is needed. Parameters: commandBuffer The command buffer sourceImages A list of MPSImages to use as the source images for the graph. These should be in the same order as the list returned from MPSNNGraph.sourceImageHandles. The images may be image arrays. Typically, this is only one or two images such as a .JPG decoded into a MPSImage*. If the sourceImages are MPSTemporaryImages, the graph will decrement the readCount by 1, even if the graph actually reads an image multiple times. sourceStates A list of MPSState objects to use as state for a graph. These should be in the same order as the list returned from MPSNNGraph.sourceStateHandles. May be nil, if there is no source state. If the sourceStates are temporary, the graph will decrement the readCount by 1, even if the graph actually reads the state multiple times. intermediateImages An optional NSMutableArray to receive any MPSImage objects exported as part of its operation. These are only the images that were tagged with MPSNNImageNode.exportFromGraph = YES. The identity of the states is given by -resultStateHandles. If temporary, each intermediateImage will have a readCount of 1. If the result was tagged exportFromGraph = YES, it will be here too, with a readCount of 2. destinationStates An optional NSMutableArray to receive any MPSState objects created as part of its operation. The identity of the states is given by -resultStateHandles. Returns: A MPSImageBatch or MPSTemporaryImageBatch allocated per the destinationImageAllocator containing the output of the graph. It will be automatically released when commandBuffer completes. If resultIsNeeded == NO, then this will return nil. - (MPSImage * __nullable) encodeToCommandBuffer: (nonnull id< MTLCommandBuffer >) commandBuffer(NSArray< MPSImage * > *__nonnull) sourceImages Encode the graph to a MTLCommandBuffer IMPORTANT: Please use [MTLCommandBuffer addCompletedHandler:] to determine when this work is done. Use CPU time that would have been spent waiting for the GPU to encode the next command buffer and commit it too. That way, the work for the next command buffer is ready to go the moment the GPU is done. This will keep the GPU busy and running at top speed. Those who ignore this advice and use [MTLCommandBuffer waitUntilCompleted] instead will likely cause their code to slow down by a factor of two or more. The CPU clock spins down while it waits for the GPU. When the GPU completes, the CPU runs slowly for a while until it spins up. The GPU has to wait for the CPU to encode more work (at low clock), giving it plenty of time to spin its own clock down. In typical CNN graph usage, neither may ever reach maximum clock frequency, causing slow down far beyond what otherwise would be expected from simple failure to schedule CPU and GPU work concurrently. Regrattably, it is probable that every performance benchmark you see on the net will be based on [MTLCommandBuffer waitUntilCompleted]. Parameters: commandBuffer The command buffer sourceImages A list of MPSImages to use as the source images for the graph. These should be in the same order as the list returned from MPSNNGraph.sourceImageHandles. Returns: A MPSImage or MPSTemporaryImage allocated per the destinationImageAllocator containing the output of the graph. It will be automatically released when commandBuffer completes. It can be nil if resultImageIsNeeded == NO - (MPSImage * __nullable) encodeToCommandBuffer: (nonnull id< MTLCommandBuffer >) commandBuffer(NSArray< MPSImage * > *__nonnull) sourceImages(NSArray< MPSState * > *__nullable) sourceStates(NSMutableArray< MPSImage * > *__nullable) intermediateImages(NSMutableArray< MPSState * > *__nullable) destinationStates Encode the graph to a MTLCommandBuffer Parameters: commandBuffer The command buffer sourceImages A list of MPSImages to use as the source images for the graph. These should be in the same order as the list returned from MPSNNGraph.sourceImageHandles. The images may be image arrays. Typically, this is only one or two images such as a .JPG decoded into a MPSImage*. If the sourceImages are MPSTemporaryImages, the graph will decrement the readCount by 1, even if the graph actually reads an image multiple times. sourceStates A list of MPSState objects to use as state for a graph. These should be in the same order as the list returned from MPSNNGraph.sourceStateHandles. May be nil, if there is no source state. If the sourceStates are temporary, the graph will decrement the readCount by 1, even if the graph actually reads the state multiple times. intermediateImages An optional NSMutableArray to receive any MPSImage objects exported as part of its operation. These are only the images that were tagged with MPSNNImageNode.exportFromGraph = YES. The identity of the states is given by -resultStateHandles. If temporary, each intermediateImage will have a readCount of 1. If the result was tagged exportFromGraph = YES, it will be here too, with a readCount of 2. destinationStates An optional NSMutableArray to receive any MPSState objects created as part of its operation. The identity of the states is given by -resultStateHandles. Returns: A MPSImage or MPSTemporaryImage allocated per the destinationImageAllocator containing the output of the graph. It will be automatically released when commandBuffer completes. - (MPSImage * __nonnull) executeAsyncWithSourceImages: (NSArray< MPSImage * > *__nonnull) sourceImages(MPSNNGraphCompletionHandler __nonnull) handler Convenience method to execute a graph without having to manage many Metal details This function will synchronously encode the graph on a private command buffer, commit it to a MPS internal command queue and return. The GPU will start working. When the GPU is done, the completion handler will be called. You should use the intervening time to encode other work for execution on the GPU, so that the GPU stays busy and doesn't clock down. The work will be performed on the MTLDevice that hosts the source images. This is a convenience API. There are a few situations it does not handle optimally. These may be better handled using [encodeToCommandBuffer:sourceImages:]. Specifically: o If the graph needs to be run multiple times for different images, it would be better to encode the graph multiple times on the same command buffer using [encodeToCommandBuffer:sourceImages:] This will allow the multiple graphs to share memory for intermediate storage, dramatically reducing memory usage. o If preprocessing or post-processing of the MPSImage is required, such as resizing or normalization outside of a convolution, it would be better to encode those things on the same command buffer. Memory may be saved here too for intermediate storage. (MPSTemporaryImage lifetime does not span multiple command buffers.) Parameters: sourceImages A list of MPSImages to use as the source images for the graph. These should be in the same order as the list returned from MPSNNGraph.sourceImageHandles. They should be allocated against the same MTLDevice. There must be at least one source image. Note: this array is intended to handle the case where multiple input images are required to generate a single graph result. That is, the graph itself has multiple inputs. If you need to execute the graph multiple times, then call this API multiple times, or better yet use [encodeToCommandBuffer:sourceImages:] multiple times. (See discussion) handler A block to receive any errors generated. This block may run on any thread and may be called before this method returns. The image, if any, passed to this callback is the same image as that returned from the left hand side. Returns: A MPSImage to receive the result. The data in the image will not be valid until the completionHandler is called. + (nullable instancetype) graphWithDevice: (nonnull id< MTLDevice >) device(MPSNNImageNode *__nonnull) resultImage + (nullable instancetype) graphWithDevice: (nonnull id< MTLDevice >) device(MPSNNImageNode *__nonnull) resultImage(BOOL) resultIsNeeded - (nullable instancetype) initWithCoder: (NSCoder *__nonnull) aDecoder(nonnull id< MTLDevice >) device NSSecureCoding compatability While the standard NSSecureCoding/NSCoding method -initWithCoder: should work, since the file can't know which device your data is allocated on, we have to guess and may guess incorrectly. To avoid that problem, use initWithCoder:device instead. Parameters: aDecoder The NSCoder subclass with your serialized MPSKernel device The MTLDevice on which to make the MPSKernel Returns: A new MPSKernel object, or nil if failure. Reimplemented from MPSKernel. - (nonnull instancetype) initWithDevice: (__nonnull id< MTLDevice >) device Use initWithDevice:resultImage: instead - (nullable instancetype) initWithDevice: (nonnull id< MTLDevice >) device(MPSNNImageNode *__nonnull) resultImage - (nullable instancetype) initWithDevice: (nonnull id< MTLDevice >) device(MPSNNImageNode *__nonnull) resultImage(BOOL) resultIsNeeded Initialize a MPSNNGraph object on a device starting with resultImage working backward The MPSNNGraph constructor will start with the indicated result image, and look to see what MPSNNFilterNode produced it, then look to its dependencies and so forth to reveal the subsection of the graph necessary to compute the image. Parameters: device The MTLDevice on which to run the graph resultImage The MPSNNImageNode corresponding to the last image in the graph. This is the image that will be returned. Note: the imageAllocator for this node is ignored and the MPSNNGraph.destinationImageAllocator is used for this node instead. resultIsNeeded Commonly, when training a graph, the last MPSImage out of the graph is not used. The final gradient filter is run solely to update some weights. If resultIsNeeded is set to NO, nil will be returned from the left hand side of the -encode call instead, and computation to produce the last image may be pruned away. Returns: A new MPSNNGraph. Property Documentation - (id<MPSImageAllocator>) destinationImageAllocator [read], [write], [nonatomic], [retain] Method to allocate the result image from -encodeToCommandBuffer... This property overrides the allocator for the final result image in the graph. Default: defaultAllocator (MPSImage) - (MPSImageFeatureChannelFormat) format [read], [write], [nonatomic], [assign] The default storage format used for graph intermediate images This doesn't affect how data is stored in buffers in states. Nor does it affect the storage format for weights such as convolution weights stored by individual filters. Default: MPSImageFeatureChannelFormatFloat16 - (NSArray<id <MPSHandle> >*) intermediateImageHandles [read], [nonatomic], [copy] Get a list of identifiers for intermediate images objects produced by the graph - (BOOL) outputStateIsTemporary [read], [write], [nonatomic], [assign] Should MPSState objects produced by -encodeToCommandBuffer... be temporary objects. See MPSState description. Default: NO - (id<MPSHandle>) resultHandle [read], [nonatomic], [assign] Get a handle for the graph result image - (BOOL) resultImageIsNeeded [read], [nonatomic], [assign] Set at -init time. If NO, nil will be returned from -encode calls and some computation may be omitted. - (NSArray<id <MPSHandle> >*) resultStateHandles [read], [nonatomic], [copy] Get a list of identifiers for result state objects produced by the graph Not guaranteed to be in the same order as sourceStateHandles - (NSArray<id <MPSHandle> >*) sourceImageHandles [read], [nonatomic], [copy] Get a list of identifiers for source images needed to calculate the result image - (NSArray<id <MPSHandle> >*) sourceStateHandles [read], [nonatomic], [copy] Get a list of identifiers for source state objects needed to calculate the result image Not guaranteed to be in the same order as resultStateHandles Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for MetalPerformanceShaders.framework from the source code. Version MetalPerformanceShaders-100 Thu Feb 8 2018 MPSNNGraph(3)