Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Graphics cards
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Graphics cards Post 302484957 by fpmurphy on Monday 3rd of January 2011 08:50:48 PM
Old 01-03-2011
You do not know for sure unless you try it. However in general you will not see any improvement in performance unless you can partition your problem domain into threads of execution which keep the GPU processors busy but minimize data transfers to/from the GPU.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Graphics And Animation

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY C OR ANY OTHER UNIX LANGUAGE IS USED IN THREE DIMENSIONAL ANIMATION AND RENDERING (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aloysius1001
5 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Graphics programing

Hi all! I`m new in Unix (Linux) and i whant to ask something! What language should i use for Linux developing.I meen applications an GAME DEVELOPING! Should i use C,TCL ??? Please help me on this ...:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebastyan
1 Replies

3. Programming

Graphics libraries

I want to know if under Linux there are some graphics libraries and/or functions for using simple graphics in the 'console' screen. For example with MS-DOS (when I was using Borland Turbo C++ v1.01, a very old version) there was the include file <graphics.h> that allowed to enter the graphic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robotronic
1 Replies

4. Programming

graphics commands ? ? ?

Graphics in UNIX :D well how to include "graphics.h" header file ? how to make the text output in colour in sh programming. please feed in back ....... thanking you alll imma (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: immanuelgangte
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX supported graphics cards

I'm using an IBM RS6000 running AIX 5.3. Currently I can only attach a dumb terminal to it to log in at the console or use terminal emulation software to connect to it remotely via my pc. What I would like to do is install a graphics card, so that I can make use of the kvm mounted in the rack. So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HNelson
2 Replies

6. Programming

2D Graphics Lib

Hi, I am on Fedora9 and need to do some simple 2D graphics (for game development). I am looking for an ideal 2D library/package to be used with GCC. I have come accross GRX, libmxi and some OpenGL (The 3D), but none of which seems to be ok. I could not find any tutorial or support material... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nasersh
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

graphics drivers

ok, right off the bat im going to say this, i know that there is about over 100 links on google for this, just none of them help me. i have a radeon mobility 7500 graphics card. and i want to enable the compiz effects via Administration/preferences/Appearance. the problem is that i can't get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
12 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

[Solved] links2 --enable-graphics from source, configure error: no graphics driver found.

Howdy I am trying to install links2 with graphics support on snow leopard 10.6.8 (xcode installed). I have had the program running last year, also installed from source - but then I had installed some image libraries with mac ports and fink - cannot reproduce that setup. Plus I would like to not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterbaerchen
6 Replies
powermetrics(1) 					    BSD General Commands Manual 					   powermetrics(1)

NAME
powermetrics SYNOPSIS
powermetrics [-i sample_interval_ms] [-o order] [-t wakeup_cost] [-u output_file] [-n sample_count] DESCRIPTION
powermetrics gathers and display CPU usage statistics (divided into time spent in user mode and supervisor mode), timer and interrupt wakeup frequency (total and, for near-idle workloads, those that resulted in package idle exits), and on supported platforms, interrupt frequencies (categorized by CPU number), package C-state statistics (an indication of the time the core complex + integrated graphics, if any, were in low-power idle states), as well as the average execution frequency for each CPU when not idle. -h, --help Print help message. -u file, --output-file file Output to file instead of stdout. -b size, --buffer-size size Set output buffer size (0=none, 1=line) -i N, --sample-interval N sample every N ms (0=disabled) [default: 5000ms] -n N, --sample-count N Obtain N periodic samples (0=infinite) [default: 0] -t N, --wakeup-cost N Assume package idle wakeups have a CPU time cost of N us when using hybrid sort orders using idle wakeups with time-based metrics -o method, --order method Order process list using specified method [default: composite] [pid] process identifier [wakeups] total package idle wakeups (alias: -W) [cputime] total CPU time used (alias: -C) [composite] weighted hybrid of package idle wakeups and CPU time used (alias: -O) -f format, --format format Display data in specified format [default: text] [text] human-readable text output [plist] machine-readable property list, NUL-separated -a N, --poweravg N Display poweravg every N samples (0=disabled) [default: 10] --hide-platform-power Hide platform power data --hide-cpu-duty-cycle Hide CPU duty cycle data --hide-gpu-duty-cycle Hide GPU duty cycle data --show-initial-usage Print initial sample for entire uptime --show-usage-summary Print final usage summary when exiting This tool also implements special behavior upon receipt of certain signals to aid with the automated collection of data: SIGINFO take an immediate sample SIGIO flush any buffered output SIGINT/SIGTERM stop sampling and exit OUTPUT
Guidelines for energy reduction CPU time, deadlines and interrupt wakeups: Lower is better Interrupt counts: Lower is better C-state residency: Higher is better Running Tasks 1. CPU time consumed by threads assigned to that process, broken down into time spent in user space and kernel mode. 2. Counts of "short" timers (where the time-to-deadline was < 5 milliseconds in the future at the point of timer creation) which woke up threads from that process. High frequency timers, which typically have short time-to-deadlines, can result in significant energy consumption. 3. A count of total interrupt level wakeups which resulted in dispatching a thread from the process in question. For example, if a thread were blocked in a usleep() system call, a timer interrupt would cause that thread to be dispatched, and would increment this counter. For workloads with a significant idle component, this metric is useful to study in conjunction with the package idle exit metric reported below. 4. A count of "package idle exits" induced by timers/device interrupts which awakened threads from the process in question. This is a subset of the interrupt wakeup count. Timers and other interrupts that trigger "package idle exits" have a greater impact on energy consumption rel- ative to other interrupts. With the exception of some Mac Pro systems, Mac and iOS systems are typically single package systems, wherein all CPUs are part of a single processor complex (typically a single IC die) with shared logic that can include (depending on system specifics) shared last level caches, an integrated memory controller etc. When all CPUs in the package are idle, the hardware can power-gate significant portions of the shared logic in addition to each individual processor's logic, as well as take measures such as placing DRAM in to self- refresh (also referred to as auto-refresh), place interconnects into lower-power states etc. Hence a timer or interrupt that triggers an exit from this package idle state results in a a greater increase in power than a timer that occurred when the CPU in question was already execut- ing. The process initiating a package idle wakeup may also be the "prime mover", i.e. it may be the trigger for further activity in its own or other processes. This metric is most useful when the system is relatively idle, as with typical light workloads such as web browsing and movie playback; with heavier workloads, the CPU activity can be high enough such that package idle entry is relatively rare, thus masking package idle exits due to the process/thread in question. 5. If any processes arrived and vanished during the inter-sample interval, or a previously sampled process vanished, their statistics are reflected in the row labeled "DEAD_TASKS". This can identify issues involving transient processes which may be spawned too frequently. dtrace ("execsnoop") or other tools can then be used to identify the transient processes in question. Interrupt Distribution Powermetrics also reports interrupt frequencies, classified by interrupt vector and associated device, on a per-CPU basis.Mac OS currently assigns all device interrupts to CPU0, but timers and interprocessor interrupts can occur on other CPUs. Interrupt frequencies can be useful in identifying misconfigured devices or areas of improvement in interrupt load, and can serve as a proxy for identifying device activity across the sample interval. For example, during a network-heavy workload, an increase in interrupts associated with Airport wireless ("ARPT"), or wired ethernet ("ETH0" "ETH1" etc.) is not unexpected. However, if the interrupt frequency for a given device is non-zero when the device is not active (e.g. if "HDAU" interrupts, for High Definition Audio, occur even when no audio is playing), that may be a driver error. Battery Statistics Powermetrics reports battery discharge rates, current and maximum charge levels, cycle counts and degradation from design capacity across the interval in question, if a delta was reported by the battery management unit. Note that the battery controller data may arrive out-of-phase with respect to powermetrics samples, which can cause aliasing issues across short sample intervals. Discharge rates across discontinuities such as sleep/wake may also be inaccurate on some systems; however, the rate of change of the total charge level across longer intervals is a useful indicator of total system load. Powermetrics does not filter discharge rates for A/C connect/disconnect events, system sleep residency etc. Battery discharge rates are typically not comparable across machine models. Processor Energy Usage Powermetrics next reports data derived from the Intel energy models; as of the Sandy Bridge intel microarchitecture, the Intel power control unit internally maintains an energy consumption model whose details are proprietary, but are likely based on duty cycles for individual exe- cution units, current voltage/frequency etc. These numbers are not strictly accurate but are correlated with actual energy consumption. This section lists: power dissipated by the processor package which includes the CPU cores, the integrated GPU and the system agent (integrated memory controller, last level cache), and separately, CPU core power and GT (integrated GPU) power (the latter two in a forthcoming version). The energy model data is generally not comparable across machine models. Powermetrics next reports, on processors with Nehalem and newer microarchitectures, hardware derived processor frequency and idle residency information, labeled "P-states" and "C-states" respectively in Intel terminology. C-states are further classified in to "package c-states" and per-core C-states. The processor enters a "c-state" in the scheduler's idle loop, which results in clock-gating or power-gating CPU core and, potentially, package logic, considerably reducing power dissipation. High package c-state residency is a goal to strive for, as energy consumption of the CPU complex, integrated memory controller if any and DRAM is significantly reduced when in a package c-state. Package c-states occur when all CPU cores within the package are idle, and the on-die inte- grated GPU if any (SandyBridge mobile and beyond), on the system is also idle. Powermetrics reports package c-state residency as a fraction of the time sampled. This is available on Nehalem microarchitecture and newer processors. Note that some systems, such as Mac Pros, do not enable "package" c-states. Powermetrics also reports per-core c-state residencies, signifying when the core in question (which can include multiple SMTs or "hyper- threads") is idle, as well as active/inactive duty cycle histograms for each logical processor within the core. This is available on Nehalem microarchitecture and newer processors. This section also lists the average clock frequency at which the given logical processor executed when not idle within the sampled interval, expressed as both an absolute frequency in MHz and as a percentage of the nominal rated frequency. These average frequencies can vary due to the operating system's demand based dynamic voltage and frequency scaling. Some systems can execute at frequencies greater than the nominal or "P1" frequency, which is termed "turbo mode" on Intel systems. Such operation will manifest as > 100% of nominal frequency. Lengthy execu- tion in turbo mode is typically energy inefficient, as those frequencies have high voltage requirements, resulting in a correspondingly qua- dratic increase in power insufficient to outweigh the reduction in execution time. Current systems typically have a single voltage/frequency domain per-package, but as the processors can execute out-of-phase, they may display different average execution frequencies. Disk Usage and Network Activity Powermetrics reports deltas in disk and network activity that occured during the sample. Backlight level Powermetrics reports the instantaneous value of the backlight luminosity level. This value is likely not comparable across systems and machine models, but can be useful when comparing scenarios on a given system. KNOWN ISSUES
Changes in system time and sleep/wake can cause minor inaccuracies in reported cpu time. Darwin June 1, 2019 Darwin