Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Needs help in launching a console application with the help of daemon process Post 302484937 by citaylor on Monday 3rd of January 2011 05:21:44 PM
Old 01-03-2011
Perhaps the application is expecting there to be a stdout/stderr file descriptor - instead of the close you could try:
Code:
int fd=open("/dev/null",O_WRONLY);
if(fd >=0) {
    dup2(fd,STDOUT_FILENO);
    dup2(fd,STDERR_FILENO);
    close(fd);
}

Obviously on Linux you want to open "/dev/null", but I guess on windows that would be "nul"...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Daemon process

Hi, I have to write a daemon process, which performs certain operations in the background. Now since it performs operations in the background, it should not display anything to the standard output. The problem is that it still displays, text on standard output. Can anyone tell me (it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_chordia
2 Replies

2. Programming

What is a daemon process?

This is gonna seem really silly to almost evryone here - but I need to know : what is a daemon process? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kanu77
6 Replies

3. Linux

daemon process

how i will write the daemon process,if any body have sample daemon process send me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh_rupineni
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Problem launching process as BG with &

After i launch the process as back ground, when I try to grab the shell by sending the enter, process is going to Stopped state. How do I successfully run the job in bg with &. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hansini
1 Replies

5. Programming

Show progress in console application

Hi all I have a program in C++ that I compiled on Ubuntu 9.0 and Centos 5, after I got it running on Windows. In this program, I show progress of a process using the following construct: i = 0; quantum = floor(total_iterations, 100); perc = 0; do { remain = fmod(i, quantum); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msaqib
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Launching a process in remote machine

Hi all, Normally to launch a process in the remote machine I will use ssh to the machine and launch the process.I want to launch the remote machine process with out login into the machine . Is there any way. It may be any workaround method. Thanks in advance .:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthigayan
3 Replies

7. Programming

Daemon process

I wish to make a process run in the background, but only one instance of it, and not many, so when the program is loaded, it has to check whether another instance of the same program is running and if so to exit. How do I do this ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundaresh
4 Replies
Tk_SetAppName(3)					       Tk Library Procedures						  Tk_SetAppName(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_SetAppName - Set the name of an application for 'send' commands SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> const char * Tk_SetAppName(tkwin, name) ARGUMENTS
Tk_Window tkwin (in) Token for window in application. Used only to select a particular application. const char *name (in) Name under which to register the application. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tk_SetAppName associates a name with a given application and records that association on the display containing with the application's main window. After this procedure has been invoked, other applications on the display will be able to use the send command to invoke operations in the application. If name is already in use by some other application on the display, then a new name will be generated by appending " #2" to name; if this name is also in use, the number will be incremented until an unused name is found. The return value from the proce- dure is a pointer to the name actually used. If the application already has a name when Tk_SetAppName is called, then the new name replaces the old name. Tk_SetAppName also adds a send command to the application's interpreter, which can be used to send commands from this application to others on any of the displays where the application has windows. The application's name registration persists until the interpreter is deleted or the send command is deleted from interp, at which point the name is automatically unregistered and the application becomes inaccessible via send. The application can be made accessible again by calling Tk_SetAppName. Tk_SetAppName is called automatically by Tk_Init, so applications do not normally need to call it explicitly. The command tk appname provides Tcl-level access to the functionality of Tk_SetAppName. KEYWORDS
application, name, register, send command Tk 4.0 Tk_SetAppName(3)