Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Case insensitive search in AIX man ? Post 302484376 by frank_rizzo on Thursday 30th of December 2010 07:49:39 PM
Old 12-30-2010
Code:
export MORE=-i
man blah

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk case-insensitive

can I tell awk to be case insensitive for one operation without setting the ignorecase value ? thanks, Steffen (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

case insensitive

hi everyone, I need to do the following thing in a case insesitive mode sed 's/work/job/g' filename since work could appear in different form as Work WORK WorK wORK,.... I was wondering if i could do a case insensitive search of a word. thanks in advance, :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

case-insensitive search with AWK

Hi All, How we can perform case-insensitive search with AWK.:rolleyes: regards, Sam (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case Insensitive search

Hey , i am trying to do a search for the certain books , and im trying to make it case insensitive. what i have come up with so far is this : Database.txt RETARDED MONKEY:RACHEAL ABRAHAML:30:30:20 GOLD:FATIN:23.20:12:3 STUPID:JERLYN:20:40:3 echo -n "Title: " read Title echo -n... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

more command case insensitive search ?

Hello, How do I set case insensitive search mode while the file is open with more command ? (I know -i option which could be used before opening) thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed for case insensitive search

Hi, I have a file named "test_file" that has the below content. It has words in upper/lower cases PRODOPS prodOPS ProdOps PRODops escalate Shell My requirement is to replace all the "prodops" (what ever case it may be) with "productionoperations". I tried using the "i" option with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbhuvana20
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using FIND with case insensitive search

I am using HP-Unix B.11.31. Question: How to do the case insensitive search using FIND? Example: I would like list the files with extension of *.SQL & *.sql. When I try with command find . -type f -name *.sql, it does not lists file with *.SQL. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for a case insensitive search

Hi All, What is the command to search a file for a case-insensitive match 1.grep -nc text filename 2.grep -i text filename 3.grep -i filename text 4.grep -nc filename text 5.grep -c text filename Thanks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case insensitive file name search and replace

I am trying to find case insensitive file names and then replace that particular file with other name. if then ls | grep -i "update" | xargs -I {} mv {} LineItems.csv echo "File moved from *update*" elif then ls | grep -i "priority" | xargs -I {} mv {} ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ATWC
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using awk to search case insensitive

Hello , Using the below scrip to search a string in a file , by case-insensitively Please assist on using the toupper() as getting error !. #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x curr_dir=`pwd` file_ctr=0 printf "\n Reviewing the output file from the directory: %s \n\n" $curr_dir ls -latr ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies
HOSTNAME(7)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       HOSTNAME(7)

NAME
hostname - hostname resolution description DESCRIPTION
Hostnames are domains, where a domain is a hierarchical, dot-separated list of subdomains; for example, the machine monet, in the Berkeley subdomain of the EDU subdomain of the Internet would be represented as monet.Berkeley.EDU (with no trailing dot). Hostnames are often used with network client and server programs, which must generally translate the name to an address for use. (This task is generally performed by either getaddrinfo(3) or the obsolete gethostbyname(3).) Hostnames are resolved by the Internet name resolver in the following fashion. If the name consists of a single component, that is, contains no dot, and if the environment variable HOSTALIASES is set to the name of a file, that file is searched for any string matching the input hostname. The file should consist of lines made up of two white-space sepa- rated strings, the first of which is the hostname alias, and the second of which is the complete hostname to be substituted for that alias. If a case-insensitive match is found between the hostname to be resolved and the first field of a line in the file, the substituted name is looked up with no further processing. If the input name ends with a trailing dot, the trailing dot is removed, and the remaining name is looked up with no further processing. If the input name does not end with a trailing dot, it is looked up by searching through a list of domains until a match is found. The default search list includes first the local domain, then its parent domains with at least 2 name components (longest first). For example, in the domain CS.Berkeley.EDU, the name lithium.CChem will be checked first as lithium.CChem.CS.Berkeley.EDU and then as lithium.CChem.Berkeley.EDU. Lithium.CChem.EDU will not be tried, as there is only one component remaining from the local domain. The search path can be changed from the default by a system-wide configuration file (see resolver(5)). SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3), resolver(5), mailaddr(7), named(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-06-11 HOSTNAME(7)