Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to check for a directory in /home for all users Post 302484306 by barrydocks on Thursday 30th of December 2010 01:55:04 PM
Old 12-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Posts #1 and #7 in that thread are vague, difficult to understand and appear contradictory. I can see why post #7 stopped the thread dead.

In order to script something there would need to be an existing working manual process or at least a clear definition of the process. I see neither.
I don't think that it is even clear which computer(s) need the process or whether you are clear what "mount" means in the unix world.

Others may differ.
Yes, you are probably right and demonstrates my lack of knowledge as I have only been using Linux for about 18months. I have come a long way in the last 18months as a non-IT proffessional but realise these types of scripts are way beyond my ability, hence the posts on these types of forums - this is probably the best I have found so far.

Basically I have a central server running ubuntu 10.04 server edition. This acts as a file, print, samba, ftp server and gateway for my local network. I have used a mix of ebox, webmin and CLI to administer it. I would like to mount a common directory in the /home directory of all the users at start up. I quickly realised that this was not possible by mounting them via fstab without listing all the mount points individually which is why I have turned to creating a startup script. All the users have real accounts on the server and login via LDAP for samba. In summary I need a script that will:
1. check if a given directory is present in /home of all users
2. create the directory if it is not present to act as a mount point
3. mount a separate directory that resided on a different partition at the mount point that has just been created for all users.

Hopefully this is clearerSmilie

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restrict users to ther home directory

Hello! I want users in a certain group to be restricted to their home directory. So that they have full access to all files and folders in their home directory but the cant go to any directory above. Does anyone know how to do this? Anders (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alfabetman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Profiles for users without home directory

Hi I want to know which profile will be called when a user without home directory is created. When I created a user without home directory(by setting in /etc/default/useradd), the user is able to login directly into the main "/" folder but with only read permissions. Thanks naina (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naina
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Directory Jail for Users

Hi, I am looking for a shell script (or any other way), that puts a user in a home directory jail. So for example, I have a user named richard and I don't want him wandering outside /usr/users/richard. I don't want him to cd to anywhere including cd .. Somebody said you can do that with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mz043
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost /home/directory for users

I'm using HPUX 11i. The other day a user logon to the workstation and was not able to find the /home/directory (tom is the directory) I login myself and it is the same thing. The home directory is on the server, so I was thinking of using sam to map it again. does anyone know how to do it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blizzgamer
5 Replies

5. Solaris

find home directory paths for all users

How to find al the user's home directories? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Common Home directory for different users??

Hi Guys, I have a problem with configuring a server. this is a solaris 10 with sparc platform. I have setup so that the server is Authenticating through NIS but I dont want the server to Mount the Home directories. The users need to logged in through the CDE/display. I have over 200 users... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luky
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

about the access permission of users home directory

RHEL5.0 As we know, when root create a new user, a new home directory will be created : /home/user I want to know what determine the access permission of /home/user . Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

SSH lock users to the Home Directory

Hi friends, I must to give ssh connection to own customer. So I want to lock ssh user on own home directory. It is not necessery to reach other folders. I know that ftp user can lock on own folder but I don't know how to lock ssh user. I am waitting your kindly helps :D ---------- Post... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Home Directory for Users in Login Hook Script

I'm writing a script to use as a LoginHook for my Mac users. As part of this script, I need to write to a location in their home directory, but I can't seem to access the path - at this point in the login process, $HOME is empty and ~ gives the path to root's home. Unfortunately, I can't just do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blondepianist
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions on a directory in /home for all users

Hi, I have created a shared directory on /home, where all users on a certain group have read, write and execute permissions. I did this using chmod -R g+rwx /home/shared/ The problem is, when a particular user creates a directory within /home/shared, other users are not able to write to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies
COPYFS-MOUNT(1) 						   User Commands						   COPYFS-MOUNT(1)

NAME
copyfs-mount - mounts a versioned file system SYNOPSIS
copyfs-mount version-directory mount-point DESCRIPTION
This script lets you mount a CopyFS file system. version-directory is the directory where the files and version information will be stored by CopyFS. When using CopyFS for the first time, copyfs-mount will create the required files in the version-directory before running copyfs-daemon. mount-point is the directory where the copyfs file system will be mounted. This is where the users will have access to the files. If you want to mount a CopyFS at '/mnt/fs', whose version directory is at /var/versions, you would use: root@host# copyfs-mount /var/versions /mnt/fs To unmount it, simply do: root@host# umount /mnt/fs As you would do for any other filesystem. You can also allow an ordinary non-root users to mount and unmount CopyFS filesystems provided that the user is added to the 'fuse' group. Ordinary users will be able unmount the filesystem, using the fusermount command: $ fusermount -u mount-point AUTHORS
CopyFS was created by Thomas Joubert and Nicolas Vigier <boklm@mars-attacks.org> LINKS
<http://n0x.org/copyfs/> CopyFS web site. <http://fuse.sourceforge.net/> FUSE - Filesystem in USErspace SEE ALSO
copyfs(1), copyfs-fversion(1), copyfs-daemon(1), fusermount(1) copyfs-mount May 2008 COPYFS-MOUNT(1)