Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut operation is not helping me much Post 302484227 by methyl on Thursday 30th of December 2010 07:58:17 AM
Old 12-30-2010
That's why the "cut" misbehaved.

The "awk" approach is best because it copes well with mixed and variable length white space.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a helping hand --stuck in starting of this problm.

Hi all it is a real challenge for me to do it in 2 days any help or suggestion will be a great ! Problem : I have 17 - CSV files (Coma separated value) each file conating around 26 column the first line of each of the file conatin the field name and from second line the file contain data for... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
13 Replies

2. IP Networking

helping new Linux users remotely ?

I volunteer with a small charity which locally donates refurbished computers to people who normally could not afford their own computer. Most of these computers now have Linux on them. We are in the process of remastering Xubuntu 9.04 to use as our main distro from now on. In the past any time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagagnon
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Helping in parsing subset of text from a big results file

Hi All, I need some help to effectively parse out a subset of results from a big results file. Below is an example of the text file. Each block that I need to parse starts with "reading sequence file 10.codon" (next block starts with another number) and ends with **p-Value(s)**. I have given... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column operation : cosne and sine operation

I have a txt file with several columns and i want to peform an operation on two columns and output it to a new txt file . file.txt 900.00000 1 1 1 500.00000 500.00000 100000.000 4 4 1.45257346E-07 899.10834 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Helping with similar "read -t" for KSH file

Hi all, I've trying to apply this command into my .ksh file, but UNIX doesn't accept this option. I need wait a few seconds (maybe 20sec. is very well). Could you please help me? code: #!/bin/ksh .... .... .... read -t 20 continue_run if ]; then; continue_run='N' fi ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: speed_racer
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Helping a Newbie with Shell Homework

Good Evening, i got a homework where i have to list all files in the directory with the name length >=3 and <= 6 and after trying it for 2 days my Prof gave me a bit of code: #!/bin/bash for file in $(ls) do done after that he told me "now you only have to use wc and you got it" but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mentoss
1 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- select portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility selects portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file argu- ments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a num- ber, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the first number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, over- lapping, and in any order. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use the first character of delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, delimited in the input by a single tab character. Output fields are separated by a single tab character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut if the -n option is specified. Their effect is described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 DIAGNOSTICS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BUGS
The -c option is a synonym for the -b option, which causes incorrect behaviour in locales that support multibyte characters. When operating on fields (-f option is specified), cut does not recognise multibyte characters, and the delim character is recognised in the middle of multibyte sequences. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD