Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String comparison not working inside while loop Post 302484174 by sudvishw on Thursday 30th of December 2010 03:56:09 AM
Old 12-30-2010
String comparison not working inside while loop

Hi,
In the code included below, the string comparision is not working fine. Please help
Code:

while (( find_out >= i ))
      do
        file=`head -$i f.out|tail -1`
        dir=`dirname $file`
        cd $dir
        Status=""
        if [ -d CVS ]; then
          Status=`cvs -Q status $f_name|grep Status|cut -d ":" -f3`
        fi
        if [ -n "$Status" ] && [ "$Status" != "Up-to-date" ]; then
          echo "$f_name | $Status | $dir" >> /home/ustst/out1
        fi
        cd -
      let i=i+1
      done

Here, though it gets subsituted as [ Up-to-date != Up-to-date ], it still goes inside the if condition.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if loop (string comparison)

Hi Can someone please tell me what is wrong with this (ksh).. if + ]] then echo ${COMP_TEMP} fi What i need here is, say if the variable is a 1 or 2 digit number, then execute the if loop. Basically the variable can either be 1-30 or some other character sequence say '?', '&&'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psynaps3
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping a array inside inside ssh is not working, pls help

set -A arr a1 a2 a3 a4 # START ssh -xq $Server1 -l $Username /usr/bin/ksh <<-EOS integer j=0 for loop in ${arr} do printf "array - ${arr}\n" (( j = j + 1 )) j=`expr j+1` done EOS # END ========= this is not giving me correct output. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex inside if comparison

I'm trying to compare the last octet of an IP to a regex: IP=$(ifconfig eth0 | grep inet | awk -F: '{print $2}' | awk -F. '{print $4}' | awk '{print $1}') if ]; then echo "GOOD: Correct IP range for server" else echo "ERROR:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_becker
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String handling is not working inside if loop

Hi All, I am comparing two strings inside an if condition if the strings are same then it should go inside the loop else it should execute code given in else part. But there is a but inside my script Even if the if condition is true it is not going inside the loop also it is executing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String concatenation not working in a loop

Hi, First post, so I hope someone can help me with this weirdness :) I have a number files with some rows of information I want to extract, at the same time I want to add to a string some details from the file. I have found two different ways of looping over rows in a file, but one method... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LostInTheWoods
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

string comparison not working inside while loop

The string comparison highlighted below is not working fine. Please help: while read line do # Get File name by deleting everything that preceedes and follows Filename as printed in cvs status' output f_name=`echo $line | sed -e 's/^File://' -e 's/ *Status:.*//' | awk '{print $NF}'` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

set -options not working inside for loop?

I'm a beginner in shell scripting (I'm using ksh). I'm manipulating some files and I'm using set -A to transform each read line into a numeric array. However, inside the 'for' loop the options of set (ie '-A') are not recognized (the vi editor doesn't highlight it and it doesn't work). Where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasumlolla
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If loop inside function not working.

check_deplver () { dir=/abc/def/ghi if ssh -o StrictHostKeychecking=no $1 "" 2> /dev/null then echo " output is " ssh -o StrictHostKeychecking=no $1 "ls -lrt $dir | grep -i abc" 2> /dev/null else echo " directory not presnt" fi } This is not working. But... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: NarayanaPrakash
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
       git-sh-setup - Common Git shell script setup code

SYNOPSIS
       . "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup"

DESCRIPTION
       This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish
       scripts and/or are writing new ones.

The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal Git
       directories and a few helper shell functions.

Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage()
       shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not).

The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment.

FUNCTIONS
       die
	   exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream.

usage
	   die with the usage message.

set_reflog_action
	   Set GIT_REFLOG_ACTION environment to a given string (typically the name of the program) unless it is already set. Whenever the script
	   runs a git command that updates refs, a reflog entry is created using the value of this string to leave the record of what command
	   updated the ref.

git_editor
	   runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified
	   and the terminal is dumb.

is_bare_repository
	   outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated
	   working tree).

cd_to_toplevel
	   runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree.

require_work_tree
	   checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies.

require_work_tree_exists
	   checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which
	   is impossible to do if there is no working tree.

require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>]
	   checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits
	   an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example:

require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them."

get_author_ident_from_commit
	   outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit.

create_virtual_base
	   modifies the first file so only lines in common with the second file remain. If there is insufficient common material, then the first
	   file is left empty. The result is suitable as a virtual base input for a 3-way merge.

GIT
       Part of the git(1) suite

Git 2.17.1							    10/05/2018							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)