Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script for inserting line at specific place in file Post 302484156 by michaelrozar17 on Thursday 30th of December 2010 02:16:34 AM
Old 12-30-2010
Post the error you got while using mv command. Before that check for permissions in the smb.conf file that could be the reason as well. cp command should not delete the original file (temp_file, here) hmm..its weird!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert file 1 at a specific place of file 2

Hello, I need to search in file2 for class A : public B { and insert right after that the content of file1. I am a bit lost as to which tools (which bash functions, awk...). I should use. Thanks for some directions here. Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JCR
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting av file in 2 at specific place based on textpattern

I have a file that I want to split in 2 (with Bourne shell sh) preferably. The file consists of groups of lines separated by newline. The file can vary in length, so I need to check number of groups of text. Here's an example ====EXAMPLE START==== #fruit banana #color yellow #surface smooth... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: borgeh
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Jump to a specific place in a file?

If I cat a file And want to go to the first instance of a particular value - what command would I use? And then from that point where I jumped to search for another value - but only search from that point forward not before the file? Thanks~ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem inserting text into file after specific line

this is utterly embarassing :( after posting here i revisited my files and found that when i used "vi" instead of a gui based editor, i suddenly found that the indentations were in fact wrong :( sorry about this :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mocca
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file specific place in file using inode

Hello, I am using tcsh on AIX. I would like to write a script that does the following: 1. given an inode, how do I find exactly the name of the file? I know I could do this using ls -i | grep <inode> but it returns: <inode> <filename>. I need some string manipulation or something to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastZenMaster
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text into a file but searching for the place to put it!

Hi I would love a bit of help with a problem im having with a script. I need to insert a line of text which is saved in a variable called $fwInsert into a file whos name is saved in a variable called $server but it needs to be in a certain order. The file is a forward file for a network and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: KatieV
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting file after specific line in another file

Im attempting to insert the contents of File1 at a specific point of File2. File1 AD004 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 File2 AA001 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 AB002 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 AC003 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 Result AA001 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting a specific line and inserting a new line after commented line.

Hello All, I have following file contents cat file #line=aaaaaa #line=bbbbbb #line=cccccc #line=dddddd line=eeeeee #comment=11111 #comment=22222 #comment=33333 #comment=44444 comment=55555 Testing script Good Luck! I would like to comment line line=eeeeee and insert a new line... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge variable data from another file into specific place?

Hello, I'm trying to create multiple commands using a variable input from another file but am not getting any successful results. Basically, file1.txt contains multiple lines with single words: <file1.txt> yellow blue black white I want to create multiple echo commands with these... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to place specific contents filename within text file

I am trying to use awk to place the contens of a filename in $1 and $2 followed by the data in the text file. Basically, put the filename within the text file. There are over 1000 files in the directory and as of now each file is saved with a unique name but it is not within the file. Thank you... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies
LIBSMBCLIENT(7) 							 7							   LIBSMBCLIENT(7)

NAME
libsmbclient - An extension library for browsers and that can be used as a generic browsing API. SYNOPSIS
Browser URL: smb://[[[domain:]user[:password@]]server[/share[/path[/file]]]] [?options] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. libsmbclient is a library toolset that permits applications to manipulate CIFS/SMB network resources using many of the standards POSIX functions available for manipulating local UNIX/Linux files. It permits much more than just browsing, files can be opened and read or written, permissions changed, file times modified, attributes and ACL's can be manipulated, and so on. Of course, its functionality includes all the capabilities commonly called browsing. libsmbclient can not be used directly from the command line, instead it provides an extension of the capabilities of tools such as file managers and browsers. This man page describes the configuration options for this tool so that the user may obtain greatest utility of use. OPTIONS
What the URLs mean: smb:// Shows all workgroups or domains that are visible in the network. The behavior matches that of the Microsoft Windows Explorer. The method of locating the list of workgroups (domains also) varies depending on the setting of the context variable (context->options.browse_max_lmb_count). It is the responsibility of the application that calls this library to set this to a sensible value. This is a compile-time option. This value determines the maximum number of local master browsers to query for the list of workgroups. In order to ensure that the list is complete for those present on the network, all master browsers must be queried. If there are a large number of workgroups on the network, the time spent querying will be significant. For small networks (just a few workgroups), it is suggested to set this value to 0, instructing libsmbclient to query all local master browsers. In an environment that has many workgroups a more reasonable setting may be around 3. smb://name/ This command causes libsmbclient to perform a name look-up. If the NAME<1D> or NAME<1B> exists (workgroup name), libsmbclient will list all servers in the workgroup (or domain). Otherwise, a name look-up for the NAME<20> (machine name) will be performed, and the list of shared resources on the server will be displayed. When libsmbclient is invoked by an application it searches for a directory called .smb in the $HOME directory that is specified in the users shell environment. It then searches for a file called smb.conf which, if present, will fully over-ride the system /etc/samba/smb.conf file. If instead libsmbclient finds a file called ~/.smb/smb.conf.append, it will read the system /etc/samba/smb.conf and then append the contents of the ~/.smb/smb.conf.append to it. libsmbclient will check the users shell environment for the USER parameter and will use its value when if the user parameter was not included in the URL. PROGRAMMERS GUIDE
Watch this space for future updates. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The libsmbclient manpage page was written by John H Terpstra. Samba 4.0 06/17/2014 LIBSMBCLIENT(7)