Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy directory tree with files Post 302483795 by citaylor on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 12:49:00 PM
Old 12-28-2010
Code:
tar -C /dir1 -cf  - . | ( cd /dir2 ; tar -xpf - )

This User Gave Thanks to citaylor For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from fileList.txt, copy files from directory tree

Hi, hopefully this is a fairly simple Q&A. I have a clean file list of approximately 180 filenames with no directory or slashes in front of the filename nor any extension or dot ".". I would like to read from this list, find these files recursively down through directory trees, copy the files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively copy only specific files from a directory tree

Hi I am a shell-script newbie and am looking to synchronize certain files in two directory structures. Both these directory-trees are in CVS and so I dont want the CVS directory to be copied over. I want only .sh and .pl files in each subdirectory under these directory trees to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharpsharkrocks
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move all files in a directory tree to a signal directory?

Is this possible? Let me know If I need specify further on what I am trying to do- I just want to spare you the boring details of my personal file management. Thanks in advance- Brian- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy a tree of directory

Mi question is how can you copy only de three of directory and not the files in it. Only a need the three of directorys not the files (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a whole directory tree WITH files inside?

Assume I want to remove a whole directory tree beginning with /foo/bar/ The directory or sub-directories may contain files. The top directory /foo/bar/ itself should not be deleted. rm -f- r /foo/bar does not work because it requires a directory tree without files. How does it work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files in directory tree by date

I'm using a directory naming convention to organize files as exemplified here: 2012/Aug/week-20-Aug/23-Thu/tuv.txt 2012/Aug/week-27-Aug/30-Thu/abc.txt 2012/Sep/week-27-Aug/01-Sat/def.txt 2012/Sep/week-03-Sep/07-Fri/xyz.txt How do I write a command that will list the file names abc.txt and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy real file from a shortcut preserving the time stamps and directory tree

I have directory with shorcuts of files. for example: gara@yn\short\name1 ( shortcut to gara@yn\FOLDER\OPT\GARA\1.jpg ) gara@yn\short\name2 ( shortcut to gara@yn\FOLDER\OPT\GARA\11.jpg ) gara@yn\short\name3 ( shortcut to gara@yn\MARA\URSA\2.jpg ) gara@yn\short\name4 ( shortcut to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogok_bg
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to build directory tree and files

Hi all, I'm trying at the moment to write a shell script to build a directory tree and create files within the built directories. I've scoured through sites and text books and I just can't figure out how to go about it. I would assume that I need to use loops of some sort, but I can't seem... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Libertad
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files with specific extension in directory tree

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but a search didn't turn up a definitive best method for this (if there ever is such a thing). I have been using rsync to back up my main data directory, but I have accumulated a large number of older backups that I don't need. All of the files I don't... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Directory Tree from one Server to Another

Hi, I have a serverA with Directory "/opt/app/myfiles" which is 8.5GB with more than 40000 files and 45 folders in it. I wish to transfer the folder "/opt/app/myfiles" tree structure with all the sub-directories and skip all files to another serverB. I would appreciate a command that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)