Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can grep command return word instead of complete line Post 302483642 by dashing201 on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 02:11:04 AM
Old 12-28-2010
Hi R0H0N

Thanks for the quick reply.
However the command
is not returning any row.

HTML Code:
echo 'Hi I am NitinrajSrivastava' | sed -n 's/ \([a-zA-Z]*raj[a-zA-Z]*\) /\1,/g'
</span>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls -R command but need complete path name on each line

Can anyone help me with the following: I need to traverse subdirectories to create a list of files with the pathname. For example, here's what I get with a simple ls -alR command: /MAIN/data/30007390 dte2>>ls -alR .: total 2 drwxrwx--- 4 ecfadmin staff 96 Oct 24 18:35 . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: condor4-2
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep for a line then return lines above

Hey guys, I just want to grep for a line then return a few lines above it I can't seem to find what im looking for on google can someone help me out? This is on Solaris 9..... I don't have GNU grep so -B and -A commands will not work (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the Esc key to complete command line typing

Dear Techs, In the past on a different box (HP) I use to be able to complete something I was typing by entering a portion of the filename in the pwd and I would hit the Esc key and it would match the rest of the filename. I did this without understanding how it was setup. Now I am on a new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to move word by word on command line

Hey All, On commad promt of a shell.. How can we move our cursor word by word. Like Ctrl+A takes to the starting of the command... Any shortcut like that..? Thanks pbsrinivas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete a word and complete line

Hi Canone please provide me solution how can achieve the result below: File1.txt $ sweet appleŁ1 scotish green $ This is a test1 $ sweet mangoŁ2 asia yellow $ This is a test 2 $ sweet apple red (there is no pound symbol here) germany green (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aejaz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep return more than one line

Hi, I have a lot of log files which contain lines in the format of (date info) or (info), and when I use grep to search for "date" I was able to get the (date info) line, but some info lines are a separate line after the (date info) line... for example like: (date info info info) (date... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: a27wang
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to grep a word and print the whole line splitted into many

Hi, I need to search a word in the java file. Assume the line in the java file is, (the line was splitted into 3 lines) 1.operationContext.sendFeedback(2.FeedbackType.ERROR, null, "Input is empty.", "Input Details: pr 3.ovide Valid pair(s): "+pairType); When i grep for the word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tulasiram
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Show complete command on command line when we use 'ps'

Hi, When I query using ps -ef, the complete command is not displayed and is truncated. Can you please tell me a method to resolve this ? I have tried the below. ps -ef | cat ps -ef | grep imp >/tmp/t1.txt /usr/ucb/ps -auxw pargs <pid> /usr/ucb/ps -aefyl | grep imp Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk1216
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in search for word and return line

Hi, I have this file format and can't seem to think of a solution. I need your help. I want to return lines which says "Record" if it's ID > 0 file.txt Record 1: :::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::: ID "000001" :::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command is not search the complete pattern

I am facing a problem while using the grep command in shell script. Actually I have one file (PCF_STARHUB_20130625_1) which contain below records. SH_5.55916.00.00.100029_20130601_0001_NUC.csv.gz|438|3556691115 SH_5.55916.00.00.100029_20130601_0001_Summary.csv.gz|275|3919504621 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit.vedi1988
2 Replies
GZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 GZGREP(1)

NAME
gzgrep, gzegrep, gzfgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
gzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
gzgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If gzgrep is invoked as gzegrep or gzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, gzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep gzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; gzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzmore(1), gznew(1), gzforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZGREP(1)