Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ubuntu weird problems
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu ubuntu weird problems Post 302483532 by DGPickett on Monday 27th of December 2010 03:43:26 PM
Old 12-27-2010
It sounds like something helpful modified your environment files, and you do not have the right $PATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, probably within:
/etc/profile, /etc/bash.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/.profile, ~/.kshrc

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Would like to install x86 desktop Ubuntu over AMD64 Ubuntu server

My intention was to build a dual boot XP Pro 64 and Ubuntu media server. I had installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu 8.10 server and thought that I would be able to install Apache server. I need a GUI to work in. I tried to boot and install Mythbuntu 32 bit 8.10, but my machine now won't recognize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docflyboy
0 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Ubuntu / Ubuntu File Manager / Config

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome 2.28. I use the default Nautilus File Manager to view / manage files. Is there a way to add icons or customize the icons that are above the location bar and below the menus? There is a bar that has icons for "Back" "Forward" "Parent" above the location bar. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewk
6 Replies

3. Ubuntu

[UBUNTU] mount.nfs fails in Ubuntu / Works on Red Hat!!!

Gurus, I want log in locally to my Lucid (10.04) workstation and have my code saved over the network on my samba account At work, all developers have samba user ids and when we were running Red Hat, we went thru the following procedure to get setup. * open a shell session to NFS server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Problems after upgrade to ubuntu 11.04

We had Ubuntu Server 10.10, after upgrade to Ubuntu Server 11.04 some applications doesn't works by example "Printing" on "Sysmte- Administration" and User Administration GUI, how can I fix it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmejias
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Firewall problems on my ubuntu gw

Hi, I make an ubuntu based gateway with dns, dhcp, proxy and a firewall. The problem is with the firewall, a classroom is connected to gw.eth1 with private ip 17.18.43.XX and gw.eth0 with public ip 134.201.34.XX is connected to internet trought 134.201.3.1 and others server like LDAP on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: falafel
0 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Re-install Ubuntu 14.04 from system with Ubuntu on it

I need to re-install ubuntu on a system with ubuntu 14.04 already installed. I have the cd but can not seem to boot from it or find the installer. Is there a way to re-install from the command line or how do I do a fresh re-install? Thank you :) ---------- Post updated at 10:13 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Problems with Ubuntu installation

I recently bought a new HP Spectre x360 laptop and installed Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit) for the first time. I am seeing various bugs. I don't know if the problems are due to: (a) Hardware problems with the new laptop. (b) Software issues, i.e. Ubuntu not working with the other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twelth_hour
1 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)