Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk to count occurences
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk to count occurences Post 302483504 by m.d.ludwig on Monday 27th of December 2010 11:21:08 AM
Old 12-27-2010
Not to cause trouble :-) but while the example code works for the example file, it has four errors -- nothing is printed if $2 is "0", if the line is unique, or the last line is unique; nor is the number of sequences displayed. May I suggest:
Code:
$2 == p { c++; next; }
p != "" && c { print p, c; }
{ p = $2 ; c = 1; n[p]++; }
END {
  if (p != "") print p, c;
  print "==============";
  for (p in n) print p, n[p];
}

Last edited by Scott; 12-27-2010 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags
This User Gave Thanks to m.d.ludwig For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Count occurences

I have enclosed the script. I am able to find the files that contain my search string but when I try to count the occurences within the file I get zero always. Any help on this. #!/usr/bin/perl my $find = $ARGV; my $replace = $ARGV; my $glob = $ARGV; @filelist = <*$glob>; # process each... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: TimHortons
22 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to count the number of occurences of a column value

im trying to count the number of occurences of column 2 value(starting from KKK*) of the below file, file.txt using the code cat file.txt | awk ' BEGIN { print "Category Counts"} {FS=","} {NR > 2} { cats = cats + 1} END { for(c in cats) { print c, "=", cats} } ' but its returning as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurences of string

Hi, Please help me in finding the number of occurences of the string. Example: Apple, green, blue, Apple, Orange, green, blue are the strings can be even in the next line. The o/p should look as: Word Count ----- ----- Apple 2 green 2 Orange 1 blue 2 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc888
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count pattern occurences

hi, I have a text..and i need to find a pattern in the text and count to the no of times the pattern occured. i have used grep command ..but the problem is , it shows the occurrences of the pattern but doesn't count no of times the pattern occuries. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvnni
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurences based on interval

Hi, I have a file which has 4500 entries 10000 9880 9800 8700 8200 ... ..... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 50 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Diya123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences using awk

Hi Guys, I have 2 files like below file1 xx yy file2 b yy b2 xx c1 yy xx yy Now I want an idea which can count occurences of text from file1 and file2 so outbout would be kind of (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk count occurences

line number:status, market, keystation 1,SENT,EBS,1 : 1 2,DONE,REU,1 : 1 3,SENT,EBS,2 : 1 4,DONE,EBS,1 : 0 5,SENT,EBS,2 : 0 6,SENT,EBS,2 : 0 7,SENT,EBS,2 : 0 8,SENT,EBS,1 : 1 for each status, market combination I want to keep a tally of active orders. i.e if an order is SENT, then +1, if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved]awk count occurences in time window

Input File Time, KeyStation 00:00:00,000;KS_1 00:00:01,000;KS_1 00:00:02,000;KS_1 00:00:03,000;KS_1 00:00:04,000;KS_1 00:00:05,000;KS_1 00:00:06,000;KS_1 00:01:01,000;KS_1 00:01:02,000;KS_1 00:01:03,000;KS_1 00:01:04,000;KS_1 00:01:05,000;KS_1 00:01:06,000;KS_1 01:00:01,000;KS_1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the occurences of strings

I have some text files in a folder f1 with 10 columns. The first five columns of a file are shown below. aab abb 263-455 263 455 aab abb 263-455 263 455 aab abb 263-455 263 455 bbb abb 26-455 26 455 bbb abb 26-455 26 455 bbb aka 264-266 264 266 bga bga 230-232 230 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomez
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count occurences of the word without it repeating

Hi, I would like to count the number of ALA occurences without having them to be repeated. In the script I have written now it has 40 repetitions of ALA but it has to be 8. ALA is chosen as one of the 20 values it can have when the script asks for the input of AAA, which for this example is chosen... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aurimas
7 Replies
PSERVER(1)							      pserver								PSERVER(1)

NAME
pserver - NetWare print server SYNOPSIS
pserver [ -S server ] [ -h ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ -q queue name ] [ -c command ] [ -j job type ] [ -t timeout ] [ -d ] DESCRIPTION
pserver is a program that connects to print queues on NetWare servers and feeds incoming print jobs to the Linux printing system. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the print server name at the server. -P password password is the password to use for the print server at the server. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, pserver prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if the print server does not require a password. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -q queue name queue name is the name of the print queue you want to service. -c command When a job is received from the print queue, pserver forks off a new process, and feeds the job file to stdin. command is the printing command that is executed for each job. The default command is 'lpr'. You can insert several flags into the command, preceded by %. These are replaced with values retrieved from the queue structure for the print job. %u: This field will be replaced by the name of the user who posted this print job. %d: This field will be replaced by the job description field of this print job. -j job type Each job in a NetWare print queue has a job type. For print jobs, this corresponds to the number of the form the job should be printed on. You can tell pserver that it should only receive jobs for one specific form from the queue. The default is -1, which means that everything is received. -t timeout Pserver is not informed by NetWare servers when new jobs arrive. So a polling scheme has to be used. When there are no jobs to service, timeout tells pserver how long to wait between two requests. The default is 30 seconds. When a job is finished, pserver asks the NetWare server immediately for a new job, and does not wait timeout seconds. -d Normally, pserver daemonizes itself. -d tells it not to do so. This is useful if you want to see the diagnostic messages that are printed when a error occurs. SEE ALSO
nwclient(5), slist(1), pqlist(1), ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8) CREDITS
pserver was written by Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) pserver 10/22/1996 PSERVER(1)