Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Locate command
Operating Systems AIX Locate command Post 302483474 by enux on Monday 27th of December 2010 09:11:45 AM
Old 12-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanwang77
Hi Enux,

You can have a try using:

# whereis filename

fast and easy!
Hi allanwang77,

man whereis says: "The whereis command locates the source, binary, and manuals sections for specified files"

but I want also to search different kind of text/conf files not only executables.

---------- Post updated at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmaus
Hi,

it was part of the findutils rpm in linux toolbox for applications (at least in AIX 5.3) ... not sure if it still is in there - you could just try?

Regards
zxmaus
Hi zxmaus,
I think I'll give it a try, findutils says that it includes:
- find - search for files in a directory hierarchy
- locate - list files in databases that match a pattern
- updatedb - update a file name database
- xargs - build and execute command lines from standard input

what about the find/xargs executables that are running on the system, are they replaced when installing findutils?

BR

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not able to locate SSH

In our unix environment I'm not able to locate where ssh is located. can any one guide me in finding the location of this tool. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Equivalent to locate

Does Solaris 10 have an equivalent to FreeBSD's `locate'? If not, what is the best way to search for files (allowing regexp) throughout the system? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Russell
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command locate.

Hi, I am aware of the command locate/slocate. But when I try to search the file which is located in /tmp. Its not able to get it. I tried by updating the database also with the command updatedb. Is there any consern that the command 'locate' dont check /tmp??? And I knew that locate is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

locate command doubt !!!

Hello, I want to search for a file/directory named "abc" which is located anywhere in the given unix system. I am using the command :- But the problem is that this is giving me all combinations of files with have 'abc' in their name. But can I know the option to be used to get the location... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

Locate command in HP-UX and Solaris

Previously i worked on linux now i am working on HP-UX and solaris ... I am not able to use Locate command(command not found) in HP-Ux and solaris. Suggest me some options to use locate (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locate command in encrypted home

Hi! I have some files that I want to locate using the locate command in terminal, but my home folder is encrypted using FileVault from Mac OS X 10.6. Any idea how can I locate them, being my home encrypted? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirwit
8 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

locate command alternative,,

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Ok, Im back with another small problem. I created a script (the one posted in the last thread). After some help from some members here all is good. The problem is I made it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozman911
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usage of locate

Hi The locate command searches the pattern in all the directories. How can i make it look in for a specific directory because i know the directory in which the file exists. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2002anand
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC

my os details as follow bash-3.2$ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga) I run the following and encounter the following error bash-3.2$ mysqlhotcopy -? Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Locate command not working

HI when ever i type the locate command it is saying like below warning: locate: warning: database /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db' is more than 8 days old i am using Linux . version is as follows... $ uname -a Linux abc.abc.com 2.6.9-89.35.1.ELhugemem #1 SMP Tue Jan 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
3 Replies
whereis(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					       whereis(1B)

NAME
whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/whereis [-bmsu] [-BMS directory... -f] filename... DESCRIPTION
The whereis utility locates source/binary and manuals sections for specified files. The supplied names are first stripped of leading path- name components and any (single) trailing extension of the form .ext, for example, .c. Prefixes of s. resulting from use of source code control are also dealt with. whereis then attempts to locate the desired program in a list of standard places: etc /sbin /usr/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/ccs/lib /usr/lang /usr/lbin /usr/lib /usr/sbin /usr/ucb /usr/ucblib /usr/ucbinclude /usr/games /usr/local /usr/local/bin /usr/new /usr/old /usr/hosts /usr/include /usr/etc OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Searches only for binaries. -B Changes or otherwise limits the places where whereis searches for binaries. -f Terminates the last directory list and signals the start of file names, and must be used when any of the -B, -M, or -S options are used. -m Searches only for manual sections. -M Changes or otherwise limits the places where whereis searches for manual sections. -s Searches only for sources. -S Changes or otherwise limit the places where whereis searches for sources. -u Searches for unusual entries. A file is said to be unusual if it does not have one entry of each requested type. Thus `whereis -m -u *' asks for those files in the current directory which have no documentation. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Finding files Find all files in /usr/bin which are not documented in /usr/share/man/man1 with source in /usr/src/cmd: example% cd /usr/ucb example% whereis -u -M /usr/share/man/man1 -S /usr/src/cmd -f * FILES
o /usr/src/* o /usr/{doc,man}/* o /etc, /usr/{lib,bin,ucb,old,new,local} ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chdir(2), attributes(5) BUGS
Since whereis uses chdir(2) to run faster, pathnames given with the -M, -S, or -B must be full; that is, they must begin with a `/'. SunOS 5.11 10 Jan 2000 whereis(1B)