Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to see special characters? Post 302483457 by gvj on Monday 27th of December 2010 07:27:43 AM
Old 12-27-2010
How to see special characters?

Hi all,
I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unescaping special characters

how do i unescape special characters in Unix. Suppose i've a file named -xyz.txt, how do I remove the file. Ofcourse Icant give rm -xyz.txt thats not gonna work. We can go in regular expression like this ls | grep -e '-'xyz.txt | rm; but I'd like to know any simpler way than this. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram_r
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED with Special characters

Hello All Seeking the right one SED command. My attempt is: From orginal.txt by SED to target.txt sed -i "/('outbound-callerid/a\$ext->add($context, $exten, '', new ext_SipAddHeader('P-Preferred-Identity', '<sip:${CALLERID(nummer)}@carrier.com>'));" orginal.txtWhat am make wrong?:wall: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdbinder
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters

I have a line ending with special character and 0 The special character is the field separator for this line in VI mode the file will look like below, but while cat the special character wont display i know the hexa code for the special character ^_ is \x1f and ascii code is \0037, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with special Characters

Need Help For GREP I have a file say g1.txt and content of file is below REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoDrives /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f , REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoClose /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f ,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalpasoni
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with special characters....

grep -i "$line,$opline" COMBO_JUNK|awk -F, ' { C4+=$4 } { } END { print C4 } ' OFS=,` when i run this command in the script.... it o/p all the value as 0 if $line contains any special parameters..... but the same script if i run in command prompt... it shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
4 Replies
WALL(1) 							   User Commands							   WALL(1)

NAME
wall - write a message to all users SYNOPSIS
wall [-n] [-t timeout] [-g group] [message | file] DESCRIPTION
wall displays a message, or the contents of a file, or otherwise its standard input, on the terminals of all currently logged in users. The command will wrap lines that are longer than 79 characters. Short lines are whitespace padded to have 79 characters. The command will always put a carriage return and new line at the end of each line. Only the superuser can write on the terminals of users who have chosen to deny messages or are using a program which automatically denies messages. Reading from a file is refused when the invoker is not superuser and the program is set-user-ID or set-group-ID. OPTIONS
-n, --nobanner Suppress the banner. -t, --timeout timeout Abandon the write attempt to the terminals after timeout seconds. This timeout must be a positive integer. The default value is 300 seconds, which is a legacy from the time when people ran terminals over modem lines. -g, --group group Limit printing message to members of group defined as a group argument. The argument can be group name or GID. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
Some sessions, such as wdm, that have in the beginning of utmp(5) ut_type data a ':' character will not get the message from wall. This is done to avoid write errors. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), write(1), shutdown(8) HISTORY
A wall command appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The wall command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux August 2013 WALL(1)