Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting NAWK to remove lines that matches a specific pattern Post 302483044 by anurag.singh on Thursday 23rd of December 2010 11:14:01 AM
Old 12-23-2010
If file1 is in variable file1_name and file2 is in variable file2_name
Code:
awk '/^abc/{print > file1; next}1' file1=$file1_name inputfile > $file2_name

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to select lines in unix matches a pattern at a particular position

I have huge file. I want to copy the lines which have first character as 2 or 7, and also which has fist two characters as 90. I need only these records from file. How I can acheive this. Can somebody help me..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs_banda
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying lines of a file where the second field matches a pattern

Howdy. I know this is most likely possible using sed or awk or grep, most likely a combination of them together, but how would one go about running a grep like command on a file where you only try to match your pattern to the second field in a line, space delimited? Example: You are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove if the above line matches pattern

but keep if does not I have a file: --> my.out foo: bar foo: moo blarg i am on vacation foo: goose foo: lucy foo: moose foo: stucky groover@monkey.org foo: bozo grimace@gonzo.net dear sir - blargo blargo foo: goon foo: sloppy foo: saudi gimme gimme gimme (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines from one file if pattern matches

I have one comma separated file (a.txt) with two or more records all matching except for the last column. I would like to merge all matching lines into one and consolidate the last column, separated by ":". Does anyone know of a way to do this easily? I've searched the forum but most talked... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines if pattern matches in ksh

I have a file like this. Pls help me to solve this . (I should look for only Message : 111 and need to print the start time to end time Need to ignore other type of messages. Ex: if first message is 111 and second message is 000 or anything else then ignore the 2nd one and print start time of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnjx
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to sum specific field when pattern matches

Trying to sum field #6 when field #2 matches string as follows: Input data: 2010-09-18-20.24.44.206117 UOWEXEC db2bp DB2XYZ hostname 1 2010-09-18-20.24.44.206117 UOWWAIT db2bp DB2XYZ hostname ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove contents including the tag if pattern matches

Hi all, Can anyone help me on this. I have several WP sites that are affected by sql injections. But the contents are different as follows western union india belgaum western union india bolegaon western union india barhaj western union india budhana western union india belda western... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjuabraham
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove entire line from a file if 1st column matches a pattern

I have one requirement to delete all lines from a file if it matches below scenario. File contains three column. Employee Number, Employee Name and Employee ID Scenario is: delete all line if Employee Number (1st column) contains below 1. Non-numeric Employee Number 2. Employee Number that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines in file if specific field matches

I am trying to remove lines in the target.txt file if $5 before the - in that file matches sorted_list. I have tried grep and awk. Thank you :). grep grep -v -F -f targets.bed sort_list grep -vFf sort_list targets awk awk -F, ' > FILENAME == ARGV {to_remove=1; next} > ! ($5 in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
switch(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 switch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
switch - Evaluate one of several scripts, depending on a given value SYNOPSIS
switch ?options? string pattern body ?pattern body ...? switch ?options? string {pattern body ?pattern body ...?} _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The switch command matches its string argument against each of the pattern arguments in order. As soon as it finds a pattern that matches string it evaluates the following body argument by passing it recursively to the Tcl interpreter and returns the result of that evaluation. If the last pattern argument is default then it matches anything. If no pattern argument matches string and no default is given, then the switch command returns an empty string. If the initial arguments to switch start with - then they are treated as options. The following options are currently supported: -exact Use exact matching when comparing string to a pattern. This is the default. -glob When matching string to the patterns, use glob-style matching (i.e. the same as implemented by the string match command). -regexp When matching string to the patterns, use regular expression matching (as described in the re_syntax reference page). -- Marks the end of options. The argument following this one will be treated as string even if it starts with a -. Two syntaxes are provided for the pattern and body arguments. The first uses a separate argument for each of the patterns and commands; this form is convenient if substitutions are desired on some of the patterns or commands. The second form places all of the patterns and commands together into a single argument; the argument must have proper list structure, with the elements of the list being the patterns and commands. The second form makes it easy to construct multi-line switch commands, since the braces around the whole list make it unnec- essary to include a backslash at the end of each line. Since the pattern arguments are in braces in the second form, no command or vari- able substitutions are performed on them; this makes the behavior of the second form different than the first form in some cases. If a body is specified as ``-'' it means that the body for the next pattern should also be used as the body for this pattern (if the next pattern also has a body of ``-'' then the body after that is used, and so on). This feature makes it possible to share a single body among several patterns. Beware of how you place comments in switch commands. Comments should only be placed inside the execution body of one of the patterns, and not intermingled with the patterns. Below are some examples of switch commands: switch abc a - b {format 1} abc {format 2} default {format 3} will return 2, switch -regexp aaab { ^a.*b$ - b {format 1} a* {format 2} default {format 3} } will return 1, and switch xyz { a - b { # Correct Comment Placement format 1 } a* {format 2} default {format 3} } will return 3. SEE ALSO
for(n), if(n), regexp(n) KEYWORDS
switch, match, regular expression Tcl 7.0 switch(n)