Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users need help adding network printer on SVR4 Post 302482716 by vbe on Wednesday 22nd of December 2010 10:42:13 AM
Old 12-22-2010
Well in those days except HP (and those using hpnp jetdirect and its protocole...) I dont think you had network printers you had either printers connected to the boxes or you had remote printers (understand connected to a remote host...) a jetdirect card can act "as" a remote host I suppose ( I have not tried with jetdirects but did with xerox 4240...) so you can declare the printer as remote printer connected to the host=jetdirect IP address...
You may have another alternative using samba (for shred printers....) or CUPS

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adding printer in unix

Hello guys... can anybody please tell me how to add a printer in unix environment? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bong m
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a network printer

I recently added an HP deskjet printer to our Solaris network. I deleted the old printer which this one is replacing. I did everything in Printer Admin. I could think of. The problem now is that when I go to print something out of Star Office, my new printer is not a valid choice from the drop... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awells
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a Printer

Could someone please tell me how to add a printer to UNIX, I've got all the detail but are not sure how to do it ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kuselo
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Help adding a printer queue

Hello, I need some help on the following issue: Need to have a printer queue added to the "sssssss" server.The IP address is "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". It is an HP8000 printer. Can you please point me to the right direction. Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AQG
0 Replies

5. AIX

Adding New HP Printer Drivers

I am using AIX ver 5.2 and would like to add an hp3050 printer, which is not one of the printers listed on our system in the add a new print queue section of smit. I thought that I had found the correct driver on the hp website, but now it appears as that may only be for hp or solaris systems. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DavidG9975
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX adding printer

When adding a remote printer to my HP-UX system, it creates a file in /var/spool/lp/sinterface/printer-name inside it has #!/usr/bin/sh # /* @(#)B.11.11_LR */ # This model is for remote status operation. /usr/sbin/rlpstat $* Is there a way when I add this printer to have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nixie21
1 Replies

7. AIX

Adding Dotmatrix Printer on AIX

Hello, How can I add epson printer LQ 2180 on AIX. I tried searching for AIX Drivers on EPSON LQ 2180 webpage but did't find any. Anyone know how can I add a dotmatrix printer on AIX ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a printer to openSolaris 11

I'm learning Unix - and have installed OpenSolaris 11 under VMWare running on Ubuntu. My challenge now is to get printing working. Used CUPS to install the HP printer and driver... but it won't print. The status display is Unable to open device file "/dev/cua/a": Permission denied Assistance... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stansaraczewski
8 Replies
cupsctl(8)							    Apple Inc.								cupsctl(8)

NAME
cupsctl - configure cupsd.conf options SYNOPSIS
cupsctl [ -E ] [-U username ] [ -h server[:port] ] [ --[no-]debug-logging ] [ --[no-]remote-admin ] [ --[no-]remote-any ] [ --[no-]remote- printers ] [ --[no-]share-printers ] [ --[no-]user-cancel-any ] [ name=value ] DESCRIPTION
cupsctl updates or queries the cupsd.conf file for a server. When no changes are requested, the current configuration values are written to the standard output in the format "name=value", one per line. OPTIONS
The following options are recognized: -E Enables encryption on the connection to the scheduler. -U username Specifies an alternate username to use when authenticating with the scheduler. -h server[:port] Specifies the server address. --[no-]debug-logging Enables or disables debug logging in the error_log file. --[no-]remote-admin Enables or disables remote administration. --[no-]remote-any Enables or disables printing from any address, e.g. the Internet. --[no-]remote-printers Enables or disables the display of remote printers shared via the CUPS, LDAP, or SLP protocols. --[no-]share-printers Enables or disables sharing of local printers with other computers. --[no-]user-cancel-any Allows or prevents users from canceling jobs owned by others. EXAMPLES
Display the current settings: cupsctl Enable debug logging: cupsctl --debug-logging Get the current debug logging state: cupsctl | grep '^_debug_logging' | awk -F= '{print $2}' Disable printer sharing: cupsctl --no-shared-printers KNOWN ISSUES
You cannot set the Listen or Port directives using cupsctl. SEE ALSO
cupsd.conf(5), cupsd(8), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 12 December 2012 CUPS cupsctl(8)