Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help - sed - insert space between string of form XxxAxxBcx, without replacing the pattern Post 302482545 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 11:28:25 PM
Old 12-22-2010
This does it:
Code:
$ echo "QcfEfQfs" | sed 's/[A-Z]/ &/g'
 Qcf Ef Qfs

But can leave a space at the front, the version below uses another sed rule to trim a leading space:

Code:
$ echo "ElephantsGreatBigDirtyFeet" | sed 's/[A-Z]/ &/g;s/^ //'
Elephants Great Big Dirty Feet

And a little more complex again but preserves space in from of existing string (if present):
Code:
$ echo "EveryGoodBoyDeservesFruit" | sed 's/\([a-z]\)\([A-Z]\)/\1 \2/g'
Every Good Boy Deserves Fruit

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 12-22-2010 at 12:34 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed help on replacing space before and after *

I would like to replace the value of * (which might have one or more whitespace(s) before and after *) using sed command in aix. Eg: Var='Hi I am there * Desired output: Hi I am there* (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a string with a space

I'm trying to replace a string "99999999'" with the blank where ever is there in the file. Could you please help in unix scripting. Thank You. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsairam
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space between characters using sed

Input: Youcaneasilydothisbyhighlightingyourcode. Putting space after three characters. You can eas ily dot his byh igh lig hti ngy our cod e. How can i do this using sed? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - replacing 6th comma with a space

Hi, How can I replace the 6th comma on each line (of a csv) with a space? Any online tutorials with plenty of examples using sed would be very useful. Alex (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed help - convert a string of form ABC_DEF_GHI to AbcDefGhi

How can covert a string of form ABC_DEF_GHI to AbcDefGhi using any online command such as sed etc. ? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert 1 space using the command sed

Hi I want to use sed to insert one space after the 10'th character in every line. The lines are on this format: 2012-01-1012:30:55|7323456|65432 2011-02-0313:11:06|1223|3456 ...... ...... Does anyone know sed well enough to acomplish this? If there is any other way around this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ic12
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert space in alphanumeric string

Hi everyone, I want help to insert space between digits and letters in a alphanumeric string. INPUT TRY234TER PHY1TYR EXPECTED OUTPUT TRY 234 TER PHY 1 TYR The lines always begin with the letters and the alphabets will be a three letter combination before and after the number. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaav06
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space or pattern between columns in a data file

I have a data file where three data sets are written in three columns. Can I increase the space between the columns without reading them? Also can I insert particular patterns, say comma between 1st and 2nd column and colon between 2nd and 3rd column? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing space with hyphen in a pattern.

I have a huge text file, about 52 GB. In the file, there are patterns like these: ] ] ] ]One can see that there is text within patterns such as and ], and I am only interested in ]. There is text before and after all these patterns too, for example, ''Anarchism''' is a ] that advocates ]... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space in a word using sed

Hi all, I have a file that looks like this- ----------------------------- . . ATOM 8 O2' U A 5 135.452 109.687 7.148 1.00 48.99 A16S ATOM 9 C1' U A 5 135.282 111.512 5.641 1.00 48.99 A16S ATOM 10 N1 U A 5 134.647 112.595 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asmi_g
2 Replies