Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Delay gnome shutdown/restart
Operating Systems Linux Delay gnome shutdown/restart Post 302482511 by pludi on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 06:34:15 PM
Old 12-21-2010
How is your background process started, and how do you signal it to log out? Maybe a service script in /etc/init.d (with appropriate entries in the required runlevel(s)) would solve your problem better than tinkering with shutdown.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delay in mv

Working on AIX 4.3 I have an active exe that accepts files for processing on our RS6000. Day to day i store these files in a secure place and at the end of the day I mv them one by one. After some reading and ofcourse trial and error i figured out that this helps... mv `ls -l |head -l | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buRst
2 Replies

2. Programming

Introducing Delay less then a second.

Hi, I have a doubt in introducing a delay in the programs. We know that we do have a sleep() function/api using which we can bring a delay in terms of seconds. A minimum delay can be atleast 1 second. Now I'm bothered about how to introduce a delay that is just less than a second. Like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Restart/Shutdown the Solaris from SC>

Hi Experts, I am running solris 9. Sun-Fire 880. How do i shutdowon the whole server using ALOM i.e sc> console. If the server is down or somehow hang How do i Restart from sc> //purple (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Shutdown to a Halt and restart

I've got critical patching this weekend on 6 HP UX machines, back to back and the customer has requested to shutdown, and halt the machines and to bring it up at a later period. The thing is the servers are located offshore and we are just the support team. I have a special login thru a console... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome

Hi I'm looking for scripts to backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delay with Wget

I have a list of URLs that I need to download in a file. I know I can use the -i option to load the URLs from the file, but how can I make Wget wait a couple secs between each URL download? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlopes
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop without a delay

Hi, I am trying to understand what would happen if ther is a loop without any delay like sleep statement, I feel that would add a lot of load onto the CPU. Trying to understand how the load is reduced by the introduction of sleep(). Thanks and regards Zulfi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulfi123786
3 Replies
dxshutdown(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     dxshutdown(8)

NAME
dxshutdown - Performs various types of automated system shutdown. SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dxshutdown OPTIONS
The dxshutdown command accepts all of the standard X Toolkit command-line options, which are documented in the OPTIONS section of the X(1X) reference page. DESCRIPTION
The Shutdown Manager application, dxshutdown, provides the system administrator with a graphical user interface for running user-specified scripts at shutdown time in addition to performing the following types of automated system shutdown: Halt (and restart console mode) Reboot Single-user mode shutdown Message-only shutdown Dependencies: None. You do not need to configure anything prior to running Shutdown Manager. You must be root to run Shutdown Manager. Shutdown Manager also lets the system administrator display one or more warning messages prior to system shutdown. The dxshutdown command uses the Tru64 UNIX shutdown command as an API, passing command-line arguments as specified by application defaults and user inputs. The Shutdown Manager also provides the following features, which the shutdown command does not provide: Selection of a preshutdown script to be executed prior to system shutdown Easy cancellation for a shutdown while the timed countdown is in progress Maintenance of an error- and-script output log under /var/adm/sysman/dxshutdown.log Saving and restoring user-selected shutdown options over multiple invocations of the Shutdown Manager application For additional information about the graphical user interface, see the online help volume, which is available from the Help button in the main window of the Shutdown Manager application. To start dxshutdown from the graphical user interface: Click on the Application Manager icon on the CDE front panel. Double click on the System_Admin application group icon. Double click on the Daily Admin application group icon. Double click on the Shutdown Manager appli- cation icon. EXAMPLES
To start Shutdown Manager from the command line, enter: dxshutdown To open the Shutdown Manager help volume from the command line, enter the following command: /usr/dt/bin/dthelpview -h /usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/DXshutdown.sdl FILES
Shutdown Manager executable Shutdown Manager log file Shutdown Manager help volume Shutdown Manager resource file (for option settings) SEE ALSO
Commands: fasthalt(8), halt(8), rc0(8), reboot(8), rwalld(8), shutdown(8), sync(8), X(1X) dxshutdown(8)