Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX HPUX 11.23 only - how to useradd with a password? Post 302482468 by nbh on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 02:56:29 PM
Old 12-21-2010
HPUX 11.23 only - how to useradd with a password?

On hpux 11.23, useradd does not support the -p

Looking for ideas to script-o-magically add an user with a password.

Ideally the password should be hashed in the script.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd

I work on some hp ux 11.00 Servers. i have to add an user. i use the useradd command like follows: useradd -u 72022 -g 71095 -c " comment " -d /PACKAGE_NAME/home/username -s /usr/bin/sh username The command returns with error 3. The manpage means value number 3: Invalid argument supplied to an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ortsvorsteher
6 Replies

2. HP-UX

root password in hpux 10.01 on apollo 715/50

Hi, I'm from Venezuela and my English is not so good, please be patient. I got a problem with the machine described above, I tried to to enter in "the apollo" my teacher asked me to do it, because it's a part of an asignment but nobody knows any count to work with it. First my teacher told me to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: telesnake45
1 Replies

3. Solaris

useradd

Hi, I need to add a new user who will only be able to access one single folder on my Solaris 9 system. Can this be achieved by using just useradd or do i need to fiddle with auth_attr table? TIA, Selma (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selma
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

useradd

Gurus, I need to add a user to all the machines. I need a script to do this. I did one but it does not allow me to su to root within a ssh session i open. It exists saying su: Sorry. Please let me know how i can do it. I do not have the freedom of using sudo either. Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setting password for user using useradd?

hi all i am writing a script to create user and group from the input given to script for eg. script needs to values 1. mode - 1 or 2 2. id - if mode is 1 then id should be 2 char like x1 / v1 / v2 if mode is 2 then id should be 1 char like x / v / e from these to values group is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd?

Hi Experts, when using useradd command, what are the necessary options/arguments to be included? Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

pwage-hpux-T for Trusted HPUX servers

I'm sharing this in case anybody needs it. Modified from the original solaris pwage script. This modified hpux script will check /etc/password file on hpux trusted systems search /tcb and grep the required u_succhg field. Calculate days to expiry and notify users via email. original solaris... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies

9. Solaris

useradd

I want to creat a 27 logins in solaris.Can anyone tell me how to write a script for that so that i create at a time for all 27 people. Thanks to guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
6 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
vipw(1M)																  vipw(1M)

NAME
vipw - edit the password file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
edits the password file while setting the appropriate locks, and does any necessary processing after the password file is unlocked. If the password file is already being edited, you will be told to try again later. The editor is used unless the environment variable indicates an alternate editor. performs a number of consistency checks on the password entry for and does not allow a password file with an incorrectly formatted root entry to be installed. To help reduce the possibility of leaving the system in an unbootable state, root's entry is not considered prop- erly formatted if it has a user ID that is not zero, or if it has a shell other than or Please refer to passwd(4) and the manual for further details of password file format. WARNINGS
An file that is not removed when a system crashes prevents further editing of the file using after the system is rebooted. is the standard lock used by all commands which knowingly modify Successful execution of is not sufficient for proper system operation. To help maintain consistency with other system databases, editing of the password file with is generally discouraged. Please use or to edit AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), passwd(1), sam(1M), useradd(1M), usermod(1M), userdel(1M), passwd(4). vipw(1M)