Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Execute a C program from Shell Post 302482431 by rmoncello on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 12:52:27 PM
Old 12-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn
I already mentioned this $! in post #8.

I have no idea why the O/P wants his script to sleep for 2 minutes and I'm not going to second guess it.

---------- Post updated at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:48 PM ----------

That hardly seems likely. $! stores the process ID of the last background job run.
Hi Scott!

I realize you first mentioned that in #8. I had been typing up #11 while you submitted that. The sleep was introduced by someone else in #2 where they were attempting to use a ps and grep pipe to get the PID. I don't believe that O/P really wants a sleep in there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent!! How to write a shell program to execute command to access internet?

hi, I am new ot unix. So, can i write a shell(c shell or korn shell) program to access internet? I mean if I run the program, it can access specified url and then copy the html to a file? Can anyone help me? And how can make the program runs every 1 hr? new comer (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firebirdonfire
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to execute this program?

Filesystem 1024-blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/hd4 32768 16016 52% 2271 14% / /dev/hd2 4587520 1889420 59% 37791 4% /usr /dev/hd9var 65536 12032 82% 518 4% /var /dev/hd3 819200 637832 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathyaac
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to open program and send/execute command in program

Hi, i want to write a script that executes a program (exec?) . this program then requires a filename as input. how do i give it this input in the script so the program will be complete run and close by the script. e.g. exec prog.exe program then asks for filename "enter filename:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuathan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

C program to execute shell script

Hi, Can anyone pls give a sample to execute a shell script from C program Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baigmd
2 Replies

5. Programming

C program to execute shell script

Hi, Can anyone give me a sample code to execute shell script from C program. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baigmd
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to execute program without using ./ or sh

Hi, I am a complete newbie for unix. I have just installed mysql on my MAC. I was wondering every time I wanted to use mysql I had to ./mysql or sh mysql everytime on /usr/local/bin/mysql/bin. How can I execute the mysql program without using ./ or sh. I chmod +x already. And what do I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noppanit
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to execute a unix shell script from a java program

Hi All, well , i am facing this problem.. i have tried a few sample codes but there isn't any solution . could anyone please give a sample code as of how to do this... Please see the below details...and read the details carefully. I have written some code, logic is 1)from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute C program in Current shell

Hello, I have a c program executable which I need to run inside a shell script. But the c program runs in a subshell because of which all the actions done by the c program is not available to the current shell. Is there any way to execute a C program binary executable in the current shell? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinverma
4 Replies

9. Ubuntu

I can't execute a C++ program, help!

My professor gave me a code with no errors. When I compile it's fine, it doesn't show any errors, but when I try to execute it shows this: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token '(' line 3: 'int main()' I searched through the Internet but I couldn't find any solution. Please!!!... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rosiiieee
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Program Does not execute

Hi there, When I am trying to execute any shell script. The shell script only execute line 1 and I notice that the rest o the program was not executed. Please advise. # bash +x vmscript-4.sh Even when I enter this command there is not output. sudo su cd /tmp cp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-m] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. -m When used with -o, will also omit any processes that have the same argv[0] and argv[1] as any explicitly omitted process ids. This can be used to avoid multiple shell scripts concurrently calling pidof returning each other's pids. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)