Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FILE structure - stdio.h
Top Forums Programming FILE structure - stdio.h Post 302481805 by nikunjbadjatya on Monday 20th of December 2010 01:45:32 AM
Old 12-20-2010
Here's my sample code.

Code:
#include<stdio.h>
#include<string.h>

int main()
{
int *i, j;
size_t n;
const char *buf;
unsigned char *t;
FILE *fp;

fp = fopen("test.txt", "r+" );

buf = "This is Test String , This is Test String\n" ;

//j = strlen(buf);
//j = strlen(fp->_p);

n = fwrite(buf, 1, 10, fp);

if( fp->_p )
        printf(" Its not null");

//i = (int *)memcpy((void *)t, (const void *)buf, (size_t)(10)) ;

j = (int)fp->_r ;
t = fp->_p ;
printf("j = %d , t = %x \n", j, t);

return 0;
}

This will give error with gcc:
Code:
fwrite_test.c: In function ‘main':
fwrite_test.c:22: error: ‘FILE' has no member named ‘_p'
fwrite_test.c:27: error: ‘FILE' has no member named ‘_r'
fwrite_test.c:28: error: ‘FILE' has no member named ‘_p'

But as I said, the FILE structure defined in stdio.h has all these members. !! How do these members get values.?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

2. Programming

Search attributes in one structure using the values from another structure

Hello Groups I am trying to find out ways of comparing a value from a 'c' structure to a value in another 'C' structure. the 'C' structure can be a List or liked list as it contains lot many records. if we loop it in both the structures it is going to consume time. I am looking for a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

3. Programming

compare XML/flat file with UNIX file system structure

Before i start doing something, I wanted to know whether the approach to compare XML file with UNIX file system structure. I have a pre-configured file(contains a list of paths to executables) and i need to check against the UNIX directory structure. what are the various approches should i use ? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

4. Programming

Atomic Read and Write with stdio

hi guys. can we use fread and fwrite with pipes to write data more than PIPE_BUF atomically since they lock FILE object until I/O operation finish? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
1 Replies

5. Programming

stdio.h vs unistd.h I/O

Hi guys. To work with physical files, sockets, pipes, ... which library is good? stdio or unistd stdio.h functions perform buffering and rationally should be better than unistd.h routines. but i am wondering why all UNIX programming books use unistd.h routines for almost all types of I/O... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Copy certain file types recursively while maintaining file structure on destination?

Hi guys, I have just been bothered by a fairly small issue for some time now. I am trying to search (using find -name) for some .jpg files recursively. This is a Redhat environment with bash. I get this job done though I need to copy ALL of them and put them in a separate folder BUT I also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
1 Replies

7. Programming

stdio.h not found on Solaris 11

Hi friends, I hope u r doing well. I have just installed Solaris 11, and it seems that solaris 11 doesn't come with all the packages, one has to do everything manually. I download gcc from sunfreeware.com and installed it. After setting up the path variable, I tried to compile the hello world... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
4 Replies

8. Solaris

fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory

Trying to compile a C program recievin this hello.c:1:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory gcc is installed on the system. echo $PATH /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/gcc/4.5/include/c++/4.5.2/tr1 root@Sol11swtb01:/media/NO NAME/Programming/C/Testing# cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
2 Replies

9. Programming

Ignoring the stdio.h file in a C file

I am facing a problem in the below given code. int main() { printf("\nHello Geeks\n\n") ; return 0 ; } In the above mentioned code i left including "#include ". And if i compile and execute this piece of code, the output is printed as expected. But "#include " being the most important... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj 89
7 Replies

10. Programming

C++ : is what the meaning of #include<stdio.h>?

Hello Guys, I'm new in programing line & just started from C++ programs but i don't know the meaning of #include<stdio.h> file....Guys tell me what's the working of this file in C++ program?? I'm confused... Title changed: Please use a descriptive subject text, and not C++?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggiwebsinfo
3 Replies
UNLOCKED_STDIO(3)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						 UNLOCKED_STDIO(3)

NAME
*_unlocked - non-locking stdio functions SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int getc_unlocked(FILE *stream); int getchar_unlocked(void); int putc_unlocked(int c, FILE *stream); int putchar_unlocked(int c); #define _BSD_SOURCE /* or _SVID_SOURCE or _GNU_SOURCE */ #include <stdio.h> void clearerr_unlocked(FILE *stream); int feof_unlocked(FILE *stream); int ferror_unlocked(FILE *stream); int fileno_unlocked(FILE *stream); int fflush_unlocked(FILE *stream); int fgetc_unlocked(FILE *stream); int fputc_unlocked(int c, FILE *stream); size_t fread_unlocked(void *ptr, size_t size, size_t n, FILE *stream); size_t fwrite_unlocked(const void *ptr, size_t size, size_t n, FILE *stream); #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> char *fgets_unlocked(char *s, int n, FILE *stream); int fputs_unlocked(const char *s, FILE *stream); #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <wchar.h> wint_t getwc_unlocked(FILE *stream); wint_t getwchar_unlocked(void); wint_t fgetwc_unlocked(FILE *stream); wint_t fputwc_unlocked(wchar_t wc, FILE *stream); wint_t putwc_unlocked(wchar_t wc, FILE *stream); wint_t putwchar_unlocked(wchar_t wc); wchar_t *fgetws_unlocked(wchar_t *ws, int n, FILE *stream); int fputws_unlocked(const wchar_t *ws, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
Each of these functions has the same behaviour as its counterpart without the `_unlocked' suffix, except that they do not use locking (they do not set locks themselves, and do not test for the presence of locks set by others) and hence are thread-unsafe. See flockfile(3). CONFORMING TO
The four functions getc_unlocked(), getchar_unlocked(), putc_unlocked(), putchar_unlocked() are in POSIX.1. The nonstandard *_unlocked() variants occur on a few Unix systems, and are available in recent glibc. They should probably not be used. SEE ALSO
flockfile(3) 2001-10-18 UNLOCKED_STDIO(3)