Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character. Post 302481784 by danmero on Sunday 19th of December 2010 11:41:09 PM
Old 12-20-2010
Code:
awk '{gsub(/[|]+/,"=")}1' file

Please learn to use [code] tags when you post code or sample data.
Thanks.
This User Gave Thanks to danmero For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurances of a character in a file

I want to find the number of occurences of a character in a file. How do i do it. Eg: $cat file1.txt Welcome to World of Unix. $ If i want to find the occurences of 'o' then I should be getting 3. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: replace single positional character given variables

I already have accomplished this task using sed and arrays, but since I get the variable using awk, I figured I'd ask this question and maybe I can get a cleaner solution using strictly awk.. I just can't quite grasp it in awk. Story: I'm automating the (re)configuration of network interfaces,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Shock
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to squeeze multiple pipe character '|' into single '|' using sed?

Hi, I am trying to convert multiple Unix pipe symbol or bar into single |. I have tried with the following sed statements, but, no success :(. I need it using sed only echo "sed 's/\|\+/\|/g' sed 's/*/\|/' sed 's/\|*/|/' sed -r 's/\|+/\|/' However, the below awk code is working fine.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first 3 occurances of a character in a file for each line

Hi all, I am very new to unix - ksh. I want to replace some characters in a file with some other, but only for first three occurances for each line. For eg: the first 3 occurances character ']' has to be replaced with ',' in each line. Please help. thanks Sreejith (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsreejithmenon
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a character and replace it with multiple lines

This is for AIX 6.1, I've a flat file and the format is like this DECLARE some statements; BEGIN some statements; END; I've to search BEGIN and replace it with the following 4 lines BEGIN For x in 1..1 LOOP BEGIN Similarly I've to search END and replace it with the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mukul Sharma
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replace certain character at specific place with related character

hello i have file with 100k records and each one has certain value that starts at 28th column and certain value that starts at 88th column e.g. 1st file <25>1234567 ..... <88> 8573785485 i have aditional file with values which are related to value that starts at 88th column of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell1520
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace single character w/awk given conditions

I have a file that looks like this: 14985 DPN verb PPa to spend. 12886 DPNDJN bay tree. 15686 DQ verb to observe 15656 KC ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to repeat a character in a field if it's a single character?

I have a csv dataset like this : C,rs18768 G,rs13785 GA,rs1065 G,rs1801279 T,rs9274407 A,rs730012 I'm thinking of use like awk, sed to covert the dataset to this format: (if it's two character, then keep the same) CC,rs18768 GG,rs13785 GA,rs1065 GG,rs1801279 TT,rs9274407... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('arevela','alpha'); $lvar = code2langvar('arevela',LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-04-12 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)