Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Unable to create a UDP client from thread? Post 302481760 by sehang on Sunday 19th of December 2010 09:42:40 PM
Old 12-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loic Domaigne
Hi,

The answer from fpmurphy is short, but up to the point. Let me explain a little bit; In a multi-threaded process, a signal handler process-wide, that is global to all threads. However, when the signal is delivered, the system library / kernel picks up a particular thread that shall run the handler. This might be any thread in the process.

In your particular example, you wish that the handler runs in the context of thread1, so that the recvfrom() gets interrupted. But, unless you force it too, the handler may run in the context of the main thread. In that case, nothing will happen. This is likely what you are experiencing.

The way to force the handler to run in the context of thread1 (or equivalently, we say the signal to be delivered to thread1) is using pthread_sigmask() as mentioned by fpmurphy. Please refer to example in the link provided above, to see how it works. Incidentally, this example was my first contribution to the SUSv3 standard; so if you have questions please feel free to ask Smilie

And finally, I would suggest to resort other strategies than alarm() & co. to implement a timeout on the receive operation if you're multi-threaded.

Cheers, Loïc.
Thanks, I will try it today.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unable to open thread

I am unable to open the mimesender thread. I get the following message when clicking on https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?p=33233#post33233 : (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

i want a UDP Client receiving program

Hi I want a UDP client receiving program. Here is the scenario. The client has to listen to the UDP server and has to acknowledge back on receiving data from the server. Can anyone help me out. regards, Nirmala (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nirmala
1 Replies

3. Programming

UDP socket - can both client and server recv and send

Hi, Am very new to socket programming. When we use UDP sockets to communicate between two processess, will both the client/server socket be able to send/recv ? meaning can sendto()/ recvfrom() be used on both server and client? It could be useful even if anybody provide some link on socket... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HOW to create UDP Concurrent Server

HI I want to create a UDP concurrent server can any one give the code for UDP concurrent server (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanikya
8 Replies

5. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

unable to post thread

Hello, I'd like to post a aix thread but I'm unable to. Please let me know why this is happening. Thanks.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sullivjp
1 Replies

6. Programming

UDP linux client and Windows server

Hi, I have a situation where i need to communicate a linux client with a windows server, I am using a UDP socket communication channel. I am able to send packets from my linux clients to the windows server but unable to receive any data packet from the server. Do i need to make any setting in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: John20
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

How to create a multi-chat server using UDP?

Hifriends I have a doubt . how to create a multi-chat server using UDP which can run on MAC systems.. Thank u in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babbu25
3 Replies

8. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Unable to post or reply thread after login

I am unable to post reply to a thread. Whenever I will reply to any post I get the message every time : The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters. Even though length of the message is more than required. for example I tried to post ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
3 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Unable to create new thread

Hi. I registered, but when trying to post, I get ... "Sorry, you do not have enough Bits to post a new thread" Google & Forum search showed some hits, but no solution. Please advide. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gehe
1 Replies
PCAP_BREAKLOOP(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PCAP_BREAKLOOP(3)

NAME
pcap_breakloop - force a pcap_dispatch() or pcap_loop() call to return SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> void pcap_breakloop(pcap_t *); DESCRIPTION
pcap_breakloop() sets a flag that will force pcap_dispatch() or pcap_loop() to return rather than looping; they will return the number of packets that have been processed so far, or -2 if no packets have been processed so far. This routine is safe to use inside a signal handler on UNIX or a console control handler on Windows, as it merely sets a flag that is checked within the loop. The flag is checked in loops reading packets from the OS - a signal by itself will not necessarily terminate those loops - as well as in loops processing a set of packets returned by the OS. Note that if you are catching signals on UNIX systems that support restarting system calls after a signal, and calling pcap_breakloop() in the signal handler, you must specify, when catching those signals, that system calls should NOT be restarted by that signal. Otherwise, if the signal interrupted a call reading packets in a live capture, when your signal handler returns after calling pcap_breakloop(), the call will be restarted, and the loop will not terminate until more packets arrive and the call completes. Note also that, in a multi-threaded application, if one thread is blocked in pcap_dispatch(), pcap_loop(), pcap_next(), or pcap_next_ex(), a call to pcap_breakloop() in a different thread will not unblock that thread; you will need to use whatever mechanism the OS provides for breaking a thread out of blocking calls in order to unblock the thread, such as thread cancellation in systems that support POSIX threads. Note that pcap_next() and pcap_next_ex() will, on some platforms, loop reading packets from the OS; that loop will not necessarily be ter- minated by a signal, so pcap_breakloop() should be used to terminate packet processing even if pcap_next() or pcap_next_ex() is being used. pcap_breakloop() does not guarantee that no further packets will be processed by pcap_dispatch() or pcap_loop() after it is called; at most one more packet might be processed. If -2 is returned from pcap_dispatch() or pcap_loop(), the flag is cleared, so a subsequent call will resume reading packets. If a posi- tive number is returned, the flag is not cleared, so a subsequent call will return -2 and clear the flag. SEE ALSO
pcap(3), pcap_loop(3), pcap_next_ex(3) 5 April 2008 PCAP_BREAKLOOP(3)