Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Which UNIX version for beginners Post 302481621 by KevinGB on Saturday 18th of December 2010 03:41:00 PM
Old 12-18-2010
Install a virtualization product such as VirtualBox or VMware Server, Free Virtualization Download for Virtual Server Consolidation on to Windows. You can then run Linux on a virtual machine inside a Window without having to dual boot. That will let you experiment with different Linux distros without having to mess about with dual booting.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which unix version...

I pulled out my old 386 from the garage and dusted it off, and now i want to install unix on it. The 386 however only has a 104mb HD, and has NO cd rom support. Which if any version of unix would best suite this box? Is installing with floppies my only option? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nefarious
8 Replies

2. Where do I download LINUX & UNIX?

What version of Unix do you use most often?

Just curious... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PxT
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

unix course for beginners

does anyone know of a course for unix beginners (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moose
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good unix "for lamers/beginners" book?

Im pretty new to unix, as you can probably tell. Anyway I want to get a book on unix and howto use it. I would like to get a book that goes from the very basics to the advanced things that unix can be used for, does anyone have any suggestions?? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadProfessor
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix version?

Hi, I am thinking of buying a computer to learn UNIX. I am familiar with windows but not UNIX. Can someone tell me which version of UNIX should I get installed in my new PC? And how do I start learning UNIX? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hana
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which version of UNIX I'm using?

Hello- I know it's UNIX-HP, but I don't know what version. Is there a command that tells me what version I'm running or a file that I need to open to get this information? Thanks, Nomaad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

UNIX for beginners

I am new to non Windows operating systems. Does anyone have advice on which UNIX OS vendor would be good for learning purposes. I was looking for a version of UNIX that runs on the Intel platform. Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase the software? Thank you. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmy113437
14 Replies

8. Solaris

Migrate unix version 8 to version 9

i have a program writing in PRO C which currently running in unix version 8 tie with oracle 8i, but in the future company gonna migrate this OS to version 9. Anything i have to prepare for my PRO C program to run in unix version 9? or anything would that impact my program couldn't run well? what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX for beginners

i'm just a beginner in unix environment- please help which book to read and which os to use!!! :confused: seriously i've no idea what is unix or how much capable it is!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gaurav singh
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX ebook for beginners

hi all, Can you suggest me a ebook for unix beginners. I am new to unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajasingam
2 Replies
installboot(1M)                                                                                                                    installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)