Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dual boot
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Dual boot Post 302481455 by jlliagre on Friday 17th of December 2010 03:01:40 PM
Old 12-17-2010
Yes, having the bios clock set to local time is a nonsense. I used to set something undocumented on the Windows registry a while ago but nowadays, ntp is "fixing" the clock at boot time so it is less of a problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot no more

Ok I had a windows and RH dual boot system and have now converted over completly to the linux system. How do I regain the other half of my drive? I cannot see it in the disk manager. what do I do to format so that i can mount it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot help...

Hi there! I have a laptop which I plan on installing a dual boot on with Windows and Linux. I have Windows 98 installed at the moment, and I also have a copy of Slackware 8. I talked to friend, and he said he had some problems installing a dual boot with linux on his laptop... So I just came... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satan404
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot Solaris 8

Greetings, I have learned much since joining the message board, but I was unable to locate any information concerning dual booting Solaris with Windows on a machine with standardized equipment. I have read on the sun.com page that it is possible and can even be pushed to the rear partition, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TStoddard
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XP/Linux dual boot

Does anyone have any idea how I can manage an XP/Linux dual boot (I want to use debian), I can't find anything about it on the internet! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XDC_Wolf
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual Boot on HP-UX

Hy all Does anyone have Info on how to make a dual boot HP UX 10-20 HP UX 11 on a server ? Thanks in advance Olivier (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

6. BSD

dual boot

I have recently installed free bsd on my windows xp laptop so that now it is a dual boot system. It worked fine for the first couple of days, but now whenever I try to boot into windows it hangs, giving the message WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys, bsd however, loads fine. I was wondering either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elfhat
3 Replies

7. Solaris

solaris dual boot

hi ;) So I have 2 HDD (SATA and ATA). On the SATA I've installed WindwosXP and now I want to install solaris 10 on the ATA disk. Is it possible if the ATA disk is primary to make dual boot ? thank you very much (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nocture
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Dual Boot XP Solaris

Does here know how to configure the Windows XP Boot loader to dual boot XP and Solaris 10? I installed Solaris after XP but it did not detect the XP installation, and I really can't reformat right now. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Super User
3 Replies

9. Linux

Dual-boot help

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a dual-boot machine with Linux (RH FC 5) and Unix (Solaris 10)? I currently have one OS (Linux RH FC 5) on one drive (master) and another OS (Unix - Solaris 10) on the other drive (slave). I am a little unsure of what to modify the grub.config file with,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trmn8r
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Do you dual-boot with other os

When I first started using Linux (Ubuntu) I decided to just do a full install. The PC I installed it on, was full of viruses and to be honest, I was never good handling them. So, I decided to just go for it and install. Anyways I got another computer recently, a much newer one and I decided to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
3 Replies
NTP(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    NTP(8)

NAME
ntp - query an ntp clock SYNOPSIS
ntp [-v] [-s] [-f] hosts... DESCRIPTION
ntp sends an ntp packet to the ntp daemon running on each of the given hosts. A daemon fills in fields of the ntp packet as per RFC-???? and sends the packet back. ntp then formats and prints the result on the standard output. The default output shows the delay, offset, and date in ctime() format. Options can reset the time of the local system clock. OPTIONS
-v Verbose output, showing the full contents of received ntp packets, plus caluclated offset, displacement, etc. -s Set system time-of-day clock. Will only happen if time offset is less than compiled-in constant WAYTOBIG (currently 1000 seconds). Will not happen if remote host is unsynchronized. -f Force setting system clock regardless of offset. Must be used with -s option. Still will not reset clock if remote system is unsynchronized. NTP RESULTS
The default output for each host looks like this: 128.8.10.1: delay:1.845207 offset:-0.358460 Mon Mar 20 08:05:44 1989 The verbose output for each host looks like this: Packet from: [128.8.10.1] Leap 0, version 1, mode Server, poll 6, precision -10 stratum 1 (WWVB) Synch Distance is 0000.1999 0.099991 Synch Dispersion is 0000.0000 0.000000 Reference Timestamp is a7bea6c3.88b40000 Tue Mar 7 14:06:43 1989 Originate Timestamp is a7bea6d7.d7e6e652 Tue Mar 7 14:07:03 1989 Receive Timestamp is a7bea6d7.cf1a0000 Tue Mar 7 14:07:03 1989 Transmit Timestamp is a7bea6d8.0ccc0000 Tue Mar 7 14:07:04 1989 Input Timestamp is a7bea6d8.1a77e5ea Tue Mar 7 14:07:04 1989 umd1: delay:0.019028 offset:-0.043890 Tue Mar 7 14:07:04 1989 The various fields are interpreted as follows: Packet from: [address] The address that this ntp packet was received from. Leap indicator: n The leap second indicator. Non-zero if there is to be a leap second added or subtracted at the new year. Status: n Stratum: n (source) The stratum of the clock in the NTP hierarchy, along with the source of the clock, either the name of a reference standard (such as WWVB or GOES) or the Internet address of the clock that this clock is derived from. Poll = n The desired poll rate of the peer. Precision = exponent (dec) The claimed precision of the clock, in seconds. Synchronizing Dist is ??? Synchronizing Dispersion is ??? The next five timestamps are given as NTP fixed-point values, in both hexadecimal and ctime(3). These are set either by this ntp process, or by the server we are quering. Reference Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string The last time the server clock was adjusted. (remote time) Originate Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp request was transmitted by us to the server. (local time) Receive Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp request was received at the server. (remote time) Transmit Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp response was transmitted by the server. (remote time) Input Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp response was received by us. (local time) hostname: delay:time offset:time The summary of the results of the query, giving the hostname of the responding clock (from the command line), the round-trip delay, and the offset between the two clocks (assuming symmetric round-trip times). BUGS
Using ntp with the current host will show inaccurate results. Probably a few others. Report bugs to Louis A. Mamokos (louie@trantor.umd.edu). SEE ALSO
RFC-???? Network Time Protocol(1), Dave Mills and ... ntpd(8), ntpdc(8) 30 July 1988 NTP(8)