Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Solaris Auditing: Newly specified events not being logged Post 302481224 by notreallyhere on Friday 17th of December 2010 02:41:35 AM
Old 12-17-2010
Solaris Auditing: Newly specified events not being logged

Hi all

I'm busy testing auditing on Solaris 10.

I am using the syslog plugin to get real time view of what's happening on the system. Initially I am only monitoring lo events. The audit_control file looked like this:

Code:
dir:/var/audit
flags:lo
minfree:20
naflags:lo
plugin:name=audit_syslog.so;p_flags=lo

I then wanted to add the the class, fd, as well. I did this as follows:

Code:
dir:/var/audit
flags:lo,fd
minfree:20
naflags:lo
plugin:name=audit_syslog.so;p_flags=lo,fd

I ran the command to reread the audit_control file:
Code:
audit -s

Also just, in case, I restarted the box using
Code:
init 6

I am however not seeing file delete events being tracked when I test it.

Is there something I am doing wrong? The documentation I have found is not helping me much in this regard. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris BSM and Auditing

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum so I am sorry if i posted this thread in the wrong place. I am currently trying to get BSM to work on solaris 10 by Logging few things for me. I need your help to complete this task please. this is the config of the audit files: audit_conto # Copyright... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: skywalker850i
18 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 9 Auditing

How do I setup audit to alert on write conditions for individual files? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dxs
3 Replies

3. AIX

Auditing events

Hi there, I want to enable auditing for the following events in a critical AIX UNIX server by editing the /etc/syslog.conf file: Authentication events (login success, login failure, logout) Privilege use events (change to another user etc.) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venksel
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Auditing in Sun Solaris environment

Hi All, I have a requirement to report us on changing a group of static files. Those are the binary files that run in Production every day. Due to the in sercure environment situations, I found many are indulging in there own changes to the binaries by doing some changes in the souce code. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris user auditing

Hello, I was wondering when Solaris auditing is enabled, If it is possible to keep track of users that are allowed to sudo to root. In other words, I would like to know which user did what on my Solaris box. (assumig that user can "sudo su -" ) Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niyazi
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Newly Compiled GCC 4.4.4 on Solaris sparc gives problem with -m32/-m64 flags

Hello experts, This issue has kept me busy all day long. It started off with openssl compilation which was giving linking error with following message: /usr/local/bin/ld: target elf32-sparc not found collect2: ld returned 1 exit status I tried every step possible thing that I could think... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_shanke
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris- How to scan newly attached NIC's

Hi folks, How can I scan newly attached network interfaces to server without reboot? Is there any command or something to scan without reboot. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Newly relabelled disc unable to initialize to Solaris 8 login - please help

We are having a problem with initializing Solaris 8 installed on a Sunblade 1500 after having cloned the hard disc. (The cloning process was done in a windows environment. Not a UNIX environment.) Immediately after the cloning process neither hard disc would boot until the format label... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: DR_RALT
10 Replies

9. Solaris

Could not logon to newly installed Solaris 11.2

Dear Solaris 11 experts, I can not logon to a newly installed Solaris 5.11 11.2 i86pc i386 i86pc just downloaded today, despite having entered username and password to be created. However, I cannot get on to this workstation after Solaris installation completion. Can you advice how to reset my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Exclude an specific directory for auditing in Solaris 10

Hello, Im glad to become a member of this forums, Im new on solaris and recentrly im introducing to use auditing service in that system. The need is, that I need how to exclude a directory to the audit service not audit it. And, a plus, I need of how to disable auditing the root user in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysh4ck
0 Replies
audit_binfile(5)					Standards, Environments, and Macros					  audit_binfile(5)

NAME
audit_binfile - generation of Solaris audit logs SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/security/audit_binfile.so DESCRIPTION
The audit_binfile plugin module for Solaris audit, /usr/lib/security/audit_binfile.so, writes binary audit data to files as configured in audit_control(4); it is the default plugin for the Solaris audit daemon auditd(1M). Its output is described by audit.log(4). The audit_binfile plugin is loaded by auditd if audit_control contains one or more lines defining audit directories by means of the dir: specification or if audit_control has a plugin: specification of name=audit_binfile.so. OBJECT ATTRIBUTES
The p_dir and p_minfree attributes are equivalent to the dir: and minfree: lines described in audit_control. If both the dir: line and the p_dir attribute are used, the plugin combines all directories into a single list with those specified by means of dir: at the front of the list. If both the minfree and the p_minfree attributes are given, the p_minfree value is used. EXAMPLES
The following directives cause audit_binfile.so to be loaded, specify the directories for writing audit logs, and specify the percentage of required free space per directory. flags: lo,ad,-fm naflags: lo,ad plugin: name=audit_binfile.so; p_minfree=20; p_dir=/etc/security/jedgar/eggplant, /etc/security/jedgar.aux/eggplant, /etc/security/global/eggplant ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
auditd(1M), audit_control(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 20 May 2003 audit_binfile(5)