Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Xterm configuration : how to copy/paste in the CLIPBOARD Post 302481114 by xib.be on Thursday 16th of December 2010 05:08:01 PM
Old 12-16-2010
In fact to launch xterm as a vt100 I tried:
Code:
xterm -ti vt100

because for me the main option to emulate vt100 is "-ti"
and indeed in the new terminal created I had:
Code:
echo $TERM
xterm

BUT after searching I saw that there was an option to modificate the termName :
Code:
xterm -tn vt100

did the job
Code:
echo $TERM
vt100

but it is JUST the name if I understood correctly. It doesn't mean that I emulate vt100

anyway, -ti option and -tn option don't change anything.
I have exaclty the same trouble
Smilie

Last edited by xib.be; 12-17-2010 at 08:50 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

xterm font colors - configuration question?

When I telnet (ssh) over to my Fedora system, I find the colors horrible. For instance, regular files are white text, which is fine, but directories show up as dark blue which is virtually invisible against the black background). Additionally, when using vi, I find the colors great doing perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripley
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic Copy of File Contents to Clipboard

Could someone show me how to copy the contents of a file to the clipboard automatically without manually selecting its contents? I just want to press the "Paste Key" to show the results. I wish to use this in a ksh script. I'm using Solaris. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilak1008
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy text from a file from VI editor to Windows clipboard

Copy text from a file from VI editor to Windows clipboard, I mean copy entire file in vi editor to notepad. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
13 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

paste in x11 xterm

Hi, I have MBP (Macbook Pro) and when launching X11 xterm I noticed the paste button is greyed out and so you can't paste. Is there any alternative to paste in X11? I know you could use three button mouse to highlight then paste by clicking wheel button. But is there keyboard combination that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tau
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed copy paste

Hello, I have this path and file: /dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/THIS_SPOT/fle.txt I want to end up with: /dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/THIS_SPOT/fle.txtTHIS_SPOT Take the dir after the 10th slash, add a tab at the end and paste the dir it copied. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy/Paste in Vi editor

Dear All, I have a file containing 12 lines. First 3 lines have 9 values and the remaining 9 lines with no values. I was trying to copy and paste these 9 values of the first 3 lines into last 9 lines simultaneously as A=1.491331, B=1.539000 ..... but I don't know how to cope with this... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sullah
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy entire contents of file to clipboard

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to copy the contents of a file to the clipboard, then paste into a command. i.e copy contents of file /path/filename.txt to <command> <paste text> Hope that makes sense. Basically tryting to copy the text for use in a command without having to open the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCA70
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clipboard retrieve/paste command

I mainly use Max/MSP for my audio programming, but today I am working on a project that requires the use of shell. Is it possible to do this? Retrieve the contents of the clipboard. Send a keystroke to an application without loosing focus, for example, I want to initiate a paste command (with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhill2
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I copy from windows clipboard into VI session?

trying to add my Google analytics code to every page on my site. I want to paste in into every file. I have it in Notepad++. If I open a file in VI, using Putty to connect is it easy to just paste into the VI session? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: waynehazle
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 : command to copy text to the clipboard.

I'm searching a command to copy text to the clipboard. xclip and xsel are commands which are available on several kind Linux and Unix OS, but is unfortenuately not available on solaris 10. REF : xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/x/general/xwin12-Xclipboard/single/ clipboard of openSolaris is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: droopy4u
9 Replies
XSEL(1x)																  XSEL(1x)

NAME
xsel - manipulate the X selection. SYNOPSIS
xsel [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Retrieve and set the X selection. The X server maintains three selections, called PRIMARY, SECONDARY and CLIPBOARD. The PRIMARY selection is conventionally used to implement copying and pasting via the middle mouse button. The SECONDARY and CLIPBOARD selections are less frequently used by application programs. This program operates on the PRIMARY selection unless otherwise specified. By default, this program outputs the selection without modification if both standard input and standard output are terminals (ttys). Other- wise, the current selection is output if standard output is not a terminal (tty), and the selection is set from standard input if standard input is not a terminal (tty). If any input or output options are given then the program behaves only in the requested mode. If both input and output is required then the previous selection is output before being replaced by the contents of standard input. Input options -a, --append append standard input to the selection. Implies -i. -f, --follow append to selection as standard input grows. Implies -i. -i, --input read standard input into the selection. Output options -o, --output write the selection to standard output. Action options -c, --clear clear the selection. Overrides all input options. -d, --delete Request that the current selection be deleted. This not only clears the selection, but also requests to the program in which the selection resides that the selected contents be deleted. Overrides all input options. Selection options -p, --primary operate on the PRIMARY selection (default). -s, --secondary operate on the SECONDARY selection. -b, --clipboard operate on the CLIPBOARD selection. -k, --keep Do not modify the selections, but make the PRIMARY and SECONDARY selections persist even after the programs they were selected in exit. (Conventionally, the CLIPBOARD selection is persisted by a separate special purpose program such as xclipboard(1)). Ignores all input and output options. -x, --exchange exchange the PRIMARY and SECONDARY selections. Ignores all input and output options. X options -d displayname, --display displayname specify the server to use; see X(1). -t ms, --selectionTimeout ms Specify the timeout in milliseconds within which the selection must be retrieved. A value of 0 (zero) specifies no timeout (default). Miscellaneous options -l filename, --logfile filename Specify the file to log errors to when detached. (Default $HOME/.xsel.log) -n, --nodetach Do not detach from the controlling terminal. Without this option, xsel will fork to become a background process in input, exchange and keep modes. -h, --help display usage information and exit -v, --verbose Print informative messages. Additional instances of -v raise the debugging level, ie. print more information. --version output version information and exit NOTES
There is no X selection buffer. The selection mechanism in X11 is an interclient communication mediated by the X server each time any pro- gram wishes to know the selection contents, eg. to perform a middle mouse button paste. In order to implement modification of the selec- tion(s) (in input, keep and exchange modes) this program detaches from the terminal, spawning a child process to supply the new selec- tion(s) on demand. This child exits immediately when any other program takes over the selection(s), eg. when the user next selects some text in a terminal window or by running xsel -c. STANDARDS
xsel conforms to the Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual Version 2.0 (ICCCM2). SEE ALSO
X(7), Xserver(1), xset(1), xclipboard(1), xpaste(1) AUTHOR
Conrad Parker <conrad@vergenet.net>, July 2001 January 2008 XSEL(1x)