Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux ArchLinux - GUI (DE) set to boot up Post 302481040 by looop on Thursday 16th of December 2010 12:49:18 PM
Old 12-16-2010
ArchLinux - GUI (DE) set to boot up

Okay I'am not using ArchLinux but one of girlfreinds needs it (or it recommend by her work) and she need a desktop - so how do we do so the computer boot up with GUI instead of console ? - I'am a newbie to Arch so I have no idea, is it like SlackWare where you change the inittab file or is it some thing for advance ? pleas help

Thanks in advance:
- Me and her

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do i set up dual boot again, possible virus caused problems...

ok well last night "something" caused by computer to "flip out"...i noticed that it seemed to be in dos but there was allot of info displaying on the screen real fast and after turning it off i was told there was no hard disk detected... so after talking to tech support i got windows up and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If a is windows gui ( client), b is a unix gui ( Server for a) and c is a shell scrip

Hello all, 1) I want to have a GUI application that will call Unix shell scripts, 2) that GUI application should be able to reside on windows ( if possible) and then call Unix shell script either directly or through a server residing on unix. That is for example. If a is windows gui (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hchivukula
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Set up solaris boot server only

Is it possible to set up a boot server only ( no install server ) for booting up the systems from network for recovery purposes ? What are the steps included for it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Make another set of root(/), /boot, /home and other partitions?

Hello, As a purely learning purpose I am trying to make another set of partitions along my existing Ubuntu11.10 box. The reason to do this partition is to try a new Linux system by myself following "Linux From Scratch" (LFS). Because the instruction of LFS seems for very advanced user (I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

5. Fedora

Automatically execute a software without gui at boot

hi all, this is my first post here...i hope that this is the correct section to write my question. I have a distro linux without gui, only text mode. So, it's possible run automatically a command or a program as "top" or "ping" and get the result on the main shell , after the boot and after... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangiaemi
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

Custom-Spin doesnt boot to GUI when /etc/skel is changed

Heyas So i have my custom Fedora with AwesomeWM spin with alots of customizations using the kickstart method for a liveimage. A few weeks (2-3 months) ago, i've done some changes i cannot remember. Those changes made the image from bootable to gui, to not booting to gui any more. Just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

7. Linux

[archLinux] keymap not applied?

Heyas -Just- installed Arch, and having difficulties to understand why my keyboard layout still is en_US, eventhough i had set it to be de_CH. *UTF-8 obviously* This applies to console AND X. * https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_guide#Console_font_and_keymap *... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
0 Replies

8. Programming

Python gui or C++ gui or java gui?

python gui or c++ gui or java gui? and when to use etch one? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaja
1 Replies
advfsd(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 advfsd(8)

NAME
advfsd - Starts the AdvFS graphical user interface (GUI) daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/advfsd DESCRIPTION
The AdvFS daemon, advfsd, is a process required by the AdvFS GUI (dtadvfs). The advfsd daemon issues commands and obtains system information on behalf of the AdvFS GUI. The /usr/var/advfs/daemon/socket/hosts.allow file contains a list of all hosts on which the advfsd daemon will allow the AdvFS GUI to run. This file can be edited to add or remove hosts. Each host name must be on a separate line. For example: host1 host3 host27 The /usr/var/advfs/daemon/socket/gui.passwd file, if it exists, is used by advfsd to force a dtadvfs user to enter a unique password when attempting to connect to the host. The first line of this file is the unique password required by the GUI. For example: guipassword For security reasons, do not use the password of the root user or any other user; make up a unique name and do not encrypt it. The advfsd daemon allows Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) clients such as NetView or Performance Manager (PM) to request AdvFS file system information. SNMP clients cannot issue system configuration commands to the advfsd daemon. The advfsd daemon is automatically started at boot time. Under normal conditions, this daemon does not need to be run manually. If you do not want to have the daemon started at boot time, move the /sbin/rc3.d/s53advfsd file from its default location to another directory and run it from that directory. Whenever you want to run the daemon at boot time, move the s53advfsd file back to the /sbin/rc3.d directory. The daemon (called an agent in the dtadvfs GUI interface) employs a file, /usr/var/advfs/daemon/disks.ignore, in which you can place the names of disks that the daemon will ignore when it gathers information about disks on the system. If you use the disks.ignore file, you can improve the performance of the dtadvfs GUI. Each line in the disks.ignore file contains the name of a disk (with no directory partition letter) to be ignored by the daemon. For example, to cause the disks /dev/disk/dsk3d and /dev/disk/dsk2g to be ignored, enter the following names on separate lines in the file: dsk2 dsk3 You cannot ignore an LSM volume by including the LSM volume name in the disks.ignore file; you must list the disks from which the LSM vol- ume is built. To ignore a complete disk group, you must list all the disks in it. Because all partitions on the listed disks will be ignored, unexpected results may occur if a disk has partitions belonging to more than one disk group. The disks.ignore file is processed each time the disks are checked. This means that if a disk fails or becomes unavailable, you can add the disk name to the disks.ignore file and the daemon will ignore it. Once the disk is available, remove the entry from the file. There is no need to stop the daemon. For more information, see the GUI interface reference page , dtadvfs(8). RESTRICTIONS
Only one advfsd daemon can be running on a system at a given time. If a second advfsd daemon attempts to start, it will fail. You must be the root user to use this utility and you must register the Advanced File System Utilities license. FILES
The script that starts the advfsd daemon at boot time. The advfsd message catalog. The SNMP data files. The sh scripts used by the dae- mon to execute commands. The advfsd daemon executable. The advfsd daemon message log file. Remove or copy this log to another location periodically to prevent the log from becoming too large. The security file that lists all hosts with permission to connect to the advfsd daemon with the AdvFS GUI (dtadvfs). The advfsd password file. The file that lists all disks for the advfsd daemon to ignore when col- lecting statistics about resources. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), dtadvfs(8) advfsd(8)