Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Best way to edit a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Best way to edit a file Post 302480832 by anurag.singh on Thursday 16th of December 2010 03:29:48 AM
Old 12-16-2010
1st sed command with -i switch should work for you.
If not,
Code:

sed -i 's/users_here\(.*\)usera,\(.*\)/users_here\1\2/' inputFile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file name edit

ok I have a list of files for example: 130-4-32.HindIII.0.ids 130-4-32.HindIII.0.ppm 130-4-32.HindIII.0.ppm.gz 130-4-33.HindIII.0.bands 130-4-33.HindIII.0.ics 130-4-33.HindIII.0.ids 130-4-33.HindIII.0.ppm 130-4-33.HindIII.0.ppm.gz 130-4-34.HindIII.0.bands ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lorcet222
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

file edit help

Hi, Could anyone give me a idea how to strip the lines from a given file. example *********** 1st occurence 1st occurence 1st occurence 1st occurence *********** 2nd occurence 2nd occurence 2nd occurence 2nd occurence 2nd occurence 2nd occurence ************* 3rd occurence 3rd... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentak
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit the File

Hello Everyone I am new to this forum. I am having a requirement to edit the file(the file is having some sql code). And this file is in my colleagues login. This is readonly Now I would like to edit this file. In which way can I do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradkumar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit a .fs file

I have a .fs file that I want to edit, (or just be able to see what is in it) preferably through a windows environment. Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiterboy
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit value in File

I have a file oratab with entry like this SCADAG:/esitst1/oracle/product/9.2.0.8:Y I am trying to discover a way to change the 9.2.0.8 part of this to something like 10.2.0.4 as part of an upgrade script. I have tried cat /etc/oratab >>/tmp/oratab... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sewood
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Edit the file content and create new file

I have a requirement, which is as follows *. Folder contains list of xmls. Script has to create new xml files by copying the existing one and renaming it by appending "_pre.xml" at the end. *. Each file has multiple <Name>fileName</Name> entry. The script has to find the first occurance of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudesh.ach
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit a file

I have file like cp -p /var/adm/ /tmp1/tmp1.log cp -p /var/adm/ /tmp1/tmp2.log cp -p /var/adm/ /tmp1/tmp3.log cp -p /var/adm/ /tmp1/tmp4.log I need to re-write the file like: cp -p /var/adm/tmp1.log /tmp1/ cp -p /var/adm/tmp2.log /tmp1/ cp -p /var/adm/tmp3.log /tmp1/ cp -p... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h_banka
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit file

I have a file containing dates like below 2010 1 02 2010 2 01 2010 3 05 i want the dates to be like below 20100102 20100201 20100305 i tired using awk '{printf "%s%02s%02s",$1,$2,$3}' But it does not work,it puts all the dates in one line,i want them in seperate lines like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Edit file

Hi All, I have file with 200K Records and each line with 400 character. I need to edit the some part of the file. For example, i need to edit character from 115 to 125, 135to 145 and 344 to 361 Can you please anyone help me to do this? Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balasubramani04
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to edit crontab file

Hi, I have a solaris 10 box. And I want to schedule a cronjob.But it gives the following error bash-3.2$ crontab -l crontab: can't open your crontab file. bash-3.2$ EDITOR=vi bash-3.2$ export EDITOR bash-3.2$ crontab -e crontab: can't open your crontab file. I checked in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
12 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)