Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking ddns-rev-domainname being created wrong. Post 302480602 by Adesso on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 10:26:54 AM
Old 12-15-2010
ddns-rev-domainname being created wrong.

Greetings all,

I have been battling with this problem for some time now, and I am not sure if I am just not seeing the obvious anymore or have made a stupid mistake, but I just can seem to get the reverse address in my network to run the right way.

Short description of my network:
I have a 50 user network with two switches and a main server connected to the internet with DSL. 99% of the user are on windows.

I have setup the main server as the main DNS with bind and Dynamic DHCP. A couple of the network maschines are internal servers, one for development, one as a NAS etc.

Manual DNS entries has been made for the internal servers and a couple of printers and routers, all other clients are assigned a IP via DHCP.

The problem:
All the clients are recieving the right IP on the subnet 192.168.1.0 but the reverse adresses are wrong, ie: 164.1.168.192.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa Smilie

Now I know that this is the cause of a single dot that is not there, but I don't know where to look anymore. I am just not sure anymore what I can do.

The network runs, but windows take a long time to get a lease from the server (due to the reverse lookup not working)

dhcpd.conf
Code:
authoritative;
ddns-update-style interim;
ddns-updates on;
ddns-domainname "mynet";
ddns-rev-domainname "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
ddns-hostname = pick (option fqdn.hostname, option host-name, concat ("dhcp-",binary-to-ascii (10, 8, "-", leased-address)));
update-static-leases on;
option domain-name "mynet";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
option ntp-servers 192.168.1.1;
option netbios-node-type 8;
option host-name = config-option server.ddns-hostname;
include "/etc/rndc.key";
#DSL subnet ip replaced with x
subnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        ddns-domainname "mynet";
        ddns-rev-domainname "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
        range 192.168.1.32 192.168.1.192;
        default-lease-time 1800;
        max-lease-time 3600;
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        option ip-forwarding off;
        option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
        option ntp-servers 192.168.1.1;
        zone mynet {
                primary 192.168.1.1;
                key rndc-key;
        }
        zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa {
                primary 192.168.1.1;
                key rndc-key;
        }
        option netbios-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
}
host mainserver {
        hardware ethernet 00:1A:A0:27:F9:D7;
        fixed-address 192.168.1.1;
}
host devserver {
        hardware ethernet 00:22:15:78:ff:9a;
        fixed-address 192.168.1.3;
}

Last edited by Adesso; 12-16-2010 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: Formatting

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about domainname

I'm kindda confused about domainname and /etc/defaultdomain. If I type domainname tesT.com, will this be added to /etc/defaultdomain or do I need to add manually on /etc/defaultdomain as well?...second question, if I type domainname tesT.com...is it case sensitive? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dookeobih
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ROM Rev upgrade?

hi all, I have a sparc5 with ROM Rev 2.15. Is it possible to upgrade to a higher rev? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrec
1 Replies

3. Linux

domainname command

Hey, I've been on this for a while... can somebody explain to me what the domainname command really does. The man pages don't tell enough. And how can i have the domain name set so it will be the same all the time when the OS boots up. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
4 Replies

4. Linux

Ddns

Help! I've got RH7 running DDNS. It works between my machines NS1(DDNS server) and NS2(my back up DDNS server in windows) but when i add a client to the mix i can't type the clients name such as ping linux137 Instead i've gotta type the fully qualified domain name.(or ip) Ping... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

domainname dnsdomainname....etc ??

is there a variable that controls whether the settings of the domainname and dnsdomainame, nisdomaname and hostname are global or local (as in static).. i keep setting the values for these commands and after a while they disappear. how can I keep one static value that will remain even after I have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
7 Replies

6. IP Networking

Ddns

Hi all, I was wondering ( yes it is a noob question :) ), i buy a domain (from domain.com) but i have dynamic public ip address and i was wondering if there is a way to automatically update my dynamic public ip address to my domain with BIND. For example now i have some ip 22.22.22.22... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: IvanAK
4 Replies

7. Solaris

File created with wrong timestamp

Hi All, We are working on solaris 10. I create a file using touch command and when list the file, it does not shows the right timestamp. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_kmehra
4 Replies