Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FC related disks
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory FC related disks Post 302480597 by DGPickett on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 10:17:22 AM
Old 12-15-2010
http://storusint.com/pdf/SCSI_vs_FC.pdf seems very helpful!

I have not surveyed the FC offerings for small servers, PCs, Laptops. While it might be SAN oriented, I see they are available in popular form factors:

FC hard drive price compare - Google Search

Seems a bit faster than the hottest SCSI, and maybe with simpler/cheaper controller, cabling, termination. Controller comes as a plug in or motherboard.

Since it fits into the SCSI configuration metaphor, it is not surprising that it inherits many configuration attributes from SCSI.

I wonder if FC has more latency and lower random performance than SCSI, with the serial access and optical encoding/decoding, not to mention higher contention if many/more devices are on a channel.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how many disks do I have?

Hi How do I check how many disks do I have in Solaris & HP-UX? Also what does this mean c9t1d5 in /dev/dsk what is c, t, d etc cheers (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: g-e-n-o
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CPIO related

i have a cpio.z file containing another cpio file . I want to view the contents of the cpio file inside . How to do it? my parent cpio file invoked with cpio -itv looks some thing like ompmum4 sbadgire> zcat 210_2122_ECP_03.cpio.Z| cpio -itv -rwxr-xr-x 1 20519 20519 761856... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rraajjiibb
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Related

well through my 6 months education i know some unix os but i can't find one for my p3 via board can any one tell me where to find such please replay as email or private msg and thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaMaL
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Re-using disks

I would like to know if I can move the disks from a V240 chassis into a V440 chassis to use the increased resources (CPU & Memory) to boost performance. I know you can move disks between V210/240 chassis's, but I'm not sure if this would work between 240s & 440s. Any help would be much appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chains
4 Replies

5. Solaris

related to mounting.......

can i mount the same mount point to two different file system...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting related .

Could any body give the solution/script to get the below... 1.script will run and detcect the files having 0kb size , and give the solution in a out put file.(Will search the file in the path let say /abc/M/) 2.Same as the above also send a mail to your mails id , with the file name stating... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexMar
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need downloading related help...but its not related to unix

Hi All, I am trying to dowmload the zip file "zkManageCustomers.zip " but i dont have access. Can anyone help me to download this file See the below link- http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/wa-aj-open/index.html?ca=drs- Please help me as early as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aish11
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question related to 'ps'

If I run a script called 'abc.sh' and then execute the following : ps -ef | grep 'abc.sh' I always get two rows of output, one for the executing script, and the other for the grep command that I have triggered after the pipe. Questions: Why does the second row turn up in the results. My... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail related

I have maintaining 16 client PCs.I want to get a mail from client PCs whenever any one of the services are not working.Services like postgres ,sms , jts and synch etc.,The Client PCs are remotely placed.I want to develop this through shell script ,But I don't have an idea to develop this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
2 Replies
TAPEINFO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       TAPEINFO(1)

NAME
tapeinfo - report SCSI tape device info SYNOPSIS
tapeinfo -f <scsi-generic-device> DESCRIPTION
The tapeinfo command reads various information from SCSI tape drives that is not generally available via most vendors' tape drivers. It issues raw commands directly to the tape drive, using either the operating system's SCSI generic device ( e.g. /dev/sg0 on Linux, /dev/pass0 on FreeBSD) or the raw SCSI I/O ioctl on a tape device on some operating systems. One good time to use 'tapeinfo' is immediately after a tape i/o operation has failed. On tape drives that support HP's 'tapealert' API, 'tapeinfo' will report a more exact description of what went wrong. Do be aware that 'tapeinfo' is not a substitute for your operating system's own 'mt' or similar tape driver control program. It is intended to supplement, not replace, programs like 'mt' that access your operating system's tape driver in order to report or set information. OPTIONS
The first argument, given following -f , is the SCSI generic device corresponding to your tape drive. Consult your operating system's doc- umentation for more information (for example, under Linux these are generally start at /dev/sg0 under FreeBSD these start at /dev/pass0). Under FreeBSD, 'camcontrol devlist' will tell you what SCSI devices you have, along with which 'pass' device controls them. Under Linux, "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" will tell you what SCSI devices you have. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
This program has only been tested on Linux with a limited number of tape drives (HP DDS4, Seagate AIT). AVAILABILITY
tapeinfo is currently being maintained by Eric Lee Green <eric@badtux.org> formerly of Enhanced Software Technologies Inc. The 'mtx' home page is http://mtx.sourceforge.net and the actual code is currently available there and via CVS from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtx/ . SEE ALSO
mt(1),mtx(1),scsitape(1) TAPEINFO1.0 TAPEINFO(1)