Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can't configure sendmail to send mails to external SMTP Server Post 302480541 by DGPickett on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 08:35:27 AM
Old 12-15-2010
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf (depends on sendmail version)
Code:
# Relay all non-local mail to the "Smart" relay host (DS) via smtp:
#      This macro is optional. If you wish to send all non-local mail         
#      to a smart relay via SMTP just set macro S (DS) to the name of the 
#      smart relay.  If this macro is not set, then all mail addresses to     
#      a non-local user will be send to the relay.                             #
# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DShostname.domain

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

how to send mails to users on exchange server from sendmail/solaris(mailx)

Hi, Can anyone pls. tell me how to access Active directory from solaris. I am looking at solution by which I can send mail notification from the logs generated by scripts, to the users on Exchange server. I am trying for a Perl-LDAP module , but don't realy know how to go for it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganeshh
5 Replies

2. SuSE

How to configure Suse Enterprise Linux 9.0 for sending mails to smtp server...???

Hi All, I have a system running with Suse Enterprise Linux 9.0. xyz# uname -a Linux xyz 2.4.21-291-smp #1 SMP Tue May 24 14:07:45 UTC 2005 i686 unknown I would like to configure postfix on this system for sending mails as a root user using "mail" command to smtp server (Windows System)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Configure SMTP Server for Unix

Hi, We had an upgrade today morning and since then mailx command is not working. I have been told to change the DNS to use host name as smtp.companyname.com instead of the IP address. Can someone please help me out to know where can I change this on a Unix Server. Thanks Aman (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chawlaaman
5 Replies

4. SCO

SCO 5.0.7 Sendmail. Need help on how to configure SMTP

Did anyone know or can provide some instructions on how to setup smtp for sendmail. All I need to do is email files from sco thru my ISP smtp provider. please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: miles556
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Steps to configure sendmail to receive e-mails

Hi Unix Gurus, Please help me out here. Please tell me the steps to conigure sendmail to receive emails (same way we configure outlook client in windows)? Thanks in advance. -Dejavu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DejaVu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send email from sendmail on AIX using exchange server as SMTP server

i am new in AIX i am trying to write a script to take a backup for specific files on server to and check error log if backup success send email to administrator , script done except for sending mail , i try to configure sendmail on aix to use our exchange server to send emails but still get error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_salah
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to send mails to external mailids from solaris 10

Hi, Iam not able to send mails from solaris servers to external mailid (gmail,yahoo).I am able to send mails to internal mailids with in network. Requesting you all to please help me to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance. Venkat (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatasiva85
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

External SMTP server

Hi, We current use an email/hosted exchange server (provided by 3rd party company). Our production DNS (RH5) server has got the MX rec configured for this 3rd party mail relay server. So in order to resolve hostnames to send outbound mails an A record entry is also required on the external... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris - Sendmail - Adding .com.gr in external senders e-mails

Hello Everybody ! I'm Harry from Athens Greece and i have a problem with my Sendmail 8.13.3 installed on Solaris SunOS ultra 5.10. The problem is that when someone sends to us an e-mail and his e-mail address is like : xxxx@xxxx.com, our e-mail server adds up in the senders address a .com.gr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mcasim
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Configure sendmail with SMTP

Hello, I'm trying to configure sendmail with SMTP authentication on a SunOS 5.11 operating system. I have been read various documentation / tutorials and unfortunately is not working. I need help from someone who has configured smtp on this operating system. When I try to send a mail, I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d4rkm4nx99
2 Replies
qmail-remote(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   qmail-remote(8)

NAME
qmail-remote - send mail via SMTP SYNOPSIS
qmail-remote host sender recip [ recip ... ] DESCRIPTION
qmail-remote reads a mail message from its input and sends the message to one or more recipients at a remote host. The remote host is qmail-remote's first argument, host. qmail-remote sends the message to host, or to a mail exchanger for host listed in the Domain Name System, via the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). host can be either a fully-qualified domain name: silverton.berkeley.edu or an IP address enclosed in brackets: [128.32.183.163] The envelope recipient addresses are listed as recip arguments to qmail-remote. The envelope sender address is listed as sender. Note that qmail-remote does not take options and does not follow the getopt standard. TRANSPARENCY
End-of-file in SMTP is encoded as dot CR LF. A dot at the beginning of a line is encoded as dot dot. It is impossible in SMTP to send a message that does not end with a newline. qmail-remote converts the UNIX newline convention into the SMTP newline convention by inserting CR before each LF. It is a violation of the SMTP protocol to send a message that contains long lines or non-ASCII characters. However, qmail-remote will hap- pily send such messages. It is the user's responsibility to avoid generating illegal messages. RESULTS
qmail-remote prints some number of recipient reports, followed by a message report. Each report is terminated by a 0 byte. Each report begins with a single letter: r Recipient report: acceptance. h Recipient report: permanent rejection. s Recipient report: temporary rejection. K Message report: success. host has taken responsibility for delivering the message to each acceptable recipient. Z Message report: temporary failure. D Message report: permanent failure. After this letter comes a human-readable description of what happened. The recipient reports will always be printed in the same order as qmail-remote's recip arguments. Note that in failure cases there may be fewer recipient reports than recip arguments. qmail-remote always exits zero. CONTROL FILES
helohost Current host name, for use solely in saying hello to the remote SMTP server. Default: me, if that is supplied; otherwise qmail-remote refuses to run. smtproutes Artificial SMTP routes. Each route has the form domain:relay, without any extra spaces. If domain matches host, qmail-remote will connect to relay, as if host had relay as its only MX. (It will also avoid doing any CNAME lookups on recip.) host may include a colon and a port number to use instead of the normal SMTP port, 25: inside.af.mil:firewall.af.mil:26 relay may be empty; this tells qmail-remote to look up MX records as usual. smtproutes may include wildcards: .af.mil: :heaven.af.mil Here any address ending with .af.mil (but not af.mil itself) is routed by its MX records; any other address is artificially routed to heaven.af.mil. The qmail system does not protect you if you create an artificial mail loop between machines. However, you are always safe using smt- proutes if you do not accept mail from the network. timeoutconnect Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for the remote SMTP server to accept a connection. Default: 60. The kernel normally imposes a 75-second upper limit. timeoutremote Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for each response from the remote SMTP server. Default: 1200. SEE ALSO
addresses(5), envelopes(5), qmail-control(5), qmail-send(8), qmail-smtpd(8), qmail-tcpok(8), qmail-tcpto(8) qmail-remote(8)