Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Performance issue / tuning advice Post 302480507 by zaxxon on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 06:52:06 AM
Old 12-15-2010
I do not know SAS - I could see it is some Business Intelligence Software, which I guess can consist of different kinds of applications. More information would be interessting, if there is any type of database is involved, webservers etc.

Has anybody tuned this system already? There is a guide I just found which might be interessting for you:
http://www.sas.com/partners/director...stPractice.pdf

What does really not look good is:
  1. kthr/r Run Queue -- Did you try exporting AIXTHREAD_SCOPE=S? It looks to me, as if there are just far too few CPU resources to handle all ready-to-run threads. It would be really interessting to see, how the system behaves if you could add 3 more physical CPU units. Also it would be interessting, if your application benefits from partitioning your 3 physical CPUs to 6 virtual CPUs which would result with SMT turned on (which is the case in your system) to 12 logical CPUs instead of just 6.
  2. For scanning memory pages, the ratio is ok, example fr: 83624 sr: 126816 which is about 1:1,5. Though it is a lot of free pages the system demands and so with has to scan. Beside that it nearly always has about 80k pages on the free list. Could you please post the output of vmo -x minfree -x maxfree, thanks. Best add the output of vmo -x lru_file_repage too, just in case. Also the output of svmon -G might be interessting.
  3. What is definetly tunable, is the bad high counter for
    596244370 external pager filesystem I/Os blocked with no fsbuf. Setting the double of your current (check with ioo -x j2_dynamicBufferPreallocation) or if it is still 16 which is default, try 128 instead and check over time, if counter is still increasing by large number. You can also tune the ioo -x j2_nBufferPerPagerDevice to let's say 2048 and check if the counter increases rapidly still. It will take some time to monitor it. Check the man page for ioo, which of the 2 parameters can be changed dynamic and which needs a remounts of the filesystems.
  4. Currently your box is not paging in or out to Paging Space, but you have this: 731746 paging space I/Os blocked with no psbuf
    which shows, there has been such activity. I bet a lsps -a will show, that some of your Paging Space is used. If the output of ioo -x lru_file_repage turns out to be 0 already, then I would add some more memory to this box.

So far my 1st ideas for your box. Would be nice to hear any feedback if anything of it helped.

Last edited by zaxxon; 12-15-2010 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: typos, formatting
This User Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Performance tuning.

can someone tell me a good site to go to in order to learn this. please do not recommen nay books because i dont have interest in that. if you know of any good sites with good straight forward explanation on how to split loads on machines that has excessive loading, please let me know Also,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

EXT3 Performance tuning

Hi all, long time ago I posted something, but now, it is needed again :( Currently, I am handling with a big NFS Server for more than 200 clients, this sever has to work with 256 NFSDs. Because of this huge amount of NFSDs, there are thousands of small write accesses down to the disk and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Performance Tuning

Hi to all, I'm interested in finding an introduction about Performance Tuning under Unix (or Linux); can somebody please point me in the right direction? Best regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: domyalex
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle-performance tuning

Sorry, This is out of scope of this group.But I require the clarification pretty urgently. My Oracle database is parallely enabled. Still,in a particular table queries do not work "parallely" always. How is this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthri
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance Tuning

Hi All, In last one week, i have posted many questions in this portal. At last i am succeeded to make my 1st unix script. following are 2 points where my script is taking tooooo long. 1. Print the total number of records excluding header & footer. I have found that awk 'END{print NR -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Performance diagnosis & tuning

Hi, I am facing a strange issue. Application is deployed in a cluster with 2 Unix nodes (with same configuration). On one node the application is working fine but on another node we see this behavior I found using vmstat- when the server is not yet started everything is OK; when you start the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash.abrol
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris Performance tuning

Dear all, I have a Local zone , where users feel that performance is not good. Is it wise to collect the inputs from the local zone rather than taking from the global zone. And also Can I tune from Global zone , so that it will reflect in local zone. Rgds rj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

8. Tips and Tutorials

The Most Incomplete Guide to Performance Tuning

Overview: Introduction What Does Success Mean? What Does Performance Mean? Every Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Work Like a Physicist Work Like You Walk - One Step at a Time Learn to Know Your System Choose Your Weapons! Tools of the Trade 1 - vmstat A Little Theory Along the Way -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

9. AIX

IBM AIX I/O Performance Tuning

I have a IBM Power9 server coupled with a NVMe StorWize V7000 GEN3 storage, doing some benchmarks and noticing that single thread I/O (80% Read / 20% Write, common OLTP I/O profile) seems slow. ./xdisk -R0 -r80 -b 8k -M 1 -f /usr1/testing -t60 -OD -V BS Proc AIO read% IO Flag IO/s ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
8 Replies
PAPI_num_cmp_hwctrs(3)						       PAPI						    PAPI_num_cmp_hwctrs(3)

NAME
PAPI_num_cmp_hwctrs - Return the number of hardware counters for the specified component. SYNOPSIS
Detailed Description PAPI_num_cmp_hwctrs() returns the number of counters present in the specified component. By convention, component 0 is always the cpu. On some components, especially for CPUs, the value returned is a theoretical maximum for estimation purposes only. It might not be possible to easily create an EventSet that contains the full number of events. This can be due to a variety of reasons: 1). Some CPUs (especially Intel and POWER) have the notion of fixed counters that can only measure one thing, usually cycles. 2). Some CPUs have very explicit rules about which event can run in which counter. In this case it might not be possible to add a wanted event even if counters are free. 3). Some CPUs halve the number of counters available when running with SMT (multiple CPU threads) enabled. 4). Some operating systems 'steal' a counter to use for things such as NMI Watchdog timers. The only sure way to see if events will fit is to attempt adding events to an EventSet, and doing something sensible if an error is generated. PAPI_library_init() must be called in order for this function to return anything greater than 0. C Interface: #include <papi.h> int PAPI_num_cmp_hwctrs(int cidx ); Parameters: cidx -- An integer identifier for a component. By convention, component 0 is always the cpu component. Example * // Query the cpu component for the number of counters. * printf( * Returns: On success, this function returns a value greater than zero. A zero result usually means the library has not been initialized. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for PAPI from the source code. Version 5.2.0.0 Tue Jun 17 2014 PAPI_num_cmp_hwctrs(3)