Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to clear history in Linux Post 302480457 by citaylor on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 03:06:14 AM
Old 12-15-2010
The posting implies that the user is using bash. In this instance the history is usually kept in $HOME/.bash_history

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

clear passwd history without ...

how do I clear passwd history of a user without compromising the audit trail for security? in a nutshell, user abc wants to re-use his passwd ( he is not savvy with computers ) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: A Stewart
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to clear history

Hi... i have one doubt pls... 1)can we clear the command line history in UNIX for a paricular login(scadm/root)if so how?. 2) can we see the time at which command executed. history is showing like : 100 display 101 lock 102 exit (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gincemathew
7 Replies

3. Solaris

how to clear command history

hi Any one can help me. I am using Sun_Solaris. The command history set to 100 at .cshrc. I am unable to clear the command histoy. In Linux it is very easy by giving command history -c I could not find any such type command to clear the history. Is there any such type of command for solaris.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabir
3 Replies

4. Linux

History of executed command in Linux

Hi All, Is there a way to check command executed by users in Linux for a specific date? I know we can use history, but it doesn't shows yesterday's executed commands. rgds, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronny_nch
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clear history logs of all terminal sessions

Hi, I would normally clear off the history entries from a terminal by using the following commands: > ~/.bash_history history -c But this will remove the entries of that particular session only. How to prune all the entries of all login sessions for a particular user in a system? N.B:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

6. Linux

clear in Linux ksh

Clear in Linux #!/usr/bin/ksh am using clear in the script, but it is not working, it gives an error as follows, 'xterm': unknown terminal type. please help out.:confused: ---------- Post updated at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:01 PM ---------- if then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to clear history in ksh?

I want to clear the history so that no one should be able to see what commands I gave in the AIX OS level. I tried using history -c , ~/.sh_history, but they aren't working :wall: Please tell me the command in ksh which can clear all the previous history? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lg123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear history in ksh

Hi Am using ksh shell I need to remove history of commands used.. I tried # rm .vi_history # touch .vi_history # chmod 600 .vi_history This didnt work.. I tried also # rm .sh_history # touch .sh_history # chmod 600 .sh_history (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to clear "history" command entries??

As in the title, how to clear the history entries? For eg: if i enter history, series of linux commands getting displayed from day 1. I need to clear those entries and want linux commands to be stored freshly. Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick nath
6 Replies

10. Programming

Clear standard input buffer for C program in Linux

Hello friends! i am writing a code in which i take inputs (numbers) from user and count the total number of positive, negative and zeros entered. I need to clear my standard input buffer before scanf() command. My compiler is completely ignoring the fflush(stdin) command. its not even showing any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abhishek_kumar
1 Replies
MAKEDBZ(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation							MAKEDBZ(8)

NAME
makedbz - Rebuild dbz files SYNOPSIS
makedbz [-io] [-f filename] [-s size] DESCRIPTION
makedbz rebuilds dbz(3) database. The default name of the text file is pathdb/history; to specify a different name, use the -f flag. OPTIONS
-f filename If the -f flag is used, then the database files are named "filename.dir", "filename.index", and "filename.hash". If the -f flag is not used, then a temporary link to the name "history.n" is made and the database files are written as "history.n.index" , "history.n.hash" and "history.n.dir". -i To ignore the old database, use the -i flag. Using the -o or -s flags implies the -i flag. -o If the -o flag is used, then the link is not made and any existing history files are overwritten. If the old database exists, makedbz will use it to determine the size of the new database. -s size makedbz will also ignore any old database if the -s flag is used to specify the approximate number of entries in the new database. Accurately specifying the size is an optimization that will create a more efficient database. Size is measured in key-value pairs (i.e. lines). (The size should be the estimated eventual size of the file, typically the size of the old file.) For more information, see the discussion of dbzfresh and dbzsize in dbz(3). HISTORY
Written by Katsuhiro Kondou <kondou@nec.co.jp> for InterNetNews. Converted to POD by Julien Elie. $Id: makedbz.pod 8584 2009-08-20 21:54:07Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
dbz(3), history(5). INN 2.5.2 2009-09-11 MAKEDBZ(8)