Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [Bash] Beginner at scripting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Bash] Beginner at scripting Post 302480392 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 06:58:03 PM
Old 12-14-2010
Not quite sure what is going on here, but there is a lot of duplication of code and the following should be functionally equilivent, without the duplicated code.

It's quite normal to use the "[" construct instead of test and tends to make things a little more readable.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

url=$1
category=$2

wget $1

for ext in jpg jpeg png
do
    filename=$(ls *.$ext)
    if [ $? -eq 2 ]; then
        cp /var/www/blogger/scripts/$filename /var/www/blogger/gallery/_thumb/$category
        cp /var/www/blogger/scripts/$filename /var/www/blogger/gallery/$category
        mogrify -resize 160x140 /var/www/blogger/gallery/_thumb/"$category"/$filename
        rm /var/www/blogger/scripts/*.$ext
        break
    fi
done

Note if you dont wan't the error from ls to go to stderr you can redirect this to null like:

Code:
filename=$(ls *.$ext 2> /dev/null)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner bash scripting - a few problems

Hey Guys, I am creating a bash script on my freeBSD box, the script should basically ask the user to enter a username and domain. The script will take this information and basically append alot of information to config files so the user can receive email from that domain and create a web site at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: traxy
1 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Beginner Scripting Issue

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The object is to enter a number, then have another classmate guess the entered number. 2. Relevant commands,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jjohn1987
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for scripting beginner

hy guys, I have perl script provided to me but i need to convert it into shell .Can you help me in this using sed shell command. cat /etc/passwd |perl -ne '/^(\w+):\w+: (\w+)/ and print "$1, $2\n";' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: singh_king
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

scripting beginner

hi i have been given the task of sorting some scripting issues , i first of all need to decifer the ones that are being used is there anybody can do this for me :rolleyes: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aguiness
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginner scripting questions User variables

If there's anywhere to look this up, it would be just as helpful. I googled and really couldn't find anything relative to this. ok... General Variables 1) When creating a script I made a file "prog1.sh" does it matter if the end is .sh or is this what has to be done like prog.bash or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Scripting for school

Hello people, I am new to the forum and to scripting and I'm honored to be a part of the Forum :) At the moment I'm learning to do basic scripting for school. Now I got 2 assignments that I do not understand. The case scripting I have mastered a bit. But now I have an assingment to make with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hulsi88
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner - scripting help!

hi all, i am very new to linux and am trying to create a basic script. I would like the script to copy files from one directory into another, (e.g Script ~/my-documents/fileone ~/my-documents/filetwo) Once all files have been copied, i'd like another script to run automatically and rename... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: highland
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Bash Scripting Question

Hello, I am new to Linux and studying to become a Unix System Admin. I am taking a course in which I was practicing creating a bash script to ping a particular IP address. The script can be found below: #/bin/bash echo "Enter the IP address" read ip if then ping -c 1 $ip if ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shah9250
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Beginner at bash scripting - need help with passing arguments

I at the moment, making a simple bash script, capable of setting up an workspace for me, so i don't have to do it manually.. Problem is though i can't seem to provide the bash script any argument, without running into my error checks, checking for input... Here is the code: #!/bin/bash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidi
7 Replies
gst-launch-ext-0.8(1)						   User Commands					     gst-launch-ext-0.8(1)

NAME
gst-launch-ext-0.8, gst-launch-ext - run a predefined GStreamer pipeline SYNOPSIS
gst-launch-ext-0.8 filename [filename...] [gst-std-options] gst-launch-ext filename [filename...] [gst-std-options] DESCRIPTION
gst-launch-ext-0.8 runs a basic predefined GStreamer pipeline, and prints the name of the pipeline. gst-launch-ext-0.8 is only used as a quick test to ensure that codecs and GStreamer work properly. gst-launch-ext-0.8 does not handle more advanced features such as synchro- nization. OPTIONS
The following options are supported by gst-launch-ext-0.8 and gst-launch-ext: gst-std-options Standard options available for use with most GStreamer applications. See gst-std-options(5) for more information. The following options are supported by gst-launch-ext only: --gst-list-mm List found major/minor versions. This option displays the versions that are available. --gst-mm=string Force major/minor version. This option enables you to specify a specific version to run, if you do not want to run the default version. --print Print wrapped command line. This option displays the command that will be run, and then runs the command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filename The name of the GStreamer pipeline to run. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
gst-launch-ext-0.8 can be configured by creating a .gst file in your home directory. This PERL-style configuration file can override the default values for audio and video output sinks. The following example .gst file implements the same defaults as those hard-coded in the script: AUDIOSINK = osssink VIDEOSINK = ffmpegcolorspace ! xvimagesink You can change osssink to esdsink, alsasink, or sunaudiosink, and you can change xvimagesink to ximagesink, aasink, or sdlvideosink. You must have the appropriate plugin installed on the system to use the specified output sink. Other GStreamer plug-ins can also be used. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching a GStreamer Pipeline example% gst-launch-ext-0.8 filename EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gst-launch-ext-Executable to run a predefined GStreamer pipeline ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-media | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gst-complete(1), gst-compprep(1), gst-feedback(1), gst-inspect(1), gst-launch(1), gst-md5sum(1), gst-register(1), gst-thumbnail(1), gst- typefind(1), gst-xmlinspect(1), gst-xmllaunch(1), gstreamer-properties(1), libgstreamer-0.8(3), libgstgetbits(3), gst-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 14 Oct 2004 gst-launch-ext-0.8(1)