Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions linux service script for storing uptime Post 302480339 by DGPickett on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 03:03:05 PM
Old 12-14-2010
Well, /tmp is a bad place for records. I would put a nicely structured line in a file using 5 minute cron + a script that can tell if it is all 'UP', and maybe daily (not another cron, but smarts in this script to see that the file date is yesterday, maybe using date in the file name, start/use a new file and summarize any old file file in a summary log with a line for the day or any span of uptime or downtime. To tell if an old file has been summarized, move them to an archive dir after summarizing them. Preiodically, add them to a zip file and delete the uncompressed files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to autorestart if uptime greater than... help needed.

i'm trying to write a script that will check my os x box for uptime and autorestart gracefully if the uptime is greater than a certain number of days. thus far i have this: if uptime | cut -d ',' -f 1 | cut -d ' ' -f 4 -gt 10 ; then echo "yes" fi this doesn't work and i've tried... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: alternapop
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate server uptime in % (99.98), using ksh script

Let me preface by saying, I have looked through many threads that deal with keep the decimal, however I'm not sure that any one resolution meets my needs, ok, ok, they could. So maybe it's just that I am not understanding the resolution - therefore I am posting a new thread. myknowledgebase=at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cml2008
2 Replies

3. Programming

Linux Service

Hi, I want to write a service like windows service for my rhel4u5 server.And this service every day at 4:00 am connect a ftp server and download file then parse information at txt file then insert or update info at my database server(oracle).and this service can be stopped or paused by user.And... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ariyurek
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing lines of output into a script variable

I'm sure this is a simple thing but I can't figure it out. In a script that I'm writing, I'd like to be able to store each line of output from "ls -l" into a variable. Ultimately I'd like to end up with something like: for a in `ls -l` do something with $a doneBut that's reading each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewoods
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync - storing password in script

Hello, I wish to store the password in an rsync script so that when prompted it just enters the password. I know I can set up passwordless logins, but I have never been able to do this on this particular server so I am resorting to storing the password in the script: rsync -avz -e ssh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stuaz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

linux service script for storing uptime

Hi, Can you please advise a script for the following: write linux service named system_up_duration .This service will create one file named uptime in directory ‘/temp/'. In this file the service will store the total time for which the system is up and running .The file will be updated after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the uptime from the output of the uptime command

Hi! I want to extract the uptime from the output of the uptime command. The output: 11:53 up 3:02, 2 users, load averages: 0,32 0,34 0,43 I just need the "3:02" part. How can I do this? Dirk (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk Einecke
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script for taking inputs from one script and storing them into a document.

Hi. I wanted to create a Perl script which can take the outputs of a Perl script as it's input and temporarily store them in a document. Need help. Thanks.:) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtatic
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uptime script

How to write a shell script which can generate server uptime report from the UNIX servers? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paventhan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing the Linux command output to an array in perl script

Hi I am trying to store the output of a command into an array in perl script. I am able to store but the problem is i am unable to print the array line with one line space. i mean i inserted the \n in loop ...but not getting the result. I have written like this #!/usr/bin/perl @a =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
2 Replies
FAXCRON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							FAXCRON(8)

NAME
faxcron - HylaFAX routine maintenance script SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxcron [ -n ] [ -l lastrun ] DESCRIPTION
faxcron is a command script that does routine upkeep tasks in a HylaFAX spooling directory hierarchy. This script is intended to be invoked from cron(8) on behalf of the fax user (often the ``fax'' user is uucp) once a day, with the standard output sent by mail to the HylaFAX administrator. For example, the following crontab might be set up for the fax user: 25 23 * * * sh /usr/sbin/faxcron | mail FaxMaster The faxcron script does the following work: o report statistics for facsimile transmitted since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile transmitted in the past week. o report statistics for facsimile received since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile received in the past week. o report any recent calls that failed suspiciously and return the associated trace log; o purge data that is 30 days or older from the remote machine information directory; o delete information that is 30 days or older from session trace log files; o remove files from the tmp directory that are older than 1 day; o remove files in the received facsimile queue that are 7 days or older; o report sites that are currently having jobs rejected; and o force all session log files to be owned by the fax user and kept with protection mode 644. OPTIONS
-n Forces faxcron to run without updating any files. -l lastrun Forces the notion of the last time that faxcron was run to be lastrun. The value of lastrun is a date and time string of the form ``MM/DD/YY HH:MM'' (the date(1) format string ``%D %H:%M''). -info n Set the expiration time for data in the info database to be n days. -log n Set the expiration time for session log data to be n days. -rcv n Set the expiration time for files in the received facsimile queue to be n days. -tmp n Set the expiration time for files in the tmp directory to be n days. -mode m Set the file protection mode for session logs to m (a command line argument to chmod(1)). NOTES
This script requires nawk(1) or gawk(1) and a date (1) program that supports the ``+format'' option. If session logs are to be kept private this script must be modified to filter out sensitive information such as calling card numbers. (It should also be run with ``-mode 0600'' so that session log files are not publicly readable.) FILES
/var/spool/hylafax spooling area /var/spool/hylafax/status/lastrun timestamp of last run /usr/sbin/xferfaxstats for generating transmit statistics /usr/sbin/recvstats for generating receive statistics /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxcronXXXX temporary file for truncating session logs /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxlogXXXX temporary file for logs of failed calls SEE ALSO
cron(8), faxq(8), faxgetty(8), faxsend(8), xferfaxstats(8), recvstats(8), hylafax-server(5) May 12, 1996 FAXCRON(8)