Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with counting processes, bizzare behavior Post 302480300 by anurag.singh on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 01:10:36 PM
Old 12-14-2010
I guess following should be able to give the count of running $PROGNAME instances. Is it not?
Code:
count=$(pgrep -z global $PROGNAME | wc -l)

OR
Code:

count=$(ps -z global | grep $PROGNAME | grep -v grep | wc -l)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bizzare (while statement)

I'm trying to use the while statement to increment a positive number, with a leading "0". when I pass it through, it seems to come out with a negative value, and all the increments remain negative. This is what I have: i=010986294184 j=010986988888 while ; do echo $i i=(($i + 1)) done... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting Processes

I have a simple script that I want to notify me whenever there are anything other than one instance of a particular process running. I've always used the script: DPID_DW=$(ps -ef | grep | wc -l) if then echo "The data warehouse manager for DB is down" elif then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

4. Programming

very bizzare file writing problem

I'm trying to write a function which opens a file pointer and writes one of the function parameters into the file, however for some reason Im getting a core dump error. The code is as below void WriteToFile(char *file_name, char *data) { FILE *fptr; /*disk_name_size is a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
10 Replies

5. IP Networking

Bizzare network attack?

A server I host is having very rare glitches where a file the user downloads will have incorrect contents. This almost never happens when I am looking, I caught it once and only once -- a user messaged me saying his antivirus had given him a warning about an image file downloaded from his... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bizzare TCP/IP problem

Hi all. I have a really really weird problem that I've been working on for days. The problem manifested as users cannot connect to our web servers via SSH when they're using our wireless network. Here's where it gets weird: - Clients from anywhere other than the wireless subnet can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pileofrogs
4 Replies

7. Programming

Bizzare optimization problem

I have a C program that, for the life of me, I can't see any possible stack corruption in but for some reason corrupts a local variable to 0 when not referenced. My compiler is gcc 4.3.4. But my question's not really a code question, it's a compiler question. The glitch is weirdly specific: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Launchd-owned processes unexpected behavior

Ok, so I have been struggling with this for a few days and I think I need an explanation of a few things before I go any further. I'm not sure it's possible to do what I'm trying, so before I pull my hair out, here is what I'm doing: I have written a program in LiveCode that sits on our... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Error in script while counting processes

Hi all, Below is a script I'm writing and giving me error: #!/usr/bin/sh if ; then echo "Success!" else echo "Failure!" fi Normally if I do ps -ef|grep dw.sap|wc -l it gives me output of 18. So my script checks if it's greater than 17 it echoes success else failure ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bizzare behavior on redirect of stdout

Oracle Linux 5.6 64-bit (derivative of RHEL) Dear Ann Landers, This is about as bizarre as anything I've ever seen. I have a little test script I've been working with. When I redirect stdout to a file, no file. Make a copy of the script to another name. Execute it and redirect stdout, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
4 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)