Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find and Replace based on values in an file Post 302480230 by anurag.singh on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 09:38:15 AM
Old 12-14-2010
Code:

cat second_file | while read line
do
    old=${line%% *}
    new=${line##* }
    sed -i "s/$old/$new/g" first_file
done

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace based on other file

Hi All, I need an enlightenment. I have a file that some field need to be replaced. sample : fileA.txt abc,4#cik#221,text abc,4#kus#343,text ... ... what I need to replace is the "cik" and "kus" field to their fix value. I have another file : fileB.txt that has value of "cik and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunimi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace duplicate column values in a row

I have file which as 12 columns and values like this 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c,d,e b,c,a,e,f a,b,e,a,h if you see the first column has duplicate values, I need to identify (print it to console) the duplicate value (which is 'a') and also remove duplicate values like below. I could be in two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuthalapati
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace based on a list

Hello, I have two files 'Master' and 'Rename'. Rename has two columns, the first containing old names and the second new names. I want to replace the old names in the 'Master' file with the new names. I ran the following and it does not seem to work. What needs to be done differently? Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace many values

Dear Friends, I did the same question before in other thread, but I want to explain a little better my request. I am looking for a way how to find and replace a values in two files using a reference a file where are the key to replace. Basically, I want to keep a copy of the original file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiam912
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and count unique date values in a file based on position

Hello, I need some sort of way to extract every date contained in a file, and count how many of those dates there are. Here are the specifics: The date format I'm looking for is mm/dd/yyyy I only need to look after line 45 in the file (that's where the data begins) The columns of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronan1219
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a blank field and replace values to NA

Hi All, i have a file like col1 col2 col3 13 24 NA 12 13 14 11 12 13 14 22 NA 18 26 NA in this file if i found "NA" other values in the line are also replace by NA Could you help me! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace values using a list from a file

Hello Guys. I have a very big file where I need to change some values according a list on other file. The following file is were I have the values to be changed. The field where I need to replace the values is File_Nb : File1.txt Obs_Report_Result : # ===== (5)... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace string based on entries on another file

I have a file1 with different with multiple fields and records File2 has 2 fields. I want to find and replace strings in file1 based on file2 values (I Want an exact match i.e. for example: when searching for DT:3, Substr of DT:34 should not be matched) File2: DT:3 foo_err DT:34 bar_frr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find minimum and maximum values based on column with associative array

Hello, I need to find out the minimum and maximum values based on specific column, and then print out the entire row with the max value. Infile.txt: scf6 290173 290416 . + X_047241 T_00113118-1 scf6 290491 290957 . + X_047241 T_00113118-2 scf6 290898 290957 . + X_047241 T_00113119-3 scf6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies
REPLACE(1)						       MySQL Database System							REPLACE(1)

NAME
       replace - a string-replacement utility

SYNOPSIS
       replace arguments

DESCRIPTION
       The replace utility program changes strings in place in files or on the standard input.

Note
	   The replace utility is deprecated as of MySQL 5.7.18 and is removed in MySQL 8.0.

Invoke replace in one of the following ways:

shell> replace from to [from to] ... -- file_name [file_name] ...
	   shell> replace from to [from to] ... < file_name

from represents a string to look for and to represents its replacement. There can be one or more pairs of strings.

Use the -- option to indicate where the string-replacement list ends and the file names begin. In this case, any file named on the command
       line is modified in place, so you may want to make a copy of the original before converting it.	replace prints a message indicating which
       of the input files it actually modifies.

If the -- option is not given, replace reads the standard input and writes to the standard output.

replace uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. It can be used to swap strings. For example, the following command swaps
       a and b in the given files, file1 and file2:

shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ...

replace supports the following options.

o   -?, -I

Display a help message and exit.

o   -#debug_options

Enable debugging.

o   -s

Silent mode. Print less information what the program does.

o   -v

Verbose mode. Print more information about what the program does.

o   -V

Display version information and exit.

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright (C) 1997, 2018, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
       published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License.

This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
       MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
       Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.

SEE ALSO
       For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online
       at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/.

AUTHOR
       Oracle Corporation (http://dev.mysql.com/).

MySQL 5.7							    06/07/2018								REPLACE(1)