Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PATH Setting for all shells of a user Post 302480062 by JoyceBabu on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 01:42:09 AM
Old 12-14-2010
My knowledge in linux is limited. My default shell is bash. If I modify the .bash_profile file and export the new path, it will be only available within my bash shell, right? What if I want the new path to be available by default in all my shells? Is there another way, rather than edit all .<shell>_profile files?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting path for GCC?

Dear all, I have downloaded the latest version of gcc --- gcc-3.3.1.tar.gz from gnu.org. My Linux distribution is Mandrake 9.0. This was how I installed it: su - passwrd: mkdir /usr/local/src cd /usr/local/src gunzip /tmp/gcc-3.3.1.tar.gz #where I downloaded the file tar xvf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path

Hi all, I have a java command in a shell script. When i m executing the command from the prompt its working fine. But when i paste the same command in a shell script and execute the shell script it says path not found. Please help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Commands From Non-Standard Path (Changing user's PATH secretely???)

Hi: I have a requirement as below: I have some standard Unix commands modified and kept them in a directory say /usr/clsh/bin. For example I have a script named "ls" kept here which is modified version of "ls" (say it always gives long listing i.e. ls -l). When any user logs on and types... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh_samane
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Looking for resource on setting up history callback for shells

CSH, BASH, KSH, TCSH... They're all different, and I want to know how to setup automatic history for each of them? I always use KSH myself and use ctrl-k to bringup my history. It also allows me to search my history and has vi editing. I want to be able to do the same with other shells. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: srhadden
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a path in user's PATH variable

Hello Folks, I want to append a path in user's PATH variable which should be available in current session. Background Numerous persons will run a utility. Aim is to add the absolute path of the utility the first time it runs so that next runs have the PATH in env & users can directly run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Problem with path and child shells

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: a) Some Unix tools are at $HOME/mytools directory. Make these tools accessible for use from any directory. b)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justOne21
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up a private path

Hi all, This is probably a very simple question but I couldn't even think of how to phrase it intelligently so google could tell me the answer. Basically I am a user on a server, I am not the admin and do not have root privileges. I have downloaded a bunch of programs that I need to use and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavyK1984
2 Replies

8. Solaris

FTP user Issue and /etc/shells

Hi , I am trying to create a limited ftp user for a company on Solaris 10 . (uname : 5.10 i386) I use /bin/true shell for the user ((and use ftpconfig -d and adding user in ftpaccess guestuser)) but the problem is that when I try to log in by FTP it cannot login. when I change the shell to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barry1946
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role?

Trying to figure out the best method of security for oracle user accounts. In Solaris 10 they are set as regular users but have nologin set forcing the dev's to login as themselves and then su to the oracle users. In Solaris11 we have the option of making it a role because RBAC is enabled but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: os2mac
1 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)